Notices

S.r helped me today

Old 01-02-2011, 08:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

S.r helped me today

I WAS TRYING TO RATIONALIZE TO JUST GO BUY ONE BOTTLE OF WINE. NOONE WOULD KNOW, HUBBY IS AWAY ON A TRIP. BUT.... I THOUGHT WELL LETS GET ON S.R AND SEE IF I FEEL LIKE IT AFTER I READ SOME. ISAID TO MYSELF 'PLEASE LET ME CLICK ON THE RIGHT THREAD RIGHT NOW" WELL I DID AND SOMEONE ELSE WAS THINKING THE SAME THING...SLIPPING...I READ AND READ AND NOW I AM GOING TO GO WORKOUT TAN AND RUN SOME ERRANDS ...SHOPPING!!! NO WINE FOR ME TODAY!!!!! I HAVEN'T CRAVED IT BUT TODAY IT POPPED INTO MY HEAD. THANK TO YOU ALL HERE THAT DUMB IDEA IS GONE. THANK YOU
Old 01-02-2011, 09:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

(((Bochuck))) - great!! Back in my early days of recovery, I was still lurking on SR, but I'd read and read. After about 6 months, I finally signed in and it's the best decision I ever made.

It does really help to read of others going through similar situations, yet choosing recovery.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 01-02-2011, 10:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Ahhh Gold. You struck gold!

When you think of it (alcohol), and think of getting it, but don't feel any sort of urge, I think you've struck gold.

Consider the possibility that you're experiencing a 'memory' of an old habit you removed from your life and 'calling it' an urge/craving instead. Truth is, it's just a memory of the past, no different from a childhood memory.

Now you can look at it as something you can easily deal with and tolerate going forward. We have memories all the time of good things and bad things. Even the good things can't cause or force our physical bodies to HAVE TO do anything. They just place a few pictures in our minds for a few seconds, that if we pay little attention to, which almost immediately, especially if we were about to do something like look for the car keys, open the freezer to remove an item for dinner, or answer an incoming phone call. Poof, they're gone.

Memories are okay. Only we can act on a memory and lie to ourselves into giving it some significance that 'forced us' to do something. But it's all a lie. They can't cause us to do anything.

We just them live their short insignificant lives as a thought, without judging them or reacting to them and they fade away and in the end, we're still sober doing what we were before they came along. Our decisions to quit isn't at all threatened by the fact that we remember things from our past.

Sounds like you're doing Awesome.
Old 01-02-2011, 10:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Glad you came here Bo and worked through it. It is amazing when someone shares on here because maybe just maybe 1 other person can be helped through it. This is one of the main reasons I find SR so valuable.
Old 01-02-2011, 10:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

Great job aborting that craving, bochuck! It's always a great idea to check in here, or call someone, or really do anything other than have that drink.

SR has helped me as well. Not only does it help to read other's posts, but it also is a way for me to hold myself accountable. I can't be on here trying to help others deal with their alcohol problems if I'm drinking, can I? And I also don't want to let down or disappoint (I know that's not the right way to think about it, but that's me) all the great people here who have spent time and energy out of their lives to help me. I'd feel like I was disrespecting them somehow.

Good on you for not drinking, and thanks for being here!
Old 01-02-2011, 02:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

SR snapped me out of my insanity many times too - congrats Bochuck

D
Old 01-02-2011, 02:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Reading here really helps me too - I remember some days early on when I spent hours here to get through an urge and feel centered again. I look forward to my daily time here - it's friends helping friends, and we all need that kind of support. Way to go!
Old 01-02-2011, 02:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Sounds like you had a thought to drink, but took the action to change the thought before it could progress into obsession. Good work!