Notices

Rewarded in different ways...

Old 11-30-2010, 07:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Rewarded in different ways...

Sobriety and recovery is a totally different way of life to when I used to live my former life. Not just in terms of the actual chemicals but my way of thinking, attitude and expectations of life, social events and living. The rewarding feelings in recovery are very different to what I used to consider rewarding feelings. The good feelings that I love now are much longer lasting and come from working my recovery and seeing first-hand the positive results. I also find the beauty of it is that I seem to get moments of clarity as time goes by and I work through life and see things so much clearer. Many would refer to these as spiritual experinces I'm sure and I could I guess if I wished to. It's a great feeling of peace of mind and feeling that I'm on the right path and things will be OK. I guess it's like the peace and love that I used to think I was seeking out on my drink and drug binges.

A big thing for me is being able to enjoy things without yearning to increase the good feelings. That is something which I treasure so much as I could never view anything really as not being potentially much better if I could use drink and drugs to enhance the experience.

I am grateful for my experiences that I had, both good and bad, as they've enabled me to be where I'm at now. I'm grateful most of the time and I always have gratitude for my alcoholism. For me personally then if I lost gratitude for my alcoholism then I would just get resentful and feel in some way like my alcoholism is a burden, but far from it as without my alcoholism I wouldn't be here now and walking the path that I'm on.

Grateful to be sober and moving forwards 'one day at a time'.

peace and Love
Old 11-30-2010, 08:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
din
~ still a believer ~

For me personally then if I lost gratitude for my alcoholism then I would just get resentful and feel in some way like my alcoholism is a burden, but far from it as without my alcoholism I wouldn't be here now and walking the path that I'm on.

I have only recently arrived at the point of gratitude for the disease
................and no, I wouldn't have ended up here (where I currently am in life spiritually or physically) having not come to the terms of my life which "IS" I am an alcoholic, and that "IS" my reality.

And I hold no shame in that fact today