Notices

Old 03-09-2011, 11:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello everyone.

I'm new here...and Im scared. Not of being judge, but just the idea of giving up alcohol scares the hell out of me. Im 26 years old now. Ive been drinking heavily since 18 or 19. I've always been a heavy drinker and used alcohol to suppress a lot of negativity in my life or just to get through it on a daily basis.

I'm one of those types that won't be able to stop once I have my first sip. I don't know how to drink in moderation. I dont understand how people can just "have a few drinks" and enjoy it. I would drink up until I pass out or can't drink no more and Im tired of being that person. Im tired of being this train wreck that Ive become.

Ive never been able to enjoy life...or do things without the company of alcohol, but I want to learn how to become sober. Ive gone through almost a decade abusing it and I would love for nothing more to be able to find the clarity, peace, and sobriety I need in order to find some bit of happiness.

Thanks for reading.

xo
Old 03-09-2011, 11:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You've come to the right place. I think you'll find that what you are looking for is what most of us are looking for. Read some of the other posts I'm sure they will sound familiar.

Welcome to SR
Old 03-09-2011, 12:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome! We're all pretty much like you Bella... Stories may vary slightly (sometimes eerily similar though!), but the plot is always the same. We're all also here because we want to change (or help others to). This place is just amazing for support so read away and see just how much it rocks!
Old 03-09-2011, 01:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hello fellow Californian!!! You've come to a great place for support as you begin your new life journey! Look around and see if you can find a recovery program that would work for you and feel free to ask questions!!!
Old 03-09-2011, 01:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Cause no harm

LBV, if you want the life without alcohol, it's there in front of you. Reach out, is is yours for the taking. All you have to do is not take that drink.
Of course there is a lot of work involved keeping it. But that just takes the sand to change what your doing and replace it with a new way of enjoying life without the bottle. Don't wait 40 years as I have done. Too much real living to do out there.
Visit often for good advice and help on your journey.
Old 03-09-2011, 02:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome LaBellaVita! You're in good company here. Many others here have made the decision to take control of their lives as you have, and you're sure to find a story that resonates with you here.

Please keep reading and posting, we're here with you every step of the way!
Old 03-09-2011, 02:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome! This is a great place to be if you are sick and tired of being sick and tired
Old 03-09-2011, 03:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR LaBellaVita
Old 03-09-2011, 03:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

You can learn.

You can learn how to get through a day without alcohol, even when you can't imagine it right now.

You can learn to have fun without alcohol, even though you have no idea what you will do.

I was in the 'very afraid' place too, but I had to take the Leap of Faith because my addiction was killing me.
Old 03-10-2011, 12:28 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone for the kind words and support. It really means a lot to me.

<3
Old 03-10-2011, 01:43 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
ste
unlearning

Originally Posted by LaBellaVita View Post
Hello everyone.

Ive never been able to enjoy life...or do things without the company of alcohol, but I want to learn how to become sober.

xo
Sometimes I need to unlearn something to make room for the new. Unlearn bad habits and conditioning. Like reflexive reaching for a bottle, for whatever reason.
Old 03-10-2011, 02:32 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome LaBellaVita I haven't been here long and I'm finding SR really helpful!
Old 03-10-2011, 02:39 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi LBV

I am a newcomer to recovery as well. I had my last drink on New Years Eve, and I related so much to your post. I was sooooo scared of giving it up. I decided to go to AA and geez it took me a bit to finally get through those doors, but I did it and am so grateful I did. It is scary but just hang in there, we are not alone in this and there is help out there for all of us if we are willing to seek it
Old 03-10-2011, 05:34 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome LBV,

It was scary in the beginning not having alcohol but it does get better with time