Notices

I think I get it

Old 11-02-2010, 12:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I think I get it

I was reading the BB and it hit me- I've done everything humanly possible to try and stop/control my drinking.

I've done limiting the amount/time, changing types, changing locations, changing mixers/glasses, putting restrictions on myself (only drinking if "x' happens).

None of this worked. So I have no power, got it.

Then I went to hospitals, DBT, CBT, Talk therapy, Art therapy, Group therapy, medications for anxiety/mood swings/depression, I've even tried to get my husband (the strongest person I know) to get me to quit.

None of this worked either. I drank the same (sometimes worse) after each of these methods. So they have no power either- over alcohol.

So I need to move up the ladder, as it were. There's only one thing that can help me and that's a power greater than man, greater than promises and greater than me- a Higher Power.

I think I get it now.
Old 11-02-2010, 12:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

For me it was surrender....giving up the fight. If I kept doing what I always did I was going to keep doing what I always did. Best wishes to you.
Old 11-02-2010, 05:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

looks like you have!
Old 11-03-2010, 03:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by bballdad View Post
looks like you have!
ditto ..........for the first part of step 1 anyway...

.....then there's: " - that our lives had become unmanageable."

where are ya' with that NewG?
thoughts?
Old 11-03-2010, 05:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

part of my post got chopped off..... grrr

"- that our lives had become unmanageable."

as it that is affected by the first step.....I can't, nor can any team that I'd like to try to put together, properly manage my life.

I know some truly awesome people .....an awesome sponsor, an awesome grand sponsor, multiple ppl in one of my homegroups, a fantastic gal in recovery who works as a therapist, and plenty of ppl outside of the recovery community......and even a lot of the folks 'round here @ SR. These/you folks provide a wonderful support and advice network.....and I'm grateful for all of them/you. And while the God of my understanding often talks to me through those people above........that doesn't mean I don't have to go directly to the source when it comes to life-management.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DayTrader View Post
ditto ..........for the first part of step 1 anyway...

.....then there's: " - that our lives had become unmanageable."

where are ya' with that NewG?
thoughts?
Unmanageable?
I've been there for years! lol When my day consisted of waking up, puking, feeling angry all day at other people, feeling angry at myself, attacking my husband for some 'slight', hiding away in my house, not eating or bathing- yep that's rather unmanageable to me!

I always joked that given two choices- I would always choose the wrong one. Turns out that was true! I'm grateful I'm not in control anymore. I stunk at it!

I always say that I see the world through a paper tube roll. God sees everything. Trusting in my HP to BE an HP and not just lip service or an errand boy- that's the big move for me right now. I think.... hmmm

More will be revealed, eh?