Notices

Tramadol (please Help)

Old 11-18-2010, 01:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Tramadol (please Help)

Ive been on tramadol for 5yrs. I am in bad need of ideas on what to do and how to get off of it. I get really depressed... like I wanna die and scream and cry all day and then at night I cant sleep, my body throbs and my skin crawls and all i dream of when i do pass out for 5 sec. is pills. I have tried 100 times to stop taking them but I have 5 kids and no fam. to help me. I just found out today that this !DRUG! also has anti depressants in it which i think my be my big prob. I was a vic. of abuse as a child and also as an adult and have gone thru depression my whole life. Any way I just need info,help,ideas, anything because i cant... CANT... CANT do this anymore. Please anything helps. Is there an anti-depressant I should take for help or some other way..oh and Ive tried doing the step down thing and all it did was make me sick for longer and made me once again feel like I had failed.
Old 11-18-2010, 01:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Sorry you are feeling so bad. We cannot give medical advice or recommend medication. The very best thing to do would be to consult with your doctor and be honest about everything. Professional medical care is what you need now.
Old 11-18-2010, 02:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

I agree with Suki--consulting a medical professional would be the first step. Then once any potential harms are out of the way--as in possible withdrawal associated symptoms etc that may be serious (which a DR can help you with)--then afterward maybe seeking support through a program like NA would be helpful.
Old 11-18-2010, 02:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Need,

As the others have said, it's against our rules to give medical advice here.
It wouldn't be in your best interests anyway.

Professional help is always the best option. Pls do see your Dr.

D
Old 11-18-2010, 02:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

would it shock you to know i have talked to 2 dr.s and they dont know much about this drug where i live. And I dont have the money to go see any GOOD drs. Im really at a loss here.
Old 11-18-2010, 03:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry to hear that Need.

I'm not an American, so I don't know the dynamics of the situation over there, but I do know I've had to try several times to find a good Dr in my country for my various health issues. Maybe you may have to go farther afield?

Maybe a hotline would help too - they may be able to give you some advice.

The National Drug and Alcohol Treatment Referral Routing Service available at 1-800-662-HELP. This service can provide you with information about treatment programs in your local community and allow you to speak with someone about alcohol problems

Hopeline-dot-com has free 1-800 line that will connect any caller in the US who needs help to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. The number is:

1- 800-784-2433
As a last resort, there are also a number of 'ask a dr' medical boards online. They're no substitute for face to face support - but they may be able to point you in the direction of help.

D
Old 11-18-2010, 07:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Can I ask how much tramadol you are taking?
Tramadol concerns me in that it is not a controlled substance and has the reputation for being a safer, less addictive alternative to other painkillers like Vicodin or Oxycontin. However, it is a synthetic opiate and has an SNRI component and many people have found themselves dependent on it. Tramadol can also lower a person's seizure threshold.
Is your family aware of your addiction?
Old 11-19-2010, 02:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

If you want a Narcotics anonymous meeting schedule we can certainly make sure you know how to get one.

I informed my general practioner, my dentist and all other medical professionals I came into contact with about my addiction and recovery.

Something doesn't seem quite right if a doctor is prescribing you tramadol....yet doesn't know much about it.....I hope it's not the same doctor!

I got professional help and Im so glad I did! They steered me towards Narcotics Anonymous and I'm forever grateful. I have worked the 12 steps with a sponsor and have been clean for almost 5 years now.

Getting detoxed is your first step. Help is available. Can't afford a doctor?....how can you afford NOT to?

Peace,
Missy