Notices

taking the plunge

Old 02-09-2011, 05:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

taking the plunge

I'm not sure where I stand on the alcoholic scale, but I know that I want to cut down (or out) drastically.

I live in Spain where there is a large drink culture. Our (my husband and I) habit is to go for a drink around 5-6pm after work and we always end up having about 4-5 drinks (usually wine in my case). When we get home we have more wine with dinner.
My problem is that once I have 1 glass, I don't want to change to something boring and non-alcoholic. Even if we don't go out we will share about 3 bottles of wine between us.
I stopped for 3 months last year as I felt I was becoming very unhealthy and overweight. During that time I had a couple of holidays from my self-imposed ban e.g. weekend away, anniversary. I had set a target for the 3 months and the little holidays were planned before I started, they weren't lapses as such. After the end of the 3 months, I had lost nearly 20lbs and was feeling much healthier and merrily went back to having my evening sessions at the pool bar with everybody else. Unfortunately I've slowly built back up the drinking levels and have put back on 14lbs!
I promised myself I would stop this January for 6 months, but am finding myself unable to do so. I don't have any physical cravings for alcohol (no withdrawal symptoms when I gave up last year) I truly believe it is a bad habit that I need to break. I tell my husband that we need to cut down, but he doesn't think we have any problem at all (even though he is about 30lbs overweight). By the time he suggests we pop down to the pub, I've lost my will-power and off I go thinking I'll start the next day.
You're probably thinking "screaming alcoholic" and maybe I am, but I'm not at that stage mentally if it's true. I just need some will-power to help me stop when the 'glass of wine by the pool with friends' beckons every day.
I am certainly not at the stage where I will go to AA meetings or visit a doctor, I am sure I can do it on my own. I gave up smoking 15 years ago without any lapses.
I have read with great interest the thread on antabuse and I really believe it could be the tool to help me. I would appreciate a bit of advice on this - but please don't tell me to go see somebody - I want to try myself first.
Thanks
Old 02-09-2011, 01:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Mutz. Can't say that you are an alcoholic or not but you are here for a reason. From my experience, shear will power alone is tough, especially if you are placing yourself in the situations that you say you are. Good luck!
Old 02-09-2011, 01:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome
Unfortunately, all my advice involves telling you to see somebody - primarily a Dr if you've been drinking regularly for a while.

Detox can be problematic for some.

I hope you'll find SR useful.
D
Old 02-09-2011, 01:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by mutznutz View Post
You're probably thinking "screaming alcoholic" and maybe I am, but I'm not at that stage mentally if it's true. I just need some will-power to help me stop when the 'glass of wine by the pool with friends' beckons every day.
I am certainly not at the stage where I will go to AA meetings or visit a doctor, I am sure I can do it on my own.
Welcome. You claim you aren't an alcoholic, but are willing to try antabuse?
Antabuse is used to treat chronic alcoholism! You don't use it to break a "bad habit" as you call it. If you aren't an alcoholic, willpower alone will be enough. If you can't do it with willpower, perhaps you will reconsider your situation and seek appropriate support.