Notices

Statistic_alert,_statistic_alert

Old 01-22-2011, 06:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Statistic_alert,_statistic_alert

Hi all-

I'm taking a state approved DUI class and I wanted to pass on this statistic-

70% of all drinkers only drink 10% of all the alcohol consumed in the United States

So, if only 10% of all the alcohol is consumed by 70% of the population, that then means that the rest of the drinking U.S., the remaining 30%, is drinking 90% of all the alcohol sold!

The alcohol industry is making millions and millions (maybe even billions?) off 30% of the drinking population.

...and what do we (the 30%) get for our loyality? Bad decisions, lying, cheating, stealing habits, hangovers, car accidents, lost jobs, divorces, abuse, alcoholism, and even death (and that's just to name a few).

Boy are we suckers. I'm so happy I'm sober and not getting fooled any longer.

Kjell
Old 01-22-2011, 06:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Yea...its a dirty deal being at the wrong end of those statistics. Thank my lucky charms that it needs not to be .

Old 01-22-2011, 06:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Hm, another sobering statistic.

Thanks for sharing!
Old 01-22-2011, 08:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Glad I'm no longer part of those statistics.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I must confess...

It was I that drank 85% of the alcohol sold. That still leaves 5%.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
Glad I'm no longer part of those statistics.
Amen!
Old 01-23-2011, 04:52 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

I'm heading out for day # of this 3 day class (20 hours total).

Another interesting part of the class is we are examining the beer and liquor ads. I used to laugh at all those "bud light" commercials and now I see them in a much different light.

I know my alcoholism has nothing to do with how everyone else chooses to drink, but in saying that, the United States has a dangerous social dependence and acceptance of our drinking culture and that in-itself is causing a lot of problems for a fairly large percentege of the population (again, for us, the 30%). Much of that is in our advertising.

Ok, I'm out to learn. Have a great day!
Old 01-23-2011, 08:04 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Burn to ashes, rise in flames

Originally Posted by gerryP View Post
I must confess...

It was I that drank 85% of the alcohol sold. That still leaves 5%.

Kjell, thanks for sharing that statistic. Really makes me think. How was class today? I think it's neat that you're analyzing advertising in your class. Lately whenever I drive at night I take inventory of every liquor store on every corner and all the full bars. It's just so... normalized. Eh, I should probably save my commentary until I've finished another cup of coffee but truly, thank you for sharing, and hope you're having an awesome day, too!
Old 01-23-2011, 10:42 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

well could it be that the other 70% are not honest when asked about their drinking habits? It always makes me wonder, if you ask my family nobody drinks or has more then 1 drink per week, however since I lived with them I know otherwise......
Old 01-23-2011, 11:04 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by Kjell View Post

So, if only 10% of all the alcohol is consumed by 70% of the population, that then means that the rest of the drinking U.S., the remaining 30%, is drinking 90% of all the alcohol sold!
Glad to see the percent remaining has gone up to 30%

When I was drinking it was .001% LOL!
Old 01-23-2011, 04:57 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Speaking of normalization, though- it strikes me funny that while America is crammed full of liquor stores and bars, and lots of folks drink, it's still considered something to hide or downplay.

In Britain, SO MANY people drink like fishes all the time- they practically live in their local pub, and bad behavior seems totally socially acceptable- nay, EXPECTED! Part of me things perhaps that's healthier, even if it doesn't reward healthy behavior.
Old 01-23-2011, 05:57 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I recently watched a show on BBC America.
It was called something like
"what did i do last night?"

now, these are people who call there drinking normal or having fun.
of course they end up bowlegged drunk.
then they see a tape of it.
quite an eye opener.
one laughed, the rest were horribly ashamed.

Beth.

I think it was set in Liverpool?
Not sure though.
Old 01-23-2011, 06:14 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I read once that a lot of the advertising was aimed at underage drinkers...plus a huge amount is grossly misogynistic as well...so glad I am not watching the football game tonight
Old 01-23-2011, 06:35 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I've been saying for the past little while that the best "sales people" (unpaid of course) the Alcohol Industry has is the immense peer pressure regular people do for it.

I equate alcohol drinking today to what smoking was 30-40 years ago where doctors used to smoke in their offices. I believe in 30-40 years somehow, some way the world will wake up and start to look down on alcohol the way it now does upon smoking.

And the alcohol industry will be relegated to China and/or Russia (like smoking), with all due respect.

The problem is, the only advocacy group seemingly around is MADD - but they have a focus on drinking and driving. The other groups are Religious based - again, won't promote to the main population. For dome reason we still get stupid reports claiming FRANCE is healthy because the general populace drinks 1 glass of wine a day. BS I tell you, BS!! Those "reports" are simply misinformation for people to think they should in fact drink 1 glass - of course, nobody ever does or at least 30% of the population "can't" according to your stats.

I am absolutely flabbergasted and appalled at the amount of TV ads catering to alcohol... Nevertheless, it will not end until the Scientific Medical society gets to the bottom of this.
Old 01-23-2011, 06:42 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Well, prohibition didn't do so well when we tried it.

Frankly (and it's an unpopular position in my line of work) I think the drug laws only feed the crime rate.

It would be nice if drinking were as socially disapproved as smoking is, though.
Old 01-23-2011, 06:47 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Is that statistic based on data collected before or after I quit drinking?
Old 01-23-2011, 06:49 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

It would be nice if drinking were as socially disapproved as smoking is, though.
Well, in my little corner of the world (my apartment I call it), it is quite a faux pas to smoke or drink.
I have been sober for a long time and I just quit smoking in September.
So, if you light up or try to bring alcohol into my house, you will get the great snub.
"You will not bring those noxious substances in here, thank you very much!"
LOL

Beth
Old 01-23-2011, 07:05 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Heh,

OK, I'll save the visit for after I've quit smoking. I'm thinking about tackling that once December (and retirement) comes.

I haven't hit bottom with the cigs just yet.

I'm totally proud of YOU, though!
Old 01-23-2011, 07:37 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LexieCat View Post
Well, prohibition didn't do so well when we tried it.

Frankly (and it's an unpopular position in my line of work) I think the drug laws only feed the crime rate.

That is exactly my point -- like smoking, it is not illegal but it is frowned upon by society.

Certainly the govt can't ban drinking, because it just feeds the underground world - but in contrast, I feel they should tax the hell out of it, like they do cigarettes.

I'm not sure about the US, but in Canada smokes are about $10/pack now - and more in Europe.

Imagine if that "Coors Light" was $10.00/can or that bottle of wine was $41/bottle, and this from the store not the restaurant. Then truly people could barely get hooked ever. It would become a special occasion, and most IMO would drink in moderation. Let's not forget that most people are not hooked from the first drop they taste unlike Heroin.

It is from years of escalating abuse where people become addicted (well the majority), there is always a smaller group who would be addicted no matter what.
Old 01-23-2011, 07:40 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Originally Posted by JoeCree View Post
That is exactly my point -- like smoking, it is not illegal but it is frowned upon by society.

Certainly the govt can't ban drinking, because it just feeds the underground world - but in contrast, I feel they should tax the hell out of it, like they do cigarettes.

I'm not sure about the US, but in Canada smokes are about $10/pack now - and more in Europe.

Imagine if that "Coors Light" was $10.00/can or that bottle of wine was $41/bottle, and this from the store not the restaurant. Then truly people could barely get hooked ever. It would become a special occasion, and most IMO would drink in moderation. Let's not forget that most people are not hooked from the first drop they taste unlike Heroin.

It is from years of escalating abuse where people become addicted (well the majority), there is always a smaller group who would be addicted no matter what.
Ah, OK, sorry I misunderstood. The additional money the taxes would bring in could be used for addiction research and treatment. Yes, there would always be folks who will become addicted, but social disapproval and increased taxes would be good policy, IMO.