Notices

Withdrawal symptoms at 2 weeks ?

Old 12-28-2010, 02:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Withdrawal symptoms at 2 weeks ?

Hi folks, delighted to say made the 2 weeks, a milestone in my book.

Couple of questions.
Whilst I know it is different for everyone looking for other people’s experiences.
Yesterday day 13 was really bad and not sure why.

As the day progressed so did the shakes & anxiety. The frustration brought on a really horrible mood swing, could barely hold anything without dropping it and brain fog was the worst I’d experienced to date.
I ‘think’ the shakes were as bad if not worse than the first 3-4 days.

Luckily had some valium so took a small dose twice, once late morning and once early evening. It did not seem to help but at least things never got any worse.

Wont say I was tempted to drink or craving it, but was perfectly aware that the knowing a drink would stop what felt like a living hell was tempting me.
Was determined to make the 2 weeks regardless so that helped get me through what seemed an abnormally long & trying day.

So would like to hear of your experiences about this time in quitting, and any guesses as to why all of a sudden this started just when things felt like they were getting so much easier.
(not seeking medical advice just peoples own experiences)

Feel on top of the world this morning (at least by comparison to yesterday) although don’t think it would have been possible to have woken with a drier mouth. No way I can be dehydrated with the amount of liquids being consumed every day so wondering about that too.

If anyone can shed any light on this would be glad to hear it.
Old 12-28-2010, 04:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hm. It seems a while ago, but I remember that it got worse before it got better.
The anxiety, brain fog and moodiness is still there (although much lesser) for me at 4 or so months.

I remember being very tired and vague at 2 weeks.
Old 12-28-2010, 05:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Dismember

The psychological parts of withdrawal can outlast the physical parts by a long while. I found my anxiety came and went even for months after I quit. It wasn't everyday, but I had far more panic attacks then I did now.

The shakes... could be anxiety, could be withdrawal, could be something else. Deep concerns should be addressed to your doctor. Could be the/too much Valium, who knows?
Old 12-28-2010, 07:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Orkney, pcik up a copy of Under the Influence, by James Milam. What you are experiencing is post acute withdrawal - known as PAW (or PAWS p.a.w. syndrome). Very common in early sobriety, it lessens over time but can last as long as 18 months. There are excerpts from the book elsewhere in SR, I will try to find and post. I recommend picking up a copy of the book, it was really helpful for me in early sobriety to understand that I wasn't going crazy and what exactly was going on in my brain & body.

Hang in there - it does get better. MUCH better.

Edd
Old 12-28-2010, 07:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

All: can't seem to search SR to find the link to excerpts from Under the Influence. Does anyone know where that was posted?
Old 12-28-2010, 10:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone,
Edd thing you have found the problem !
Found a very informative article here
3 w's tlctx.com/ar_pages/paw_part1.htm and it seems to describe what is happening perfectly.
(sorry cannot post direct link as not been registered here for more than 7 days)

Just have to rough it out until docs are open after the holidays and should begin on to one councelling next week as well - very useful to know this info at this time
Old 12-28-2010, 01:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

the excerpts are here
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...influence.html

D
Old 12-28-2010, 08:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Well done.....

Please use extreme caucion when taking any meds.
It's really easy to get addicted to benzos.
Old 12-29-2010, 02:06 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thankyou Carol,
yes fully aware of the danger of benzos.
Only reason i have some is declined the normal treatment - well here in UK anyway. At home detoxing the normal is a month course of delining dosage of Librium. But it seems to have no effect on me.
The diazepam/valli is just a last ditch fall back if things get unbearable.

Fortunately the bad day improved so yesterday was quite steady. Feeling much better this morning.

Very intersting indeed reading abot the PAWS, going to hunt down a copy of under the influence today. It really helps to understand what is happening to the body & brain, makes it a whole lot less scary when the reasons are known.
The facts regarding nutrition were also fascinating.

The one remaining thing to find out it why this dry mouth thing - whilst it's not unbearable it seems as dry as the sahahra all the time, particularly in the mornings. 100% sure not dehydrated, would just be happier knowing why it's happening if that makes sense.

Day 15 and completely optomistic
Old 12-30-2010, 04:27 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congrats on your two week sobriety! I'm only at three days, yesterday was pretty tuff on me, but today seems better.

As for the dry mouth, did you have alot of sodium? I googled Valium and one of the websites said that dry mouth was a rare (but possible side effect) of Valium.
Old 12-30-2010, 02:04 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Orkney,
Some prescribed mild anti-depressant sleep aids used during detox have a drying out effect.
SH