Notices

Poop happens...and for that I'm grateful.

Old 02-13-2011, 05:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Eating protein and life.

Poop happens...and for that I'm grateful.

Last week I got sick physically…and then mentally.

A nasty cough had been going around the office and I had been able to fight it off somehow by what I thought were healthy habits; I was eating properly, working out, drinking plenty of water, and getting my sleep.

It happened on a night that I only got about three hours of sleep and proceeded to workout with my typical fervor in the wee hours of the morning; my immune system must have been compromised and I fell ill.

A series of events transpired from that sickness and I realized that my outlet for pain had been shut off as if someone had closed the tap. As I felt my sense of purpose slowly leaving me coupled with my physical discomfort, those old familiar thoughts invaded my noodle.

Depression’s cold unrelenting hand was now firmly placed upon my shoulder and pushing me to the ground. It remained even as I began to drink from the fountain of health and get well physically, day by day. I found happiness replaced with melancholy, tranquility replaced with rage, and hope replaced with despair.

Although exceedingly unpleasant, I’m thankful for this opportunity and for this pain. Both have caused me to recognize a hole in my fabric…bricks missing in the castle of my new life that I’ve been so diligently building. Sometimes great pain can provide an education is similar proportions if one is willing to listen and learn.

I realized that I only had one major outlet for my troubles and, by comparison, it was superficial. Being physically active was my source of relief…my remedy for my celebrations and my sorrows. In some ways I learned that I am truly an instrument of a higher power and I needed this opportunity to become finer tuned; I was playing a melody outside of my conductor’s instruction.

I’m glad it didn’t take more pain than was necessary to bring me back and for that mercy I am very grateful. Leaning more on spirituality (God if you’ll take it), which includes other people (as I see them as extensions of God) was my lesson. The gym and my being able to work out may not always be there, but my spirituality will be if I’m vigilant and disciplined.

It seems the most valuable lessons that I learn in my life are often the most simple and seemingly obvious, it is I who complicate them.

Last week I got sick physically…and then mentally. It was a privilege.
Stick a fork in me, I’m done…and I feel better so thanks for letting me share a bloom of my recovery.
Old 02-13-2011, 06:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Old 02-13-2011, 06:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

besides the thanks button untox, I appreciate your post and i can learn from it....i hope you are feeling better.

i think i am coming down with something too...physically....i'm congested and coughing.
Old 02-13-2011, 08:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Glad you are back buddy. Great post, thank you. Big hugs
Old 02-13-2011, 08:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Untoxicated View Post

It seems the most valuable lessons that I learn in my life are often the most simple and seemingly obvious, it is I who complicate them.
Thank you for this very wise and very true observation. If you don't mind, I am going to put it on a 3 x 5 card and post it somewhere I read and think about it.
Old 02-13-2011, 08:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lyddie View Post
Thank you for this very wise and very true observation. If you don't mind, I am going to put it on a 3 x 5 card and post it somewhere I read and think about it.
I second that.
Old 02-13-2011, 01:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Eating protein and life.

Originally Posted by lyddie View Post
You're more than welcome and I don't mind at all. (I think I might do the same in an effort to keep me honest. )