Notices

First Timer/Alcoholic Posting - 48 hours sober

Old 02-09-2011, 10:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First Timer/Alcoholic Posting - 48 hours sober

Hello All,

My name is Jay. I have been looking through the site now for a few days reading through different peoples stories of illness, recovery, sobriety, and falling off again. Here is a brief (what I hope to be) description of my story.

I wont go far back into my history with alcohol and drugs, but rather summize, and concentrate on now.

I am 36 years old. I began drinking when I was 16, occasionally on weekends, maybe a six pack of beer, if that. I continued to drink off and on through my 20's, always considering myself a "social drinker". There would be many weeks or even months where I wouldnt drink at all throughout these years. Briefly in regards to my drug use, I was pretty habitual with pot for about 6 years in my early 20's. Had a 4 month or so experience with cocaine around the same age, mid 20's, which i havent done since. And also in my late teens had a few (maybe 10 in total) experiences with LSD and Shrooms, again havent done since. I've smoked pot on the rare occasion still....once or twice a year maybe till this point. So that is a summaton of my usage in the past.

As I reached 30 I began drinking more regularly, again though always still considering it to be social drinking. Wouldnt keep beer or wine or liquor at home. Not intentionally, just never thought about it. But when I went out with friends, dinner, social events alcohol was always involved. Working towards the present day....

Over the past 4 years or so I know there has been a definite increase in my drinking. I am not going to make any excuses or reasoning for it, but I have had some things happen in my life that I feel have set me back. For example, open heart surgery at 32. Being engaged and having that dissolve shortly thereafter. Trouble with employment over the same period. I know the immediate assumption is that drinking caused all of this. To that I would say some may be attributed, and some was just me falling into a mental rut seperately. And YES, it is possible to be an alcoholic, and have problems in your life that arent related to alcohol.

Just this past year I moved from New York to Florida for a fresh start, not to mention not being able to stand the winter (my apologies go out to a lot of you reading this who have gotten it bad this winter). I've been in FL for about 5 months, still unemployed out of total lack of effort and initiative (your asking how im survivng financialy....I had money put away which is now quickly dwindling). On to my drinking.

I know I'm an alcoholic. I have turned to it out of boredom and loneliness. How often do i drink you ask? Well pretty much 98% of the days over the last 2 years. Almost exclusively at night, but on occasion during an afternoon. How much? used to be vodka, about a fifth per day, sometimes maybe half that. Last few months had switched to wine. Anywhere from 1-2 bottles per day.

I "quit" drinking 2 1/2 days ago. Or should probably say at this point I havent had a drink in the last 2 and a half days, which i havent done in months. My orirginal reason for logging in here was to see what other people experienced and went through upon quitting. Physical and mental withdrawl, etc. I've read many stories, and was aware of a lot of other ones before arriving here.

Everyone is different, so there is no set "withdrawl". I guess as of now I'm a little surprised as to how my body and mind seem to be reacting. Havent had any major withdrawl symptoms to my knowledge as of yet besides trouble sleeping, and yes thats a big one. But none of the usual mentioned.....shakes, sweats, chills, fogginess, heart palpitations, blood pressure issues, etc. None of these, and I've been keeping a close eye on myself. Im not fooloish either, I know it has only been 2 and a half days so I know there could be a lot more to come. But as of now I had expected worse initially.

Overall I was just looking to post my story, become "officiallly" part of the group and also entertain any thoughts on anything that I have commented on. Whether it be advice, some others experiences, criticism. all responses are welcome and appreciated.

Thank you for taking the time to read and maybe I'll hear from some of you.

Jay
Old 02-09-2011, 10:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

Welcome, and thanks for joining us! I found this site on the day I knew I could no longer have a casual relationship with alcohol. Been here and alcohol-free ever since. Lots more has gone into my recovery, but SR.com is an awesome resource.

You're right, withdrawals can vary greatly. I had some really bad experiences with withdrawals, and I also went through some that weren't that bad (comparatively).

When I knew I had to quit drinking, it came upon me instantaneously. I didn't plan to quit, but in 1 instant it happened like a flash; I knew I would never have the life I wanted if I continued to drink. Poured the beers out, and haven't had one since.

For my recovery, I literally had to change the way I viewed almost everything; myself, my addiction, my relationships with people, my future, my spiritual and religious beliefs...it's been an ongoing process, and it's been incredible, and I can't wait to see where it takes me.

Thanks for joining us. I hope you're able to find some support here. You shouldn't have to look too far.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

Welcome Jay!
What a blessing you are not having bad physical withdrawals!
So, do you have a plan?
Old 02-09-2011, 11:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Jay, Welcome to SR - glad you are here.

You will plenty of info and support and I assure you that it is possible to change!

Looking forward to the journey.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi again...
I replied to your other thread in Alcoholism
and appreciate you gave more info here.

Many of us are winning over alcohol...and Yes!
you can too.
Glad you decided to begin your journey...
Old 03-23-2011, 06:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome Jay!
Old 03-23-2011, 06:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome Jay.

Not sure what specific advice you want but this place has been a huge help for me since day 1. It's safe to say that people will do their best to help you along the way.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Jay, I also was drinking wine like you and just knew I had to change. It is 3 months for me now and I could not be happier, back then I would not have thought it possible. Good for you.SR is fantastic and has been a backbone to my recovery, I look forward to hearing how you go. Remember to go to the DR if you think things start going bad.

I had some help with some meds from the DR while detoxing and it put my mind and rest and allowed me to focus on getting better and ready for this new phase of my life. Well done for the decision, you won't regret it, I promise.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Welcome, glad your withdrawal has not been bad.

Some people get the (erroneous) idea that if they don't have bad withdrawal symptoms, their drinking "isn't so bad." It's only one sign of dependency. The biggest problem for alcoholics is what's going on between the ears.

What's your plan for staying sober? AA has been great for me...
Old 03-23-2011, 06:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Jay. I have used SR daily since making the decision to quit drinking. I also attend SMART recovery meetings in person, once a week or so. Really glad to hear your withdrawals are not bad. The sleep thing goes away quickly for a lot of people.

I'm a little over 40 days sober and have found something I really did not expect. My energy level is vastly improved. My drive and ambition have increased as well. I truly have a fresh start with my life. I hope you find the same. Keep reading and posting.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:58 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

Welcome Jay!