Notices

Someone please save me from myself

Old 01-18-2011, 01:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Someone please save me from myself

I have been through this too many times. I have been to meetings. I have quit so many times before. I stop for awhile, but I still come back to this darkness. I am so tired of this. I don't know what to do. I want a new life, but I just don't know how to live. Here I am, once again, alone and into something I don't want. How do I go on from here? I just don't see a life beyond this one that I hate. I try, but I keep failing. How do I save myself from myself?
Old 01-18-2011, 02:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
31/10/10

Hi DocJ -
it's that first drink that puts us back into this dark hole. Do you have a Bigbook? There's some stuff on that first drink in the chapter "more about alcoholism".

I can only recommend going back to AA, talking to someone with good and strong sobriety after the meeting and recomitting yourself. You can quit, but have difficulties to stay quit - that's where the program will come in if you work it.

Being here and going to AA is your potential/future you saying: Doc - this is the path you need to go. You're being guided by your better self already.

vee
Old 01-18-2011, 02:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

never give up that hope doc!
Old 01-18-2011, 02:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi DocJ,

You're in the right place!
I understand what you're going through. Some people have fallen many, many times before getting just a couple of weeks without drinking.
Remember that sobriety isn't a race or a game, and think of your falls as one step closer to getting up. If you gotten up before, you can do it again and obviously you have or you wouldn't have joined SR.

Remember H.A.L.T. (Hungry - Angry - Lonely - Tired) and pay attention to these as these are recipes for a relapse. Call someone from the meetings asap if you feel the urge to drink, or if you just need to talk.
If that doesn't work, call the next person in the list.
SR is a great place to 'make those calls' by posting here too.
I hope that helps!
Old 01-18-2011, 02:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

at least you're here asking for help which is a great start. I'm having a hard time getting my daughter even to the point where she'll seek recovery. she's also sick of the way the day turns out after drinking, but then does it again!
Old 01-18-2011, 02:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Doc as off the wall as my suggestion will seem I want you to think about it for a sec. Maybe what you need to change isn't the drinking. Maybe the drinking is a symptom of something bigger. If the place, environment, people, around you have created a space where you keep being drawn back to the drink, maybe you need to totally rebuild your life from scratch. If you changed cities, housing, job and friends wouldn't that help change you too? Maybe a move to a different part of the country would do you good. Think about what triggers you to drink and then start thinking how you can cross those triggers off your list. What was that quote about doing the same the over again and expecting different results being nuts? For me, making a change in my life has never been something done in half measures. This doesn't work for everyone, but if you are desperate and have the ability to make some big changes without screwing your life up, maybe you can make your life much better. Just remember that your friends here in SR are rooting for you.
Old 01-18-2011, 03:03 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi DocJ

I've met met anyone who was hopeless, not if they really wanted to change their life

Stopping drinking has to be the first step - if you've been drinking for a while it's a good idea to see a Dr.

From there, for me it's a question of adding things, trying things, doing things until you find something that clicks to help you stay sober and in recovery.

Joining this community really helped me focus. You'll get a lot of support and advice here too.

Good to have you with us
D
Old 01-18-2011, 03:17 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kilt View Post
Doc as off the wall as my suggestion will seem I want you to think about it for a sec. Maybe what you need to change isn't the drinking. Maybe the drinking is a symptom of something bigger. If the place, environment, people, around you have created a space where you keep being drawn back to the drink, maybe you need to totally rebuild your life from scratch. If you changed cities, housing, job and friends wouldn't that help change you too? Maybe a move to a different part of the country would do you good. Think about what triggers you to drink and then start thinking how you can cross those triggers off your list. What was that quote about doing the same the over again and expecting different results being nuts? For me, making a change in my life has never been something done in half measures. This doesn't work for everyone, but if you are desperate and have the ability to make some big changes without screwing your life up, maybe you can make your life much better. Just remember that your friends here in SR are rooting for you.
I agree!!!

When I was in rehab, the number one biggest fear everyone had was "what will I do when I get back home?"...

This is where we started to talk about our triggers and stressors, to know who/what they are and how to set boundaries. I'm still learning. It's not easy, but it's wonderful once you see the success of it actually taking place and working.
Old 01-18-2011, 04:26 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I kept trying and failing for nearly two years before I was finally sick of it so much that I could stay sober. SR has been a tremendous help to me in staying sober. I hope we can help you as much.
Old 01-18-2011, 04:48 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
A work in progress

You've "been to meetings" but have you ever tried actually working the Steps? With a sponsor?

AA recovery is not transmitted by osmosis. Going to meetings alone isn't the AA program.

You might try that one--it has worked for many people when nothing else did.
Old 01-18-2011, 04:51 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

AA recovery is not transmitted by osmosis. .
:rotfxko:rotfxko
Old 01-18-2011, 05:01 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I am too new and just 2 days sober hence can not really say anything with authority. But I can share my exprience. After drinking for 7 years everyday, I realized the time was up. First I read many books on the Physilogical aspects of alcoholism and got convinced mysel that if your body is well nourished ,the urge for alocohole will be less. I also learned that alcohole depletes every important vitamins, minerals, amino acids and vital brain chemical while giving a false high and good feeling.

So the 1st detp was to prepare my body .

I started on a very good vitamins/Minerals/Amino Acids pogramme with compelete vegeteran diet with lots of fruits, since last one month. Then I did not quit abruptly. I gave myself manageble goals like not touching whisky and have wine only. Then, start drinking wine only at late night just before dinner. Then, just one glass of wine with dinner and finally stopped since last 2 days. I think as I prepared my body for one month and kept it nourished the withdrwal symptoms were manageble.

It worked for me till now only just for 2 days and I am not sure whether it will work for you or anyone. I may relapse but can just share this so that you can give a try... All the best.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:38 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm right there with you

When I sit down and think about it, I've been trying to stop drinking for 10+ years.... I've sat in front of this computer, shaking my head, begging for help, disgusted with my inability to not stop drinking. I lost my job yesterday, and still I want to have 'just a few' drinks to take the edge off. Crazy enough for you? I agree with others when they say to never quit trying to get better. Please email or message me.... sounds like we can talk on the same level. Take care.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:57 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Ozone Ranger

Originally Posted by DocJ View Post
I have been through this too many times. I have been to meetings. I have quit so many times before. I stop for awhile, but I still come back to this darkness. I am so tired of this. I don't know what to do. I want a new life, but I just don't know how to live. Here I am, once again, alone and into something I don't want. How do I go on from here? I just don't see a life beyond this one that I hate. I try, but I keep failing. How do I save myself from myself?
Not knowing what to do, is not a big issue. Willing to do, is. As in "willingness to try".

Allow me to suggest Alcoholics Anonymous. Along with some tried and true tools, there is a wealth of face to face, shoulder to shoulder support. A way out, a new plan, a chance to regroup, rebuild and rejoin life.

Is it ideal? No. Neither are the prospects and tasks that lie ahead of anyone going through any type of rehabilitation. We can choose to lie there in a pile of our own excrement, or get up and apply ourselves to the methods available to us. Later, when we can walk, we can choose our own path. You have a nasty case of alcoholism. Sorry about your luck. We all must play the hand we are dealt. You have what you have. Whining won't change it. Playing the hand out will. Play it smart. This is not a test. this is the real deal. Wake up and take action.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:06 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome...

When I started my AA Steps....I felt a shift
from often shakey sobriety into solid recovery....

Of course..AA is not the only way to win over alcohol.
Please keep posting ...we are here to support you.

All my best
Old 01-18-2011, 07:09 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

There is always hope, and there is lots of support here at SR.

And, I think it's important to remember that stopping drinking is just the beginning. Then the work of dealing with the underlying issues begins.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:14 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Trudging that road.

Im sorry this may sound harsh but you said "I don't know what to do?" Well if you have been to meetings before you heard over and over what to do, the problem is you haven't done it. The reason I know this is because I was you for 15 + years in and out of the AA rooms. You are doing something already, you put the plug in the jug, and you are reaching out for help. Now try and do that for today, say thanks tonight before bed, and start all over tomorrow, before you know it the days will rack up. Keep the Faith
Old 01-18-2011, 08:25 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Doc I'm right there with you. I wish I had the answers for both of us. One thing I do know is I have gotten a lot of encouragement and support here, and one thing that stuck with me (and gives me some small hope) that I've heard here is no matter how much you fail, if you keep on trying, eventually you will be able to get sober and stay sober. Even if it takes a long time to get there.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:34 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Doc]:
The key word in your message seems to be the word "alone". You need not be alone. For one thing, you have us on this website. And also you can find a friend who is also in recovery. It need not be in AA if that makes you feel uncomfortable. It could be in some other recovery group. Anyway I am sure that there are lots of alcoholics out there who are trying for recovery and who would like to be your friend. So why not try reaching out a bit. You can do this. It helps though to try to do it with others. Good luck.

W.