Notices

Lovely aroma (pot) driving me nucking futs!

Old 11-17-2010, 06:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
2nd chance at a 1st cl*** life

Lovely aroma (pot) driving me nucking futs!

I work construction and I'm currently working a job up in the city (San Francisco). Work is fine, its not stressing me out or anything but one of the neighboring houses must have some wicked plants growing or something because I can smell a lovely skunk aroma. I don't smoke or drink anymore but the smell has been making me think about lighting up again. I'm pretty secure about not wanting to, but from the smell you can tell that this person really knows what they're doing. If it was just your regular weed I wouldn't care but this stuff smells super. I've been doing my best to try and just drown it out, but sometimes the smell is stronger than it is at other times. I called up one of my buddies and when I get home we're gonna hit up a meeting.
Old 11-19-2010, 09:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Evolving Addict

A meeting is never a bad idea. Share about it.

Being a former pothead, I must say, nowadays the smell of weed isn't pleasant. I can't stand the smell of alcohol either. LOL! Have you considered working at a different location (if possible)?
Old 11-19-2010, 10:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I can't stand the smell of booze either, makes me sick to my stomach. As far as the other smell even though I don't smoke anymore I still like the smell. I know this sounds weird but I even like the smell of skunk (the animal) when its not to strong.
Old 11-19-2010, 10:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Forgot to mention. I'm actually almost done with that particular job, I have to go back on Monday and put another layer of mud on the drywall to bring it ti a level 5 finish. On Wednesday it should be dry and ready for texture. Unfortunately I don't have the luxury to drive the job as jobs are few and sometimes far between out here in California.
Old 11-20-2010, 09:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Evolving Addict

I'm actually almost done with that particular job,....
Well...good! IMO, as people in recovery, we are going to be exposed to all sorts of situations that will remind us of our using days. Thankfully these times aren't always constant. I think the blessing is that we no longer have to react negatively when we're confronted...we don't have to use...no matter what! I used to share that the REAL trigger lies between my ears. It isn't what I smell, see or hear....it's what I do with the thoughts that arise.
Old 11-20-2010, 11:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

A couple of years ago, I caught one of my boys with some pot. I confiscated it, of course, and disposed of it, but before I did, and without an examined motive, I stuck my nose in this little glass jar he had it in and inhaled deeply. I could tell by the smell that it was potent.

It wasn't until later that I realized the sleeping tiger was tossing and turning. I told someone about it--like you're doing now--and said a prayer of gratitude that I was given a lesson in complacency. I can get so comfortable doing what I do--in this case, being a parent, doing what I think I should be doing as a parent, including verifying the contents of that jar--that I don't always stop and ask myself questions. Did I need that deep whiff to confirm my suspicions? And am I on dangerous ground if I do stick my nose in that jar? This may not relate directly to what you've been through (you've said you can't be choosy about what jobs you take), but indirectly, in what you (what we all) are aware of, or should strive to be aware of. I can't stand the smell of booze, don't really do well to be around intoxicated or stoned or tweaked people, and though I didn't think of the lovely perfume of the pot, something somewhere in the recesses of my mind remembered something about it. Once I uncovered what that was (great pot=great high), I was able to do what I needed to do to remain sane: pray, talk to someone, remind myself of my own powerlessness.

Thank you for sharing, and thanks for letting me share!

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 11-22-2010, 10:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

For the longest time, for the first about 18 months into my cleantime, I experienced mad cravings every time I ran across my drug of choice (opiates). Now it is absolutely just scary. I shudder when I see it. It changed for me, I think just from praying and having some time away from it. Also, more time goes by and you end up having more to lose! The obsession to use really did lift eventually. Not quickly, for me, as it does for some, but it did go away. I consider it a miracle, because I never thought it would go away. I'm not saying I never think of using anymore. Sometimes, especially at night when I'm alone, I do get an urge. But now I have many options to get myself through that urge. Meetings, calling someone, talking to someone in my house, pick up a project and work on it, walk the dog. I developed contingency plans a long time ago for when strong urges hit, and they still work today.
Old 11-26-2010, 03:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
REZ

Gmoney is right. The biggest trigger is between my ears. The smell of pot is tempting for me too, and I try to avoid being near it, even after having been clean for quite a few years. If my mind is not in the right place, however, almost anything can trigger using desires/thoughts. I must remember not to think about good things but remember the bad things, which were many, or I wouldn't have stopped using. My mind has a built in forgetter, as the say. I forget that I was using all day, every day. That all my time and money went to drugs, that I hurt myself and others, that my life was going to pot--literally!