Notices

Smart

Old 11-24-2010, 07:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smart

Does anyone use SMART as part of their program of recovery...i don't know much about it but it would be cool to hear how it works and any successes...

They seem very open minded, i got this from their website:

"SMART vs. 12-Step Programs

At SMART we believe that each individual finds his own path to recovery. For some participants, that may include 12-step programs, like Alcoholics Anonymous (AA) or Narcotics Anonymous (NA). While the SMART approach differs from AA and NA, it does not exclude them. Some SMART participants choose to attend AA or NA meetings when they cannot attend a SMART meeting. Some find that what they hear at AA or NA meetings helps them on their path to permanent recovery."

Quote from http://www.smartrecovery.org/intro/index.htm
Old 11-24-2010, 07:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I don't, but I'm sure there are some folks on here to do or have.......
Old 11-24-2010, 07:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JackNWA View Post
I don't, but I'm sure there are some folks on here to do or have.......
Ive been on SR a while and im not sure there are unless they are tucked away in secular, hence the thread!

Hope so though...not much heard about SMART...looks like it could be useful!
Old 11-24-2010, 07:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I was made aware of SMART by a thread on sr somewhere. I ordered their handbook last week, unfortunately it hasn't arrived. The do have three power point presentations that are view only. So far I really like what i am seeing.

Thanks for starting this thread yeahgr. I'm excited to see where it leads.
Carlos
Old 11-24-2010, 10:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Re-Member

I am AA but I read some of their stuff online and there is never a conflict for me with AA as with both I take what I can use and leave the rest. Try this link.
SMART RecoveryŽ - Tool Chest and Homework

I read everything I can that is free. Never know what nuggets you can find that complement your recovery program.
Old 11-24-2010, 10:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yeah i was looking online...a lot of it is CBT based which is good stuff...i have a CBT counselor that i talk to a few times a month...really does compliment the AA work...i know SMART is mentioned a lot by people on SR, e.g. why not try AA or SMART? Would be useful finding out what it is before recommending it in whatever capacity...hoping someone comes along who got sober using it in some way to tell us more:-)
Old 11-24-2010, 11:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Heathen

I could totally be wrong but doesn't Zencat use some SMART stuff in his recovery (Zen.. speak up ! lol).

You might also find a few other SMART folks in the secular connections section.
Old 11-24-2010, 04:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

SMART grew out from REBT which is something along the lines of CBT except SMART focuses on addiction. So with SMART there are some tools (skills) to practice that help one live a life free from addiction.

The below quote sums it up rather well for what psychological therapies like SMART do for me.
"That people had better accept life with its hassles and difficulties not always in accordance with their wants, while trying to change what they can change and live as elegantly as possible with what they can not change." -Wiki/REBT
I like CBT and similar therapies because it seems to parallel effortlessly with my Buddhist like beliefs. Where if I was the cause of my problems, I can also be the cure of my problems. The cure so to speak is learning a practice, and this can include help from others, to live a life without causing or experiencing suffering. Along with having a harmoniously peaceful existence. At least that's the direction of the path I'm on...progress not perfection