Notices

Constant awareness of sobriety?

Old 10-30-2010, 12:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

Constant awareness of sobriety?

I have only been sober for 2.5 mos. I find that I'm really aware that I'm sober. In a happy way but in a way that's a little distracting. Like last night I was TOT'ing with my kids and more than once I thought how cool it was that I was sober and (more typically) not rushing home to get them to bed so I could drink.

Every morning I think "no hangover!". Every night when I get into bed I'm conscious of the fact that I checked on my kids. Am wearing fresh PJ's. Every social thing I choose to attend after 3pm I'm psyched about it.

So I know this is all good but I'm wondering when it will feel more normal? Or, not normal but less obvious? I don't really know how to explain my question Because none of this feels awkward or anything. I just don't think normal people are acutely aware 10 times a day that they're sober.
Old 10-30-2010, 12:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think about my sobriety a LOT. Nothing wrong with that, it keeps it at the forefront, and it's the most important thing in my life.

I don't think you're abnormal.
Old 10-30-2010, 12:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I hope I feel the way you do when I am at your stage. I would be more worried if I didn't feel like that.
Old 10-30-2010, 12:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I'm two years sober, and I think about my sobriety a lot, too.

Still, I am now to the point where I can get absorbed in an activity and not think about it at all for long stretches of time--at least while I'm occupied.

What can I say--when I drank, all I thought about was the booze. This is a HUGE improvement so far as I'm concerned!

Incidentally--I once lost 60 pounds over the course of a year. I spent a lot of time thinking about how much I loved being thinner, how much I liked shopping for clothes again, how much more fun it was to dress up and put on makeup, even. I'm dieting again, now (having gained 20 pounds post-sobriety), and I feel my spirits lifting again because gaining the weight back was dragging me down.

My point is, there's nothing wrong with revelling in those improvements in our lives. It's a sign that we are doing something we value.
Old 10-30-2010, 12:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am always aware of it because it is a new life which I am enjoying, forgot how it felt for a lot of years. You are not alone in these thoughts, its a massive change and I think it will be on our minds a lot. For me personally I am proud of myself , I feel so different, look different and act different , there is a sparkle back in my eyes instead of the * Glazed * look.

Enjoy it.. you are doing just Fab! xx
Old 10-30-2010, 01:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I find I'm sometimes a bit obsessive about my sobriety. I do think about it a lot, especially coming up on a year! Mostly it's feelings of grattitude and happiness over my better life these days. I too wake up with a prayer of thanks for waking up sober and healthy. I go to bed at night with a prayer of thanks for a happy sober day. I always feel a great relief when driving past the store where I used to get my wine. I get a smile on my face just going past the damn place.

And if it's weird to think about sobriety so much, then I'm weird and I don't care cause I'm happy now.
Old 10-30-2010, 01:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's good that you're feeling positive about your sobriety.
Old 10-30-2010, 02:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

If you stay that way then chances are you won't pick up that first drink. I think the day I stop being aware of my sobriety and having gratitude for it is the day that I might entertain the idea that drinking wouldn't kill me and destroy everything that I have in my life.

Peace
Old 10-30-2010, 02:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SSIL75 View Post
I have only been sober for 2.5 mos. I find that I'm really aware that I'm sober. In a happy way but in a way that's a little distracting. Like last night I was TOT'ing with my kids and more than once I thought how cool it was that I was sober and (more typically) not rushing home to get them to bed so I could drink.

Every morning I think "no hangover!". Every night when I get into bed I'm conscious of the fact that I checked on my kids. Am wearing fresh PJ's. Every social thing I choose to attend after 3pm I'm psyched about it.

So I know this is all good but I'm wondering when it will feel more normal? Or, not normal but less obvious? I don't really know how to explain my question Because none of this feels awkward or anything. I just don't think normal people are acutely aware 10 times a day that they're sober.

I think being aware is a good thing. Try not to read into it too much.
With awareness I feel gratitude......I think normal people take the simple things for granted. We alcoholics/addicts are sometimes just a little more in tune....
do you know what I mean?

2.5 months is awesome
Old 10-30-2010, 08:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
I find I'm sometimes a bit obsessive about my sobriety. I do think about it a lot, especially coming up on a year! Mostly it's feelings of grattitude and happiness over my better life these days. I too wake up with a prayer of thanks for waking up sober and healthy. I go to bed at night with a prayer of thanks for a happy sober day. I always feel a great relief when driving past the store where I used to get my wine. I get a smile on my face just going past the damn place.

And if it's weird to think about sobriety so much, then I'm weird and I don't care cause I'm happy now.
I drive buy one of my old liquor stores 100yds before I get to work every evening, ...and like Least, feel a "great relief"
......not to be blindly dependent and compelled to "sip" (guk, guk, guk) their products anymore.

I feel such a sense of gratitude to be absent daily foggy-headed hangovers; and life's new direction

"today; ....everything is alright "

That storefront always reminds me
Old 10-30-2010, 09:06 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

This is a good thread. Lots of gratitude. I think about my sobriety a lot, too, especially SSIL when I'm with my child, like you said. Now that I'm sober I enjoy my time with him without rushing through stuff so I can get drunk/nurse a hangover.
Old 10-30-2010, 09:46 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SSIL75 View Post
I just don't think normal people are acutely aware 10 times a day that they're sober.
That's because for Normies, sobriety is their normal state of being.

As an addict/alcoholic, our natural state is to be high/drunk.

Every day, we must put forth an effort to stay out of our harmful, natural state.

It's kind of like, if you are from America, you speak English without constant effort.

In people who are just learning the language, they need to put forth effort into everything they say, so that English-only speakers can understand them.
Old 10-30-2010, 10:10 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

that is brilliant, One With Wings!
Old 10-30-2010, 11:29 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Sept 30, 2010

You got a score of responses in just a few hours. Obviously that is an indication that a lot of us spend a lot of time thinking about our individual situations, enough to spend some time on a weekend logged into S~R.
Old 10-31-2010, 01:24 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks for the question SSIL. I was wondering the same thing but wasn't quite sure how to articulate it....you put it perfectly thanks for all the responses!
Old 10-31-2010, 02:21 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Cool

"...I just don't think normal people are acutely aware 10 times a day that they're sober..." ....."

"That's because for Normies, sobriety is their normal state of being.
As an addict/alcoholic, our natural state is to be high/drunk.
Every day, we must put forth an effort to stay out of our harmful, natural state.
It's kind of like, if you are from America, you speak English without constant effort.
In people who are just learning the language, they need to put forth effort into everything they say, so that English-only speakers can understand them."

"...but I'm wondering when it will feel more normal?..."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yes, this is all true. What I've observed, and experienced, is that when something is 'new' it often takes over all of me (my thoughts, actions, words....etc.)

When I was new in recovery, everything was sooooo 'new;' I didn't want it ever to end; every time I openned my eyes I'd see another something 'new' Everything was..............well, life.........with its ups and downs, but I was dealing with it sober.....! Who'd-a-thunkit.....!

When does it feel more normal....? Well, after a time 'sober living' becomes automatic (this is not to say that we've become complacent).....I found myself automatically practicing AA's principles in all my affairs.....

Sooooo, It'll come......in time.....just enjoy what you've got now......for now......

(o:
NoelleR
Old 10-31-2010, 04:32 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

Thanks everyone! I guess I'm normal here
Old 10-31-2010, 04:40 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

SSIL, what a great post and I love everyone's feedback.
Old 10-31-2010, 05:12 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I believe we think about it a lot because we appreciate it. Non-problem drinkers have not been to the dark side of drinking, so being sober is not something they would think about much.

How many people wake up and think, "Wow ! This is so great to have vision and see things with my eyes".

I bet darn near every person who has ever been blind, and recovered their vision, thinks about this a LOT.