Family healing thru recovery...

Old 02-24-2011, 01:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Family healing thru recovery...

Wow..my SIL who is a recovering addict has 13 years clean.Due to things that happened while she was using my husband and she have seen each other 2 times 15 years.She has been in contact with my addicted daughter and gone to see her several times at her sober living.
Well, her step-son (that she and her husband soley raised...mom was an untreated addict) was killed in a car accident on Monday. Yesterday as I was pulling into my Alanon meeting she called me looking for my husband..she apologized for anythigng she had done in her addiction that had hurt me..and there was alot.I told her how much that meant (after saying how sorry I was for every parents worst nightmare). My husband called her and she did the same with him.
It is so awful that it took a tragedy to get this family back in touch, but at least there can be a little healing and comfort in the midst of the grieving.
If I hadn't been in recovery I am not sure if I would have been open to receive her apoplogy, if she wasn't in recovery, she couldn't have given it, and in the middle of it all is my newly recovering daughter connecting us all.
Recovery is a beautiful thing.
Old 02-24-2011, 03:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Recovery reminds me of the butterfly effect, and that reminds me of the cocoon and butterfly metaphor (necessary struggle) used so often in the addiction community.

Your daughter and her stepson have helped bring you all to a precious place. There's a beautiful monarch breaking free right now
Old 02-24-2011, 05:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

(((Keep))) - I'm sorry it took a death to bring everyone together, but wow...how awesome that everyone is in recovery, and your daughter is the one connecting you all.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 02-25-2011, 07:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

How very sad that your SIL lost her stepson in a tragic accident. I can't even imagine.

I remember you talking about your SIL in previous posts and your feelings and concerns regarding her past actions and behaviors. Recovery is a beautiful thing and I am so happy that your entire family is healing.

Your SIL, your daughter, your family and you are in my prayers, Keepinon.

gentle hugs
Old 02-26-2011, 01:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Keepinon,
It takes a big hearted person to accept an apology and to move on from there with compassion. That is you.
Old 02-26-2011, 06:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry it took such tragedy, but so glad that you all were in a place to allow the reconnection and the ability to heal. Recovery truly is a beautiful thing.