Notices

Questions about NA

Old 11-12-2010, 12:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
2nd chance at a 1st cl*** life

Questions about NA

Ok, so I've been in recovery since Jan. 2 of this year. I've been doing regular AA meetings as I am an alkie as well as an addict. I've got a sponsor and am working the steps. I just went to my first NA meeting tonight because even though I no longer crave the alcohol I still find myself craving weed every once in a while, more so lately. So my question is, since I've already started into recovery and am already working the steps of AA, should I work the steps of NA separately? Or should i just incorporate it into my AA steps? I feel that hearing the stories and such in AA helped me get over the cravings so that's kind of why I started attending NA. Anyone got any advice? Thanks in advance.
Old 11-12-2010, 12:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Evolving Addict

Hi John,

IMO, the basic principles of the 12 Steps are the same no matter which fellowship you are a member of. Each 12 Step fellowship adapts the steps to their needs or singleness of purpose. AA focuses on abstinence from alcohol and the disease or alcoholism and NA focuses on abstinence from all drugs and addiction as the disease. My personal experience has been that, when I use any drug, I always go back to my DOC..so with that said, I'd suggest that you 1st consult your sponsor as to how to proceed and 2nd to realize that cravings only have as much power as you give them.

G
Old 11-12-2010, 07:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Both are spiritual programs. Recovery is an inside job. I went to a variety of 12 step meetings crossing over a total of 3 different fellowships at the onset of my recovery. I did that at the suggestion of my IOP counselor. My counselor said "go to meetings until you want to...then do what you want" Said go to as many meetings as possible until you find a place where you feel most comfortable sharing. Then focus on the suggestions being given from other members. I also learned to focus on one program's step work with a sponsor from the same fellowship, yet still be able to attend another fellowships meetings to suppliment my need for many meetings early on.

I learned for myself it worked best for me to get a sponsor from the same fellowship I chose to work steps in. Not once in the several years I have been involved have I ever heard anyone recommend working steps in two different programs at the same time or to mix them.

I chose NA. I respect AA.

I agree with Gmoney in talking with your sponsor about it.

Peace,
Missy