Notices

I said it out loud for the first time today...

Old 02-05-2011, 09:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I said it out loud for the first time today...

I have a drinking problem.

It's come to the point where it's starting to really screw up my life. My relationship is suffering, the quality of my work is suffering, I'm sure my health will begin to suffer if I keep going. I have been in denial for some time now and it's just not cutting it anymore. I finally said it out loud, that I have a problem and I need to stop. Tears came to my eyes almost immediately. I feel so ashamed that this has become an issue for me. I feel low and not worthy of love or friendship.

So now I need to turn the corner and start getting better...and I thought this would be a good place to start. I hope to find some new friends and some support to help me get through this difficult time and remind myself that I can be beautiful and happy and alive again.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and I look forward to being a part of this forum! :-)
Old 02-05-2011, 09:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome.

Dive in. The water is warm and you will find plenty of friends and support here.

And it does getter better. The Sun does break again. It may not look like it will come back out during a turbulent and violent storm, but the Sun does shine again.
Old 02-05-2011, 09:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome aboard LiveLoveLearn82

This place has been a constant source of inspiration and support for me - I hope it will be for you too

D
Old 02-05-2011, 10:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the best recovery site everywhere. YOu'll find a lot of support and useful information here.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi LiveLoveLearn! It is a rude awakening when you admit that alcohol has taken control and everything that you care about is suffering. BUT SR is a good place to start! You will find love and support here.

I feel low and not worthy of love or friendship.
You are worthy. One thing alcohol does..it robs you of your self esteem. I think once you get some sober time you will see things differently. I am glad you found us! Welcome..
Old 02-05-2011, 10:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congrats, that's a major step, probably one of the most important ones you'll take.

Don't be ashamed. There are a lot of people who go through this and you're on the right path now. A little humility is probably good but what is shame going to accomplish?

This board has helped me a lot so I hope you stick around.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Welcome to SR!
Old 02-05-2011, 11:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you so much everyone for your welcome! I am going to need the support and it feels really great to get so many warm replies so quickly!

A little more about myself: I started drinking in college socially but it never really got out of hand until I began working on cruise ships. About 2 years ago I found myself drinking alone, and drinking for all the wrong reasons, etc etc. Heavy drinking is very common among ship crew, which makes it harder to tell when your habit has become a habit, or a problem like it has for me.

My concern now is how much getting sober is going to negatively impact my life. I know so much good will come of it, but I'm afraid my social life will suffer, and maybe my boyfriend won't think I'm any fun or worse, leave me if I tell him I need to stop drinking? I don't know...he's a wonderful man but I'm afraid this might be too heavy for him to deal with. Any suggestions on how to approach him with this?
Old 02-05-2011, 11:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Addmitting you need help can be scarey but I'm glad you
are breaking out of denial. Nothing changes if you stay stuck
with your drinking mind set.

Keep reminding yourself you never have to drink again...
we can and do recover..

Welcome to our recovery community ...
Many of us have been where you are..and now we are non drinkers.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:46 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Trudging that road.

I hope your boyfriend doesn't leave you if you love him, but to be honest this is a progressive and fatal disease so if you continue down that path of destruction I am guessing sooner or later you would lose him anyway? I related to the shame and the low self esteem when i came in several years ago now, I couldn't imagine the life I have today but it takes time. I go to AA and that takes care of a lot of my social life cause there are not enough hours in the day with all the activity that takes place. If I am not at a mtg I am helping a newcomer, or doing some other type of service. On the weekends they have dances and I also travel around a lot and go to the various conventions. They also have sober cruises, those are not like any other cruises I have ever been on. So welcome and try not to listen to your head right now its just gonna give you a whole lot of negative advise. I have to remember my best thinking got me in the mess I was in so I needed to reach out to other sober women who had some sober time and could help me take this journey. Its not a great idea to do it alone. Keep the Faith
Old 02-06-2011, 07:01 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I've never heard a single person with a substantial amount (let's say a year) of sobriety who felt that being sober had a negative impact on his or her life. It can FEEL that way, at first, but that's largely because we are so used to using alcohol to cope with life that it feels strange at first to have to rely on something else. It feels weird, like we are doing it "wrong", but once you get accustomed to living life sober (especially if you have a program like AA to help you learn to live sober), you will be amazed at how much opportunity you have to live the life you were meant to live.
Old 02-06-2011, 07:44 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome LiveLoveLearn82! You came to the right place for support and friends.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:07 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome!!!
Old 02-06-2011, 08:25 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Live! =)) You came to a site that I started about 6 days ago when I knew it was time for me to get help and support. And I am happy to say I am 6 days sober! =) They all have been supportive to me and I will tell you...... they will for you also. I have taken the same step as you and finally said aloud ..."I have a drinking promblem!" Great place to be Live.... I found this site with the luck of Jesus with so many sites out there and I can tell you, you found the BEST one! Come to chat sometime and let get to know 1 n other.. You can say that you have made another friend on here that will have you're back ...... and that is me! =)) Congrads on doing the right thing and it will be a long journey for us but...... we have all our friends on here that will be there when others won't! Remember someone that does not drink or abuse, does not know what we are going through! And here everyone does so, there input is what we need. Welcome and hope to chat with you soon! =D
Old 02-06-2011, 08:48 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hi LLL and welcome - I had all the same thoughts and fears going into sobriety and just couldn't imagine life without drinking. But I could see that I would have to eventually stop... either now or after some doctor told me I had liver disease, or whatever.

It's all about taking it one day at a time- (I spent much of the first days on this forum, but there's AA and other resources, too). It would be nice to have your BF's support, but first and foremost you have to think about the rest of YOUR life. If he leaves because you're not "fun enough", well.....I doubt that's a guy you'd want to get serious about anyway.....(?)

You can do it....... - we're behind you all the way!:day6
Old 02-06-2011, 12:51 PM
  # 16 (permalink)