Notices

Rode out a craving

Old 01-02-2011, 07:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Rode out a craving

I would just like to share that I rode/surfed out a craving to drink tonight. I used some wisdom that I've received here - that the craving is just a thought. It is just that, and I recognized it as such. (took a while though!)

Liquor stores are closed now. Such a relief. However I should have posted here when I got the craving. It was intense. I tried to walk thru the pain, regret, guilt, embarrassment of my last drunk (and the thousands before it). Replay the tape. It was tough trying to recognize the thought....as just a thought.

I'll wake up tomorrow thanking myself that I didn't give into that craving. It was more than a craving (I crave potato chips, triscuits, savory snacks but this is not it) it's a more intense craving.

I drank some "Tension Tamer" tea, and slightly exceded my calorie alotment, but PHEW, didn't drink.

Feel like I'm white-knuckling it, tonight anyways.
Old 01-02-2011, 07:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Good for you! SR can teach you many, many things to help sobriety. I do agree with you....next time come here and read or talk about it. It helps!

I wouldn't worry about your calorie allotment right now. Staying sober is far more important....get a handle on that, first....just my opinion, though.

Welcome to SR!
Old 01-02-2011, 07:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks. Weird that I had no problem drinking N/A for the new years get together, but my defenses were up that night.

My defenses were down today. Today I was home all day, doing chores, doing things that are not chores, and I thought, FREE PASS. But I know that I need to make being home alone without drinking a new habit. So far, so good.

They say if nothing changes, then nothing changes. I'm hopefully establishing a new habit.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

So glad you rode it out, giving in always made me feel like crap. Aaahhh...Tension Tamer! Nice tea :0) Another good one is Celestial Seasons Sleepytime Extra. It has Valerian root, which has natural calming properties (non-addictive). Keep up the good work, you aren't doing this alone
Old 01-02-2011, 08:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Good for you sunny! If you stick with it each of these days not drinking will add up.

Do you have a support system other than SR? If not consider getting one. you don't want to be "white knuckling" it for long.

You're doin great though.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yeah, the couple of times I've posted here (I am mainly a huge reader), I've been asked what my recovery plan is. It is SMART. It jives with how I think.

I was in AA for a while, last meeting I went to was about 5 years ago. I was one of those relapsers. At the time, I was on meds. Ugh.....another story for another day. I'm geting ready for bed so I don't want to get myself all worked up! :/

Happy new year, good night and thanks for the replies SR rocks.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Been awhile since I really thought seriously of picking up again. But I do remember what seemed to work.

I took a suggestion of 'thinking it through'.

I asked myself, 'did I REALLY think I could do it again and nothing BAD would follow again as had been in the past?'

When I realized I would only be fooling myself, and I would only be making things worse for a very short period of temp relief, I was able to get by.

That's why I explain to some I work with who are new, I can understand their reluctance to want to call someone they feel is gonna try to talk them out of doing something they feel they have already decided to do. It would make no sense to call someone in that case.

What I tell them is, I ain't gonna try to talk them outta anything. What I can do is be willing to listen to them talk about it BEFORE they pick up, and buy themself a little time to think it through first at least.

There's always gonna be occasional times one will think
'about' drinking or drugging, but deciding to do it, is another story. And the disease is gonna sit patiently and wait and try to convince some that's okay to do it.

Don't fall for the lie!!!
Old 01-02-2011, 08:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Good going sunnyside2010

I know that urges and cravings can be compelling and uncomfortable. But I also know that I do not have to act on them. As difficult as urges can be, I do recognize that ultimately I can choose to focus my attention on a recovery instead.
Old 01-02-2011, 09:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Good job sunnyside. Just remember that YOU don't want the drink, it's the addicted monster in us that wants it's medicine. That monster is not concered with you, your family, your job, your kids if you have them, your friends, or your overall mental health. It's like a little kid wanting what it wants and wants it now. Just starve that little ******* to death! For me, the more booze I give it the bigger and harder to defeat he gets.... This may sound crazy, but IMO it's true. Good job on getting past the craving you should be very proud!!!!
Old 01-02-2011, 09:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Most excellent. You overcame your cravings and even reflected on it with some positive self constructive criticism.

I find that surrendering to the fact that I am an alcoholic and that first drink will eventually lead me to a very dark, disgusted, and unhealthy place helps during those times of weakness.

For me, surrendering is a process, not an event. It takes vigilance, honesty, practice, and respectiveness.

Anyways, heck of a job! You did wonderful.