What are some ways or things you do to take care of YOU?

Old 01-18-2011, 05:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What are some ways or things you do to take care of YOU?

This is so sad, but after 2+ years of focusing mostly on somebody else, I am really looking for ways/suggestions to, as they say "Take care of ME". What are some of the things you do to relax, enjoy YOUR life and truely give yourself the time and attention YOU deserve?
Old 01-18-2011, 05:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
tam

exercise, run, eat healthy, take hot baths at night, go to the beach in the summer, take drives and listen to music, watch movies, play computer games and come to the forum
I would have to say running and exercising has really helped my mind the most.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Like tam, a lot of taking better care of myself includes eating right and exercising. It made a HUGE difference in my sense of well being & that's where I started. Then, doing things I like to do (girl-friend time, reading, Alanon, or "me" time) helped me mentally.

But it was more than just the stuff I did; it was making the change from me being last on my list to me being first on my list. At first it felt selfish - making ME, lil ol' unimportant ME, my first priority instead of others needs coming first - but now, I don't see it as selfish. I am finding that I'm a better mother, wife, daughter, friend, employee if I'm a happier, more content person to begin with.

So, if I'm tired, I won't say "Sure, I'll make your lunch for you....". I'll say "I'm really tired and need to rest....but there's turkey in the fridge." I guess it boils down to not doing for others what what they can do for themselves, choosing to do things that help me feel healthier, and making sure that I'm treating myself and others with respect.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Today I bought myself some nice perfume.

More money then I should spend but why not?

It felt good.
Old 01-18-2011, 08:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I imagine 3 main "pillars" holding up my health:

physical, mental and spiritual

I try to find ways to nurture each of these each day. For the physical, I try to walk once a day (even if just for 30 minutes). For the mental, I will take a bath or have a nice warm cup of tea and curl up on the couch. For spiritual, I meditate every night before bed.

Small things. I think for me, the message is to put yourself first (before your addict), to keep your life moving along.

(hugs)
Old 01-19-2011, 04:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

well, i guess this isn't helathy, but i like nachos, or chips and salsa while watching a movie.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I took up hobby photography. It helped me to stop isolating and took me to nature. It was something I could do alone or with a friend or a group and it made me get outdoors. I started with an inexpensive little camera and read a little about light and getting good shots.

Then I picked "themes". One day I went out to "shoot" lighthouses along the coast. Another day I chose ruins, and another I chose wildlife.

The quiet and nature brought me great peace. Today I take my camera everywhere.

Reading, meetings, music all helped me heal.

Maybe make a list of things you love to do....then do them.

Hugs
Old 01-19-2011, 05:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
the illogical vulcan

I've delved back into all my hobbies like a madman and I've fixed all the little things around the house that my wife has been bugging me to do for years. At least she's happy.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:59 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by damiank View Post
well, i guess this isn't helathy, but i like nachos, or chips and salsa while watching a movie.

(sneaks off to get some nachos)
Old 01-19-2011, 08:03 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Working out, setting goals, SHOPPING for the wardrobe that was so sorely neglected during all of this. Facials, massages. I have an appointment tomorrow for a body wrap. I've never had one of those before. Supposed to be a 'detoxing wrap' and also suppose to remove inches! We'll see.

Getting my house in order. Spending quality time with my kids. Updating my wardrobe and working out are the biggest things so far.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:32 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I avoid the news. I disengage with negative people. To pamper myself like the others I exercise and meditate. I try to be a quiet around others and listen more. I always would be the talker now in my sobriety I listen and learn more this way. I have actually always been a GOOd listner, but I am practing slience in the new year and find it brings more peace and balance to my very active mind. Another good way to take of yourself is turning the phone off about 2 hours before bedtime. It helps me to wind down without hearing others rattle stuff in my ear and then I won't take it to bed with me.
Talk therapy is number 1 in my book as well.
AND don't forget coming on this site. For me it is the support I receive.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:40 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I spend QUALITY time with my family and friends. I have learned to treat myself with ease and patience instead of expecting myself to know it all and have all the right answers.

I enjoy treating myself to retail therapy!!! LOL and when that is not financially freezable I enjoy long walks, getting books at the library, completing small projects around my home and yard and learning new ways to approach life for myself.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:51 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Alot of you guys meditate. I've never done that. Any good books/websites/tips to learn how to do this?
Old 01-19-2011, 09:35 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
tam

I was thinking the same thing callie! instead of working out I want to try relaxation/meditation too, think it would be helpful for us..does anyone recommend any cd's?
Old 01-19-2011, 12:08 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

I do a lot of the things mention above - but also especially during that first year or so of moving out - readjusting my life to NOT being married to active alcoholism/addiction any more - I did lots of silly things. . .
such as. . .
writing down to buy cigarettes then marking it off with a smiley face (those would have been for my ex & he never had a job to pay for them)

not using a napkin when I ate (I used a dish towel - my ex screamed at everyone that they had to have a napkin everytime they put a piece of food in their mouth)

rearranged the furniture the way I liked it
Put up PINK curtains in my bedroom
Put up Recovery signs all over my house
Took a few extra mins when getting dress to put on my makeup and jewelry - to help ME feel better about ME!!

PINK HUGS to all!
Old 01-19-2011, 01:36 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Great question! Great answers! Here's what I've been doing to take care of me. Going to the gym, reading, reconnecting with friends, meetings, new undergarments.
Old 01-19-2011, 03:28 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tam View Post
I was thinking the same thing callie! instead of working out I want to try relaxation/meditation too, think it would be helpful for us..does anyone recommend any cd's?
Vangelis, 1492 soundtrack has been absolutely amazing for me in terms of medication. I'll PM you with some info.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:22 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Yoga twice a week, meditation whenever I can catch a few minutes, music that soothes and feeds my soul, exercise, video games, a good movie, cuddling with my greyhounds, sitting in the hottub, pedicure, hot shower, a good book, Naranon, SR.

Now how on earth did I have time to do that when I was so wrapped up in everything and everybody else?

gentle hugs
Old 01-19-2011, 07:34 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Oops, I meant to say meditation (not MEDICATION). Man, is that Freudian or what?
Old 01-19-2011, 08:57 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Audio books

Hello,
I hope I am posting in the right place. For meditation: Creative Visualization by ****** Gawain is really great. I have her book, and now I listen to her reading the audiobook on my I pod. if you have an ipod, there is a large variety of other programs to buy too, but if you don't, her book is very good. Listening with headphones has been very rewarding and relaxing to me, as it goes right in my ears. I look at the I store online and choose from other narrated self help books that interest me as well. Lots of great guided meditations on there, as well as nature sounds to soothe......or if you don't have an I pod, I am sure Amazon would let you buy and download or order CD's. But if you can manage the i pod audio books, you won't be sorry. It took me a little coaching from a teen to master, but now I am hooked......be sure to preview before purchase to make certain you enjoy the voice of the narrator who is not always the author.