Notices

is over sleeping normal??

Old 03-01-2011, 08:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

is over sleeping normal??

3 weeks 1 day sober and I know that a lot of people have problems with sleeping, but Im the total opposite now - I cant get enough sleep. I've started having naps during the day aswell and go to bed not too late and am still tired in the morning. Anyone else felt like this after stopping??? Drinking cups of coffee and energy drinks and still tired!! Its beginning to annoy me!! I want more energy!!
Old 03-01-2011, 08:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

After the first few days of insomnia, yes I slept a ton. Sleep is healing and I figured I had been passing out for years instead of sleeping so my body was playing catch up.

I still need more sleep than I would like 8-9 hours but I'm ok otherwise. Listen to your body...but don't be afraid to go to the doctor if you are concerned.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

One other thing...exercise has helped my energy levels a lot! But seriously, the first 3 months my body was a wreck...tired and sick.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
In Memory of Dave

just wanted to say congrats on the 3 weeks.....on the sleep thing I'm no doctor so can't help you there but if your tired all the time you should check into it...if your like me you put your body through fits and its adjusting to a new way of life too.For right now,one thing to remember ,you cant use if your sleeping, like Bill murray said in caddy shack , atleast you got that going for you..God bless and keep doing what your doing
Old 03-01-2011, 08:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yeeeeuuuupppp, Went through the same thing. Don't remember how long it lasted. Then suddenly I had more energy than I'd had for years. Hang in there and sweet dreams LOL.

Ron
Old 03-01-2011, 08:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
totfit

Congratulations on three weeks. I think part of this may be attributed to the fact that you are finally detoxed and can fully relax. The "nervous energy" is gone and you are more near normal. Likely, over a bit more time you will swing back the other way again and get back in a normal routine. The previous comment about exercise is right on! There is NOTHING better for you than exercise and a good diet to fully ground yourself in getting better.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yeah i went through the same thing...lasted quite a while...i did mention it to the docs as i went for blood tests after his jaw hit the floor and he composed himself to speak he pointed out to me that drinking alcoholically for 2 decades might have had a toll on my body and hence why it is trying to repair some of the damage and why i feel sleepy lol...but if you're that worried about it go to docs and be honest?
Old 03-01-2011, 09:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for the post NewStart. Are you feeling depressed? Some people sleep much more than they would otherwise when they're depressed. Also, sleeping too much can also have the opposite effect on your energy levels. You can end up feeling tired, slow and groggy if you spend too much time asleep!
I'd definitely ask your doctor if things don't turn around sometime soon.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for the replies, good to hear others have been through this. Think I'll try the exercise approach - who knows where I'll get the energy from for that lol!
Old 03-01-2011, 09:57 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm glad to read this. Just under two months and during the past week I have been sleepy all of my waking hours. Hope it goes away soon.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:01 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

I slept all the time and was tired all the time. I did drugs and Alcohol to numb the pain of everything. Take that away and it was "welcome to the jungle" type of pain. It got better and now I am sober and happy. Good luck!
Old 03-01-2011, 11:02 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
I'm trying to try.

Hey NewStart. I've got the same thing going on lately.
I'm 8 days sober. I just slept for 14 hours and missed my 1pm class AGAIN.
Looks like 1pm is STILL too early for me, lol.

And I'm still tired!
Old 03-01-2011, 11:10 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
SR Fan

I was so tired for the first 3-4 months...... after that it got so much better, so hang in there! It's not uncommon at all.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:33 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Sleep, good food, good exercise and good thoughts - your body has been starved for all of them a long time, so give it what it needs.

Congrats on your 3 weeks, that's excellent!
Old 03-01-2011, 11:39 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I am enjoying my long uninterupted sleep lately too. Over 30 days sober...luckily, the dogs sleep in with me and don't pester!
Enjoy it while you can. Maybe try changing your diet?!
Old 03-01-2011, 11:44 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Start with a short daily walk and build from there. Check out the "kicking asphalt" thread further down the forum. I didn't do anything for the first 3 months...then I started walking...now I am training for a Marathon!
The better you take care of yourself the more you want to take care of yourself which also makes it easier to stay sober
Old 03-01-2011, 11:45 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Riding Barefoot

Yes, I think this is normal. At first I slept a lot... not sure whether it was because I didn't know whal else to do or I needed it, but I indulged. I am just at three months and suddenly feeling quite energetic... but that could just be that I'm feeling a bit euphoric over all the good things I have been experiencing. I must remember my body still needs sleep!

I second the exercise suggestion. Exercise keeps things in check... you'll get in better shape, up your energy levels during your awake times, and get better quality sleep when needed.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:56 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
is really trying!

CRAVING sleep far more than alcohol! Am KNACKERED, sober for 9th night tonight & averaging only 5hrs a night. Absolutely shattered. DO NOT want to drink, but honestly, would sell a kidney for 8 hrs oblivion! Have no appetite either & I could eat for Ireland usually. BAGS of energy during the day, but it all feels a bit excessive, I cycled with my daughter to school today (4miles for her, 8 for me), spent 7 hours filling a skip & painting, cooked dinner, now catching up with y'all. Feel really tired physically, but know that as soon as I lie down after my night prayers brain will go into overdrive for several hours. HELP before I dig out the gin... :u) -won't really.

Peace x
Old 03-01-2011, 04:22 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Insomnia did become an issue for me after I quit drinking (returned as a problem), but I also experienced feeling like I couldn't get enough sleep too. It wasn't just a case of having to catch up on it, there was also a kind of voracious appetite for sleep.

My experience is that it goes back and forth, but not as extreme as in the early days, like maybe the first 6 months. That's when it was probably the worst of either insomnia or "sleep gluttony". Same with feeling like I had no energy left. The only thing that seemed to make a difference was maintaining physical activity on a routine basis. It got better. If you're worried about it taking too long, then I guess it will take asking the doctor what is going on.

For me, things are going best when I am up as of sunrise or sooner and when I maintain that no matter what. And that actually means getting less than the recommended amount of sleep. Usually I hear that you are supposed to get about 8 or 9 hours minimum. I don't think that has ever applied to me, and I refute it. I like to get 6 or 7 hours, and maybe a splurge day on Sat or every other Sat. Don't take my comments as though it's medical advice though. What would be good is if you can find the right balance that works for you and that will be good for your health.
Old 03-01-2011, 04:29 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

NewStart I am so glad you asked this question.

I am three weeks sober today (yay!). I have so been so tired myself. Can't seem to get enough sleep. Glad to hear this seems to be normal. I was a bit worried.

Thanks everyone for sharing!