Notices

Day 1 for me

Old 02-09-2011, 04:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 1 for me

Today is the first time in 30 years that I havent smoked unless I was locked up. 3 packs a day has really done a number on me. Its only been 1 day but can I breath easier already. My boss and my girls are petrified as I have a bit of that Sicilian temper, and to be honest with you all I am too. Just putting it out there...
Old 02-09-2011, 04:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I used to smoke 40-60 myself.

It can be done - great move !
D
Old 02-09-2011, 05:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

You can do it! I quit some years ago.
Old 02-09-2011, 05:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good for you, I quit on Dec. 1 and haven't looked back. I found the physical part of it wasn't nearly as difficult as the mental. Stay strong, you can do it.
Old 02-09-2011, 05:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Awesome Stu and woot!! Over 20 years here and I am always battling the damn thing. One would think I could quit drinking that the smokes would be a no brainer. Every day I try again.....not much left but I want a permanent smoke free scenario....i have to.

Your post inspires me friend to work harder.

Keep us updated
Old 02-09-2011, 06:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
not little, a stranger no more

Awesome that you decided to get rid of the cigs. I probably tried to quit smoking more often than I tried to quit drinking.
My sober date is in my smoke-free date too, I'm still wondering how I managed to pull that one off...probably because drinking and smoking were very closely connected for me. Even if you feel cranky and irritable in the beginnig, it's so worth it. After that, life is so much less stressful, becuase you'll never have to think again about when you can take a smoke break, if smoking is allowed where you are, or if you are going to run out of cigs. Your body will be thankful, and after a while, everything smells and tastes so much better too. You can do this!
Old 02-09-2011, 08:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
SR Fan

I'm SO happy for you and SO jealous! I've been at it 30 years myself, but in my case, I smoke when I paint. I managed to quit for 8 months a couple years ago but my income went way down (had to keep taking walks!).

I think it's awesome and I know what it felt like to be able to take a deep breath again. Some people get the "smoker's flu" (like a bad cold and cough) in the first week - I guess because all those little cells in the lungs are waking up. Hang in there!!!!

I agree with coop that it's the mental. But wow, it sounds like you're doing it! Yea!
Old 02-09-2011, 10:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Oh, so glad it is the cigarettes and not the booze. You had me there for a minute or two.
Tried quitting many many times and always, start again. Hopefully I'll be sucessful soon.
You can do this!
ODAAT!
Old 02-09-2011, 10:47 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Stu! I am so happy for you! I quit the cancer sticks in September after about 40 years. I took Chantix and I think it helped but has some harsh side effects. I think having recovery skills in sobriety helped me a great deal. In the beginning when I would get a heavy urge, I'd tell myself "Not now. Maybe later." and that seemed to help too.

Congratulations, my friend! It is possible to be nicotine free. My husband still smokes but I realize my recovery from smokes is on ME.

Love,

Lenina
Old 02-09-2011, 10:55 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
c49
Its time for bed

Good Luck Stu. I quit for good almost 10 years ago. Its a day at a time thing for sure!
Old 02-09-2011, 10:58 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Stu...I am high five slapping you all over the room!!! I THINK IT IS GREAT! I am a horrible nicotine addict. I have an RX for Chantix that I have not filled yet...something about stuff I read scares me which makes NO sense because of all the damage I am doing by continuing to smoke. I wish you ALL my best...if you make it..maybe I will make it!!!
Old 02-09-2011, 11:02 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Sicilian ...that's Italian, right?

forget the smokes and
eat pasta.:rotfxko
Old 02-09-2011, 11:10 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

So far, so good. I apologized to all my co workers in advance this morning and there are no dead bodies......yet. Thanks everyone.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:27 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good for you, Stu!
Old 02-09-2011, 03:27 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I hope you weren't offended stugotz
with my Italian remark.

I had to laugh when I saw Sicilian
because im Italian. Dont think I
have a temper and I cant smoke.

See I tried so hard but only got
sick and turned green.
Old 02-09-2011, 04:48 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Congratulations to YOU!!! I stopped smoking in October.....I feel great. I read the boook by Allen Carr Easy Way to Quit Smoking, and checked into a web site "Quitnet" often.... all the support you can get helps. If I can do it anyone can. Awesome job so far.....keep it up.
Congratulations!!!!!
Old 02-10-2011, 09:24 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Love your nickname!!
Old 02-10-2011, 10:58 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

Hope this goes well for you, Stu. I'll be 30 in May and I'm hoping to kick the smokes by then. Best of luck to you sir.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:26 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Trudging that road.

Congrats I have had a box of patches in my closet forever but there they still sit. My mom died on 6/6/09 from COPD and you would think watching that whole ugly process would do it but its just like my disease with alcoholism/drugs you never think it will or can happen to you. I thought of going to a hypnotist because I heard that works for some? I know I need to do something very soon cause I already have the wheez and it is icky!!Blessing's as you continue down your path PS Hide the bodies if it comes to that. lol

Last edited by newby1961; 02-10-2011 at 11:32 AM. Reason: sp.
Old 02-10-2011, 04:31 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

good for you! I quit 4 years ago after 29 years of smoking....cold turkey and have been just fine. I found that cutting out caffiene helped with curbing the cravings.
I'm a coffee drinker so I switched to decaf to ease my habit. I could still drink coffee but without the caffeine to increase the urge to counter act the nicotein.

So if you normally take in caffiene and you dump the nicoteine ....the caffiene will make you nuts without the nicotiene to counteract it. Try dropping the caffeine...which I eventually gradually went back to (but not as much which is also good). It takes 10 to 14 days to physically adjust from the cold turkey...but hang in there you already know what to do about being an addict with cravings.

I treated my cig cravings just like the drug cravings...oh duh...that's what they are. Just sayin'......

there are no dead bodies......yet.
LOL

Bests to ya!
Missy