Notices

Time to get help

Old 02-14-2011, 06:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Time to get help

I have been taking lorcet, percocet, lortab, vicodin, (basically anything I can get my hands on) for the past 5 years. It all started with a back and neck injury and surgery followed that, then this past September, I had total hip replacement. My doctor has stopped prescribing the pain medication and I have actually talked to him about quitting and he just seems like he doesn't care and wants me to go to pain management. I have been buying them off the street and I feel so low. Also, my doctor is leaving at the end of this month, so I guess I wont be his problem anymore.
I have always had emotional problems and problems with spending too much money, It has almost caused me to lose my husband several times, but he has stuck by me. He doesn't know about the pain pill addiction and I'm afraid to tell him. I have tried to go for 1 day without the pain meds and I end up looking for them, because I can't function. I work a full time job and don't know how I would explain being out if I did go cold turkey.
My Dad is in the last stages of Alzheimers and my Mom had a bad stroke last year, so both of them are in assisted living facilties. It just gets worse and worse and here lately the thought of quitting makes me mentally and physically sick. It's like I know I have got to, but then I can't grasp what life will be like If I do. I can't enjoy anything, because I am always worried about if I have enough pills. This coming weekend, we have a chance to go out of town with friends, but I can't get excited, because I don't know if I will have pills and if I don't, I will be sick and won't be able to enjoy myself, although I can't anyway, because I am numb. Nothing makes me happy anymore, it's like my life revolves around the pills and I have panic attacks thinking about not having them. I have read on here that if I could get past the withdrawals, life would seem a lot clearer and that is what I want so bad. I want to be able to enjoy my grandchild and take walks and see the world again, but all i can do is think about the pills. I hate them and wish I had never taken the first one! Please help!
Old 02-14-2011, 08:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Hooligan

I think the first step would be maybe coming clean to your doctor and maybe make a plan with him/her to handle the situation.

These pills have now sucked you into the vicious cycle of addiction, and it is not an easy one to break. The other thing with pain pills is that as time goes on tolerance gets greater and greater requiring you to take more and more to get the feeling your looking for. I know of many people who have fallen into the world of pain pills it starts off chasing the high but ends with taking them constantly to avoid getting sick, that is no way to live.

Good luck on your quest, and if you have not seen there is a substance abuse sub forum the members in there I'm sure can help you out greatly.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome!!!
Old 02-14-2011, 08:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome

Keep sharing...we do recovery together by helping each other.