Notices

Big Book Study - Step 5

Old 10-13-2010, 12:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Big Book Study - Step 5

"Having made our personal inventory, what shall we do about it? We have been trying to get a new attitude, a new relationship with our Creator, and to discover the obstacles in our path. We have admitted certain defects; we have ascertained in a rough way what the trouble is; we have put our finger on the weak times in our personal inventory. Now these are about to be cast out. This requires action on our part, which, when completed, will mean that we have admitted to God, to ourselves, and to another human being, the exact nature of our defects. This brings us to the Fifth Step in the program of recovery mentioned in the preceding chapter."

Step Five
“Admitted to God, to ourselves, and to another
human being the exact nature of our
wrongs.”

Please share your ESH on Step 5.

Harry
Old 10-13-2010, 01:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

I think when I wrote my 4th step I did a lot of the "admitting to myself" but there was more self-admitting to do because part of my ego wanted me to believe what I had written really wasn't "me" or that it was the "old" me. Sometimes, I have to "admit to myself" a couple times before it really sinks in.

When I've told my sponsors, I admitted it to another human being. By the time I've gotten clear with myself, I don't usually have too hard a time telling someone else (I know a lot of ppl do....maybe I've just gotten good with practice )

That first part though - admitted to God - that had me stumped. At first I figured since I admitted it to myself.....and God knows what I'm thinking....then I've basically "told" Him too. What I ended up doing, well after I'd moved past #5 was double back to it, get my old inventories out and the most recent one I had done, read through them, re-admitted to myself then said some prayers to God. I now actually "think" in my prayers (for the 5th step) "Hey God....well.....it's me again. Thanks for the insight and the ability to be able to find out all this information. I'm sorry this is the best I was able to do with all the gifts you've given me. I don't understand why this is all I could manage but I want you to know that I now know...and I thank you for making it apparent to me."
Old 10-13-2010, 03:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

I met my sponsor at a coffee shop when I was writing my 4th out.
He looked at my 4th a lot during this time.I figured he had seen it all and it did not bug me to tell him everything.More to come later.......
Old 10-13-2010, 04:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

my sponsor asked me if I had left anything out of my 4th step.I said no.We went over step 5 in the big book
I met him at his house and we prayed.I went over everything on my 4th step,3 notebooks full....hours and hours
when I got done,he asked me if I had left anything out for I was building a arch thru which I would pass a free man.I said no,and I did not leave anything out.
He read some instructions for me from the big book
go home now he said,and sit for one hour < the hour of Grace > and go over what you have done on the first 5 steps,ask your self the questions and thank God for knowing Him better
is my work solid so far?
are the stones properly in place?
have I skimped on the cement put into the foundation?
have I tried to make mortar without sand?

if I can honestly answer yes,then I was to go further to step 6...right away