son's friend

Old 11-06-2010, 05:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
it is what it is

son's friend

my AS's friend from high school who was his drug buddy for so many years called last night - he has been to rehab and says he is really doing well - so many times i wanted this young man to be out of my son's life so that the enabling that he did would go away but it was an ongoing cycle between the two of them - this young man managed to keep his truck much longer than my son had his own transportation so my son was really never completely without resources to go when he was ready to go - as a matter of fact friend was driving his "get away" truck the night my son was arrested the first time -of course he was not arrested as he was sitting down the road from the scene - i am so glad that friend is doing well - he has asked to come by and see me today and help me with anything i need - i really appreciate this and again i say i am glad he is doing well especially since he gives the credit to God - but the whole thing brings up a lot of feelings for me - some anger and resentment - i guess some jealousy - i just keep remindng myself that my son is safe and sober today and has the opportunity to make some good decisions for himself - my heart is really hurting right now
Old 11-06-2010, 08:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

When another mom's heart hurts, my heart hurts too.

I can understand the mixed emotions you are having. It sounds to me like the young man is trying to make amends to you.

He knows what he's done in the past, and considering how much he was a part of your AS's life while active in addiction, I know from my own experience how difficult that was to make the call.

Hugs from one momma to another.
Old 11-06-2010, 10:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

****{HUGS}}}

There could be positives here, and I'm sure you know that. Like your AS seeing this young man making positive moves to improve his life. But nothing can erase all those ugly feelings that can rise when stuff like this happens. Sometimes we are our own worse enemies with that stuff. Hang in there.
Old 11-06-2010, 03:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
it is what it is

i certainly am glad friend is doing well - there are positives in this - my son knowing his friend is in recovery will be encouraged - i think friend is working his steps and dealing with me will be a part of that - some of the time i feel comforted by the fact that he has contacted me and that he is doing so well - i really do not want to sound like i would want anything any different for him - thanks to each of you for your encouraging words
Old 11-06-2010, 06:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Perhaps.....in some way.....your higher power has put this young man in your path for a reason. Who knows. There are always lessons to be learned and perhaps this is one of them. One day at a time....

gentle hugs
Old 11-06-2010, 06:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I think its pretty cool that this kid called you and is making amends.maybe one day your son will be in the same position.It is hard when others peoples kids find recovery and ours haven't yet, but really gives you hope at the same time. I would give him some jobs and really enjoy it!
Old 11-07-2010, 06:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
it is what it is

just a little follow -up - friend did not show up yesterday as he said he would in our conversation on friday - just hoping that is not indicative of anything - that old "do what you say you are going to do thing" which is a hard one for an addict - not jumping to any conclusions though - i'm assuming his plans just changed - thanks again for all your encouraging words