Notices

new member to sobriety....

Old 01-17-2011, 10:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

new member to sobriety....

As a new "member" to SR, and new to "sobriety" as well, I would like to introduce myself... I am happy to have found this website as a source of additional support as I seek out a life without alcohol.

I tried to quit drinking a year ago and was unsuccessfull as I didnt embrace the support that is out there and available. Drinking had become a way of life since a nasty divorce 5 years ago and I'm trying to recapture my life before I throw it all away as I've come close to doing MANY times.
Through numerous DUI's and countless other troubles in my life that I'm finally realizing can be attributed to continued over-use and abuse of alcohol. I am ready to put those troubles behind me! I have known that my "drinking lifestlye" was spiraling out of control and for the longest time, I wasnt sure I cared as it felt that I had "blown" this chance at life. But now I am trying to convince myself that life doesnt have to be "over" at 53...and through AA and websites of support like this one, I am working to regain my footing in life and trying to find more productive ways to spend my time.

Though I've only been sober for 26 days, embracing the support thats out there has been extremely helpful for me...I still have some "anxieties" as my daily schedule has become so drastically different with out alcohol, but knowing that "getting through TODAY" without a drink will lead to much better tomorrows...and to a happier, more productive life in general.
I look forward to sharing my success's with the rest of you....
Old 01-17-2011, 10:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! The wise, caring folks here are cornerstones of my plan—hope you get as much out of this site as me!
Old 01-17-2011, 10:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome!!!
Old 01-17-2011, 10:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Congrats on 26 days dmm! Good luck on your journey.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Thanks for joining our recovery community
Welcome....
Old 01-17-2011, 11:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey dmm, we have a lot in common. I was facing a 3rd DUII a few years ago while feeling utterly depressed and nostalgic each day. I came into AA then, I was 21 at the time. Everything changed rapidly, full 180 degrees and life was totally wonderful again at 1 year sober. I thought maybe I wasn't really an alcoholic, and started drinking again. For the last 4 years I have been trying to get sober again. I'm 25 now, and I have 51 days today. You said that you are going to AA... I think that's great. My sobriety today feels much more stable because I am finally practicing Step 3 each day. A God of my understanding is helping me do this, because clearly, I cannot do it alone. I hope you are ready to fully accept the disease for what it is and that you keep coming back!!!!!

Today is a gift! :day6
Old 01-17-2011, 11:07 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congratulations, sounds like you have a plan. Good luck, stay positive.
Old 01-17-2011, 01:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

DMM, Like you, I'm 53 and struggling to quit alcohol. I often slog through waves of feeling useless, hopeless, and like I've blown my only chances. I get scared & nervous when I think of all the years I've wasted. So, here we are! Ready to work. 26 days is fantastic! Good for you.
Old 01-17-2011, 01:34 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Not 'only' about it, dmm55123 - 26 days is great
I really believe we haven't blown around chances so long as we're still breathing

Welcome to SR
D