Notices

Gotta quit

Old 11-16-2010, 04:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Gotta quit

Hi everyone! I came across these forums two days ago when I decided I needed to make a change. It's been good to read of others experiences.

A little about me:
Up until 5 years ago, I rarely drank. I was however, a habitual pot smoker and occasional user of other chemicals. Finishing grad school and the ensuing job hunt led me to quit using so that I could pass drug tests. I filled the gap with drinking almost immediately. I've been fairly controlled with my drinking over the years. I rarely drank during the day. My drinking time was at 8:00 sharp, at which point I would drink till going to bed. Every night I would have anywhere from 6 to 15 units of gin or whiskey. This has gone on for 4-5 years.

I am tired of being perpetually hung over at work. I'm ashamed and tired of what I've put my daughter through over the last few years. I know that I need to quit now before I get in too deep.

I quit for 10 days in the summer of 2009. The withdrawals were not too bad. The main thing I experienced was flu like symptoms on the 3rd day which kept me in bed most of the day.

Well, now I've stopped again. Today is day 3 without. So far, things have gone fairly well. In fact, yesterday at work I felt energized after not drinking the night before. I got a little foggy and tense in the evening, and am feeling the same this morning. I'm anxious to get over the next few days, especially after reading some of the withdrawal experiences some of you have posted.

Anyway, I just wanted to introduce myself and publicly acknowledge my need to leave alcohol behind.

phytoman
Old 11-16-2010, 04:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome phytoman. This is a great place to come for support of like minded people. Keep posting!
Old 11-16-2010, 04:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family! Glad you've decided to give up drinking. I believe your life will improve a lot when you're sober. Mine sure has!

Old 11-16-2010, 05:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome Phytoman

Great job on your first couple days.
Old 11-16-2010, 05:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome and good luck! Keep us updated with your progress!
Old 11-16-2010, 06:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Phytoman,

I'm glad you decided to stop drinking.

You'll find lots of support here, so keep reading and posting.
Old 11-16-2010, 06:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
31/10/10

Welcome Phytoman - lovely post.
I am going through similar mild symptoms: foggy mind - clear mind - happy - sad - feeling fluey - waking up a lot during the night (my body seems to need to learn that sleep and passing out are similar but not the same)...

I quit smoking pot about 9 years ago and that's when I started drinking...

Vee
Old 11-16-2010, 12:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I used alcohol to "get to sleep" at night...not good, I realized all along that's why I was doing it....self-medicating, for sure.

Welcome to S.R.

Kelly
Old 11-16-2010, 01:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome!!
Old 11-16-2010, 02:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome aboard and just think, the good news is that all those withdrawel symptoms will go away before you know it!! And Least is right - your life will improve by not drinking.
Old 11-16-2010, 02:44 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome phytoman!

My detox experience has been a little worse than yours. I'm almost done with day 4, and I've had everything from sweats to jitters- nightmares to nausea.

I'm feeling slightly better today, and actually able to think (although, I'm still a bit disconnected).

I'm happy for you, that you've chosen a path to sobriety. Check in often. There are many gracious people here willing to listen and help you when we can.
Old 11-16-2010, 05:47 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi phytoman

Detox comes in many shapes and sizes, so try not to worry too much.

Just remember that you should always call for medical assistance if you feel badly or are worried about anything - or you just want to put your mind at rest

It helped me immeasurably in the early days to stay connected here too
Welcome to SR.

D
Old 11-16-2010, 05:55 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome phytoman!
Old 11-16-2010, 06:40 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks for the welcome everybody!

I am now going through my 3rd night without drinking. I've got some brain fog going on, and I have been having some motor tics, but nothing too serious. I am confident that I can get through the next few days. I still have concerns that I can make the change long-term. I need to figure out some strategies....
Old 11-16-2010, 06:53 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Glad you're here, phytoman, and congrats on your decision to stop drinking. It's a little scary at first, but those mornings without a hangover kept me going (and posting/reading everyday on this forum). Lots of people use AA meetings, books on alcoholism, or other programs, as well as inpatient or outpatient treatment. So there are many options.

Hope to see you around - we're all in this thing together!
Old 11-16-2010, 07:07 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome. Are you following a specific program like AA?
Old 11-16-2010, 07:23 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Welcome phytoman.
Congrats on the 3 days! Detox as we all know is the worst part.

For me dealing without drinking "long term" isn't quite accurate. In my mind, I have closed the door on that other life with alcohol. Permanently, with the help of my family and friends here and in the offline world. Permanently is good! Alcohol abue? Been there, seen it, done it, got the T-shirt and the chips . . . time to move on, with a smile on my face and a light heart.
Old 11-17-2010, 04:56 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Ughh... It's the beginning of day 4 and I woke up feeling hung over!
Old 11-17-2010, 07:27 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Yeah - it's not fun in the early stages waking up that way. That fogginess will pass before you know it. You stated earlier before about having confidence. I keyed in on that because it's a good tool for you in recovery. You need plenty of tools in your toolbox my friend. I'm glad you are on day #4 and I promise the weirdness will move along. Hang in there - I'm thankful for your post today. Keep coming back here as much as you need to.
Old 11-17-2010, 07:40 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Welcome!