Notices

I'm not taking my own advice

Old 01-06-2011, 01:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm not taking my own advice

I've got the New Year's Blues... or do I? I suggested to someone they should volunteer or just spend time when they are out helping others or talking to people.
I'm feeling down. I'm ambivalent about the fact that the shelter I work at is temporarily closed. I went out today for the first time in two days and all I could think about was getting my tasks done as fast as possible so I could get back home. I don't think I smiled at anyone. I was ashamed I hadn't showered. I can't believe I just admitted that.
Work is very slow due to the weather but I could be in the shop doing more than I am.
So is this temporary? I feel like I'm living in artificial light, literally. It has been so gray and I have the heavy drapes pulled to keep the cold out, thank goodness I haven't gone flourescent.
My therapist,addiction counselor was finding new employment before Christmas so I'm awfulizing that I won't be able to find her and risk getting someone who doesn't understand that my depression doesn't just go away with valium.
So I just had to write this down to admit to myself that I think the depression is creeping back in.
SH
Old 01-06-2011, 01:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Look Ma,No booze!

This time of year is always a struggle for me,I'm an outdoors in the sunshine kinda guy and though I've lived in Upstate NY for almost my entire life I still can't get used to the shorter days.
It's been especially rough this year as I have been sick for most of the late fall up till now(yep,battling bronchitis now) and the economy forcing work to cut hours(but I still have a job) it's hard to stay positive.
Only thing I can say is to try and stay busy,stand in the sunshine if possible (always makes me feel better)Get out and around other people as we all know turning inwards is never a good thing when your bummed.
Old 01-06-2011, 01:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I don't think you are alone, stanleyhouse. There has been a real down vibe in the blogs and throughout the posts. I don't think its unusual for there to be a little post-holiday letdown. Hope that this is what it is for you and not the onset of depression.

Sending sunny thoughts out to you...
Old 01-06-2011, 02:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yeah, I'm with you, stanleyhouse - don't know why but the last two weeks have been rough. My life is fine but I'm just having trouble moving, concentrating, enjoying things, etc. Very strange, unlike any period I've experienced in sobriety.

I'm just taking it day-by-day and making small improvements, getting out and doing things, faking it till I make it sort of deal. It's getting better, slowly. I spend a lot of time here too - less isolating the better.
Old 01-06-2011, 02:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Stanley. Sorry you are going though a tough time. I do know that drinking will not make anything better. We have good days and bad days, you never really know until the day comes. However, I can honestly say that I do not have good days after I drink. Hungover, tired, anxious, scared, ashamed, lazy, etc... Nobody said being sober was easy, but it's sure easier than drinking IMO... I know I can "romanticize" booze, but at the end of the night it ends with me going to bed drunk and waking up feeling like crap. Plus, non of the problems you mentioned will go away even after you drink.

Hang in there. A guy I know in AA always says "If you are having a bad day, go to bed earlier"... Simple but true. Best of luck!!!
Old 01-06-2011, 03:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi SH!

Sorry you are feeling blue...did you ever ask your counselor about SAD? Its pretty simple to treat and women are more sensitive to it then men.

Happy thoughts ...LaFemme
Old 01-06-2011, 03:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The darkness and cold of the winter will end with the sunshine and warmth of a beautiful summer. And you will be free to go anywhere, day or night without the ball and chain reeling you back in.

Allow the yuckiest months to pass by while you repair yourself. The most beautiful months will be yours to enjoy to the maximum as a sober person with endless possibilities.

Keep it up.
Old 01-06-2011, 03:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone
I showered and I put on my dress up house clothes. I'll check on SAD. RW the good thing sobriety is being able to recognize depression. I think depression is just as cunning and baffling as alcoholism. It starts in the brain, effects your body and the medical profession cannot come to an agreement on how to treat it. No, at 15 mo my sobriety is strong because I know if I pick up the bottle I am dead and I am not depressed enough to commit suicide.
SH
Old 01-06-2011, 03:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Cnn had a piece on. SAD the other day...I started a thread on here with the link but I can't link it from my phone....sorry

And yes depression is a scary b*$tard....lucky me he hasn't been lurking around me for 6 months...plus I take vitamin D for. SAD
Old 01-06-2011, 04:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Stanley, I have to watch out for depression creeping back in, and it surely does from time to time.

Like you, I need to take action whenever I sense the depression, and that's not easy to do. But, I HAVE to do it. Make sure you're eating well, I find B vitamin helps, make yourself get outside to do some errands or something, find a good book to read, and hang out here. We do understand.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:32 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Eating protein and life.

SH,

I had a terrible bout of it the other day and I believe it was me that you suggested volunteering to.

I really don't know what to say other than we are here for you if you need us. I just needed an ear at the time really, so I'm letting you know that you can have not one but two of my ears right now (I'm having a blowout sale on ears so it's buy one get one free...no refunds. )
Old 01-06-2011, 04:38 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

SH,

You have also given me great advice in the last few days. You are cherished here...take care of yourself.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:43 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

There does seem to be some post holiday blues around SH. Be good to yourself

D
Old 01-06-2011, 07:34 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hey SH - you're not the only one! I've had my own version of the blues lately called "the nervous blues..." I'm trying to get back into my painting after a long Christmas break and it's not "clicking" - Since it's my income (and my income has me terribly anxious these days), it's hard to cope.

We're doing the right thing though..... talking about it, asking for help, hanging out with others who understand....

I know it will pass - it always has in the past. And I also know I'd be having the same struggles plus a whole lot more if I gave into that temporary relief. And then, what do I do the next day when I'm still feeling bad? So.... there's just no way to get through it without going through it.

Think positive, practice gratitude for what IS good in your life, and keep the faith. We'll be in the sunshine soon!:ghug3
Old 01-06-2011, 07:49 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hey SH...I've lived in Wisconsin all my life so I get where you are coming at about the winter blues. They are horrible.

I take Vitamin D during the winter months to help with the blues. Also, if it's been really horribly gloomy out I will go to a tanning bed for about 5-8 min just to get that extra sunlight (although I only use this in rare cases but it does seem to help some).

Also, just sitting by a sunny window can help a lot during the winter.
Old 01-08-2011, 03:51 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hey guys
I'm feeling a little better today. I made myself get up early and I did not take a nap but I am going to hit the sack soon. I had some things I had to do, like troubleshoot the tv, pay bills and go to Home Depot, but now I'm exhausted. So I was productive but still at a loss for enthusiasm or energy.
SH
Old 01-08-2011, 04:17 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

way to go SH, keeping busy helps me too
Old 01-08-2011, 04:30 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I'm glad you had a better day today Stanleyhouse! I hope tomorrow is even better!