Notices

My First "Day 9"

Old 11-08-2010, 08:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My First "Day 9"

Greetings all!

I just joined this site tonight, so first I'd like to introduce myself.

I'm a 25 year old man (eh - boy? boyish man?) and realized a while back that alcohol was having a severe negative effect on my life. Since I was 17 I have drank heavily every weekend. For the last two years or so I have drank heavily or semi-heavily probably six nights a week on average (my definition of heavily is an 18 pack; semi-heavily is between 8 and 12).

I don't know why I started this. Boredom. Loneliness. Maybe I just started in college cause it was thing to do and got progressively more addicted. I don't really know. I do know that my job, health, social life, love life, and wallet have suffered because of it.

So - it is time to move on.

This is my first (and by God my only) attempt to officially quit drinking. There have been a couple other periods of sobriety (maybe two months max), but that wasn't a conscious decision.

My last drink was on 10/30/10. Since then I have been exercising, reading, and trying to find new hobbies (I seriously don't know what I will do with all this time).

I think I joined this site to solidify my decision. In a week I won't be able to tell myself "eh you haven't had a drink in a few weeks - that was good, but it's okay now". I will read this post and remind myself that this decision is real.

I welcome and appreciate any support or advice, and I wish the very best to everyone here.

Sincerely,

J.S.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi JS aNd welcome! Sr is a great help in getting and staying sober. Congrats on. 9 days!
Old 11-08-2010, 08:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome JS - you're making a really good, positive decision to take your life back. Congrats on 9 days!

It took a while for me to figure out what to do with myself, too. I thought I wouldn't be able to do some of the things I used to do while drinking. After a good while, though, I discovered that most of those things I enjoyed even more in sobriety. It's new territory, so give it time.

I don't know at what point I became an alcoholic drinker either. Looking back, though, I could see the steady progression. It's so much better to get off the elevator before it goes allllllllll the way down, ya know?
Old 11-08-2010, 08:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome JS. I'm almost 46 years old and I wish I had done what you're doing now when I was your age. Don't spend the next 20 years drinking like I did.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the encouragement. I am already so glad that I found SR. I think it's helpful to know that there are so many others that struggle with alcohol. Reading the success stories here is giving me hope.

J.S.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Re-Member

10 days already!

Read some of the other posts here and you'll see that there are more than a few your age and younger here making it happen one day at a time. I couldn't stop drinking when I was your age because I didn't really start drinking steady until I was in my mid to late 30's. Before that a six pack lasted so long in my fridge that it was in more danger of passing its drink by expiration date than actually being drunk. Funny how I went from what some people call "normal" as in I rarely even drank two at a a party, and looked in pity at the ones who couldn't stop. I'll be here making it one day at a time along with all the rest. Keep posting and reading.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome JS
Joining SR made the difference for me - hope we can for you too

D
Old 11-09-2010, 04:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family!! I'm glad you found us! I've gotten huge help from my friends here. They believed in me when I didn't believe in myself and they never quit supporting and encouraging me - what a big help that was/is. I hope we can help you as much as this site has helped me! Glad you've decided to live sober at such a young age. You'll have far fewer regrets when you get older if you live sober now.