Notices

Does the sponsor needs to be in AA?

Old 01-04-2011, 03:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Does the sponsor needs to be in AA?

Does the sponsor needs to be in AA? I ask because I heard that sponsors call out of the blue about if one has been drinking. I know they have the same experience but would like to know if I can get one that does not but I can call for advice when it come to urges. When through AA meetings and really feel more conformable talking about my problems on this forum then in person.
Old 01-04-2011, 03:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Yes.

How can one help you get through the steps if they've never had the experience?

Be willing.
Old 01-04-2011, 03:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sobriety takes a road that is different for everyone.
Choose one who feels right for you.

A mentor outside of AA can be just as helpful, but someone in AA has been where you have, and will have more understanding about drinking related problems like you pointed out.
In time you may find someone in AA that you would want to be your sponsor, and become more comfortable in talking face to face.

Small steps at a time, right?
Old 01-04-2011, 03:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I honestly don't know. I have never gave it a thought until now, but I have never heard of anyone having a sponsor outside of AA/NA. As Kjell said, how would these people be experienced with the steps.

I have heard people having sponsors and doing the steps online, via e-mail, and over the phone. Perhaps, it works for some. I have also heard of people taking their 5th step to a priest, instead of their sponsor.

I have received plenty of help from non-alcoholics (help comes in many different ways), but I never heard of one taking someone through the steps.
Old 01-04-2011, 03:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
One moment at a time.

If you want to work the program and find a solution through the program than you are going to need to find a sponsor that is active in AA and that has found a solution themselves. Someone who knows how to work the steps and someone who will go over the Big Book with you.

This is just a suggestion, and I am only speaking through my own experience and struggle with the bottle. But for myself, if I had a sponsor who didn't work the program and I only talked to every once in a while, and never met with them to do book study and step study... Than I would not be sober today... I may be sitting here on this website sharing things, but the words I type would be inappropriate, completely mispelled (even worse than they already are) and I would probably be contemplating suicide....

Thats just me though.
Old 01-04-2011, 03:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sponsoring is a fundamental component of the 12 step programme so I don't know why anyone would look outside of AA for one ACT10Npack.

I'm not in AA but from my reading of AA literature and my time here I think a good sponsor will, and should, probably challenge you a little - it seems a little bit more involved to me than someone you ring to simply get you out of trouble.

D
Old 01-04-2011, 03:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

My Sponsor guided me through the steps, is someone I can do a sanity check with on things I am thinking of doing and has become a friend over the years.

he never tells me what to do or not do, just simply shares his experience with me and of course we have walked the same path so he always gives me great examples. He is also a very spiritual man even though he is an aethist and I was and am attracted to him by the example of living clean/sober that he is.

No way could I do this with someone outside of the program.

My sponsor is not my therapist, my vent bag or the person who decideds if I should have a cup of tea now or indeed a drug. He is someone who's recovery and life I admire.