Very Nervous

Old 10-27-2010, 12:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Very Nervous

I am one of those people that change is hard for me but obviously I am going too be going through alot of it.

I have my first face to face meeting tonight at 7:30, I am so nervous I can think of 100 reasons not to go but of course none of them make sense.

I am gonna pull my big girl pants up and go I just do not understand why this seems so overwhelming. Maybe a form of acceptance that there is a problem, I dunno. Just needed to rant thanks,
Old 10-27-2010, 12:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey
It takes a lot of courage to walk through those doors the first time. We've all be "first timers" before and we all know how hard it is. Just think of the room as though it is full of all of your friends here at SR......imagine that we are "them".....because we are. Those rooms are full of "us".

gentle hugs
Old 10-27-2010, 12:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
BBD

Hi Angie, I know exactly how you feel. I was a wreck before my first meeting and so scared of the type of people that would be there. I went, parked in the parking lot and watched people appear. Low and behold~~they looked like me and when I got in the door~~~welcomed me right away. It wasn't easy and I'll tell you I cried most of the meeting but so did a few others. You will find support there and hopefully people give you their numbers before you leave. THEY are there to help. Good luck hon and stay in touch. Let us know how things worked out....XXxxOOOoo Bonnie
Old 10-27-2010, 12:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Crying is actually one of my concerns, I hate that others have a need too but now at least I know some do at meetings thanks BBD
Old 10-27-2010, 01:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
BBD

No worries.....Your new to this, scared and you love someone that has a problem. Hang in there and I bet you end up feeling so much better after the meeting....
Old 10-27-2010, 01:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

angie-
i went back to my meeting last night. there was a woman who was there for the first time. she was very nervous. she said how she didnt want to go, and had allthese reasons not to, but as she felt comfortable she opened up. and i will tell you there was nota dry eye in the place. she said she was glad she did it. everyone is nice and supportive, just like here. maybe it might help if you think of us all being with you, in some ways we will be.
Old 10-27-2010, 04:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Ok, coupla things..first good job on the big girl panties.2nd..you probaly will cry..I sobbed through the entire first meeting..everyone has been there..no biggie to that crowd.3rd...you will most likely an immediate kinship and a feeling of being "amonst your peep".they will get you, understand you, like you never have been before so be open to it..good things coming your way!
Old 10-27-2010, 08:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
BBD

Angie~~just checking back to see how your meeting went. I've been thinkingabout you. Hugs~Bonnie
Old 10-28-2010, 05:04 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

Good Morning Angie,
How was the meeting?
Hope you had a great experience -
our group usually suggest to the newcomer to please give it at least 6 meetings before making up your mind - just to get a feel of the meetings, what happens, different topics, step studies, etc.
hope yours was a good experience!
PINK HUGS to you
Rita
Old 10-28-2010, 06:52 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I was so nervous I had my daughter drive me to the meeting to try and avoid panic attacks. The meeting was at a church and it being a Wednesday night church services were being held as well as al-anon and al-ala-teen.

When we pulled up two ladies were walking and my daughter asked if they knew where the meetings were held and it turned out both the ladies were first timers as well. I asked if they minded me following them and they said of course not. I truly think my HP played a role in that. I would have been glad to have bolted and ran.

We found the room easily enough the meeting I went to was for beginners which is held thirty minutes prior to the regular meeting. Seeing that I was not the only newbie I felt more at peace. I stayed through that meeting and then went to the regular meeting, the two ladies I followed decided to leave.

Everyone was so kind I mostly listened as I was told at SR. I did hear a lot of my situation from others even though it appears most of these people are battling to keep sane with alcoholics, doesn’t seem like that much difference to me.

I do plan on going to at least 6 meetings before I decide and I plan to try different places however this one just seemed like home.

Thanks everyone for your support if not for my SR. family I may have never made this first step.

Hugs,
Old 10-28-2010, 06:58 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yea! Sometimes when we open our hands to receive, they are immediately filled.
Old 10-28-2010, 07:08 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Angie
I'm so glad that you went and felt welcomed. They said "it works if you work it" and it does. I hope that you'll keep going.....the rewards of self discovery and self examination are great.
gentle hugs
Old 10-28-2010, 07:39 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
tam

I am sooooooooo proud of you angie!! I thought of you all night. just told my boss have to check the forum and see if you went , you keep going girl, your doing great!!
heres a laugh, my first meeting I walked into a mens only AA group, it was mobbed, I thought I was going to pass out thinking just men? all these men? I have to be with all these men? a very kind gentlemen approached me, said can I help you? I thought, yes call 911,LOL..he saw my devastation and he guided me into the other building where our meetings are held.
so it goes to show, everyone in these support groups are just kind,caring compassionate and understanding.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:32 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

craziebabie, I'm so proud of you for taking that first GIANT step. Meetings literally saved my life, as I was only a 1/2" away from having a nervous breakdown b/4 I walked into my first meeting. That was approx 11 years ago...........as we end our meetings we say....."it works if you work it"..........so work it...cause you're worth it"

crazybabie....YOU are worth it.

Hugs,
Chris
Old 10-28-2010, 09:50 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
BBD

Angie, Good for you. Glad it worked out well and that your returning. You get smarter and stronger after each meeting you'll attend......Hugs~
Old 10-28-2010, 09:58 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

awesome good news!

(((((((((((Angie))))))))))))))))
Old 10-28-2010, 11:04 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

yippppeeeeee!!
Old 10-28-2010, 11:35 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

fantastic news, it is always so hard to go to your first meeting. at my meetings they always say "keep coming back" and it is so true. al-anon for me is a lifesaver.
Old 10-28-2010, 11:39 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thank, all of you for your support. Having SR to use as well as Ala-non and my therapist is a belssing.