Notices

help for day four

Old 12-21-2010, 04:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

help for day four

The longer running races have a water and aid station between miles three and four. That's where I found myself in Disney at the 07 race.

So many people were lined up at that first water station, I decided to skip it. I just ran by. I hoped for a open table past mile 6.

But the day grew hot as the race wore on. Unexpected heat in January, even for Florida.

I wished I stopped. I should have stopped. Now sweating profusely, I could not replenish myself, no matter how I tried, no matter how much water I drank. It was too late. I was behind the curve. Dehydration set in.

Eventually my legs cramped. I could not move them. They were stiff as trees. My chest pounded. My heart struggled to pump thick blood. I was exhausted and hurting. I hurt bad, real bad.

The moral is to accept help when its offered. We don't always know what comes next.

Today I stop here for water. That's refreshing. Thanks all.

See you tomorrow at mile 5.
Old 12-21-2010, 04:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You are doing great..it really gets better as time goes by..I am at the end of the race waiting for you to cross the finish line!! GO CLOSET DRINKER!!!
Old 12-21-2010, 04:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm worried about the christmas holiday, but right now, Its one mile, er day, at a time.
Old 12-21-2010, 04:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You weren't thirsty enough, or at least you didn't think you were, between miles 3 and 4...

Jeez, if only...
Old 12-21-2010, 04:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I try to think of the holiday as just another couple of days. I have made it thru the last 2 holidays that way. Like any other day. I take the HOLI out of it..instead of holiday, It becomes day.
Old 12-21-2010, 05:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Read it again, that first aid station was for preparedness. Kinda doves in with yesterdays post about over confidence.

Yeah, I'm feeling abit worried. But tomorrow is another day and today is in the bag.
Old 12-21-2010, 05:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Whatever, sorry I missed your point... Keep posting, you can do this. Find a way to get outside yourself. Spend some time with family... maybe take a drive to look at the lights, go to midnight mass... attend vespers... volunteer somewhere.

You are doin' fine.
Old 12-21-2010, 06:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Closetdrinker, what I get from your post, is that it's really important to listen to yourself and to pay attention to your inner voice. As long as we are listening to ourselves, we will know when we're thirsty and it's time to drink water.

I think that planning ahead can help you to get through the holidays.
Old 12-21-2010, 07:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

wow, thats deep.