Notices

Babysitting with a headache

Old 10-28-2010, 03:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Babysitting with a headache

Since yesterday I've had this migraine type headache.. and I have to babysit this morning. First, had to take hubby to work at 5:45.. now I have to get myself ready and make the bed before the baby gets here at 7. (Otherwise I will not have time to)

I'm not sure what works good; all I have is aleve and ibuprophen. She is a very needy baby (only child right now and lives with grandparents and a mother who spoils her rotten with too much attention) - Don't get me wrong, 11 month olds need attention but she gets it way too much I think. She never lets me have a moment alone, I can't put her down unless she's eating, and she doesn't play independently. I'm so used to my 2 yr old who can go into her room and play with her Barbie laptop (she loves that thing and it teaches her shapes and counting)... I'm digressing.

I need to teach this baby to play with my daughter without ME! So that I can have at least a few minutes to myself today so I don't go insane!!!

I need to calm this headache before she gets here! LOL Ahhh
Old 10-28-2010, 06:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That sounds a little intense. I have 3 kids now ages 7, 9 and 11 so I remember those days well.

My daughter was a needy baby. I don't think it was really a willful thing or that she was spoiled (I personally don't think you can spoil a baby... just give them all the love you can and it will come back to you is my theory!) She needed to be held a LOT and I did that for her. I found the thing that helped me most was an Exersaucer for babies. Do they even have those anymore? I could bring it around the house with me and plop her in it. She would twirl around while I got a few things done. Independent play is a nice thought but I believe unrealistic for the ages of kids you're talking about. A few minutes here and there is about all I got at those ages.

As for the heachache, I think the Ibuprofen sounds good! Whenever I feel a possible migraine coming on I treat it pronto with either Motrin or Tylenol and it seems to help.

I hope you get some relief! How about putting both of them in a double stroller and taking a walk?
Old 10-28-2010, 07:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have a walker with some toys on it so she's in there playing and having a snack right now. My 13 yr old is helping me with her today since they have off of school. I'm so not used to a baby anymore eventhough it's only been a year and half since my daughter was that age.

I do have a double stroller but I have to dry it out.. left it outside last night and it rained. grrr.. My 8yr old son is going to a friend's house today, so that's a little less stressful but still have my 5 yr old and daughter, plus the baby. Thank GOODNESS for older kids! He's only 13 but he's learning responsibility and how to care for the little ones. (My babysitter in training) I might cave in later and let the boys play the wii today.. It's not their game-day til Saturday but.... I need that ibuprophen!
Old 10-28-2010, 07:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I hear ya!!! I have no desire to go back to the baby phase. It's too intense! Every time I see a Mom with a baby and a stroller out and about I say to myself, "Aw... cute baby. Glad it's not mine!" I know that sounds awful, but when you've moved out of a phase of your life it's nice to move on to other things.

So you have a full house and so awesome to have a 13 year old to help out! When the stroller is dry, have him talk the two little ones for a walk to give you a break!! My near 12 year old is a big help to me now. It's nice when all your hard work starts to pay off a bit, isn't it?

Hang in there and hope the ibuprofen helps!
Old 10-28-2010, 07:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks! I have a wagon but I'm afraid the baby will wobble out of it.. she has a huge noggin! LOL Yea, I have 5 kids at home right now! Ugh talk about a full house! They are keeping her entertained for now but she needs to take a nap. Just trying to get through this coconutz day without a drink! And hubby works all day too. Yikes
Old 10-28-2010, 09:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Grateful Member

Hi! I think for the headache you should try Excedrine. It has a little caffeine in it too, which helps with the fogginess a headache can bring. Motrin and aleve are more for muscle aches. Good luck!
Old 10-28-2010, 09:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by julez View Post
Hi! I think for the headache you should try Excedrine. It has a little caffeine in it too, which helps with the fogginess a headache can bring. Motrin and aleve are more for muscle aches. Good luck!
I'm not very good with excedrine.. last time I took that I threw up. I have a very weak stomach I even get sick from taking my vitamin on an empty stomach.
Old 10-28-2010, 10:09 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

try Tylenol xtra strength and a cup of coffee...but take it with food.

(and at least you know with a head-ache and weak tummy, you won't be tempted to drink)....lol

sorry for the head pains, I've suffered with these too and sometimes the only thing that helps me is a dark quiet room to lay down for a few hours.
Old 10-28-2010, 10:21 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Headache+a bunch of kids = bad combo! Hope you feel better and I hope the kiddos are little angels for the day.
Old 10-28-2010, 10:30 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LawMama View Post
Headache+a bunch of kids = bad combo! Hope you feel better and I hope the kiddos are little angels for the day.
I'm trying to steal a minute or two whenever I can.. Right now 4 of them are in the living room probably jumping on the couch, with the baby on the floor. I'm finishing my final cup of coffee right now. I don't even think I ate anything yet today :\ Ugh.