Notices

What do I need to do?

Old 10-13-2010, 01:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What do I need to do?

Hello, I came to this forum because I don't know what to do. I have been given Hydrocodone by my Docter for recovering from an injury. I have been taking it for about a year. About 60-80 milagrams a day and my injury has recovered and I am terrified to stop.

I have a family, kids, morgage, car notes, and job that all count on me. I'm afraid of withdraws and it stopping me from taking care of my responcibilities. Nobody knows that I have this issue. And I can't bare the thought of them finding out. How do you say to your children. Dad has this problem...

What can I do? Where do I start? How long will the withdraws last? Is there anything I can do to soften their effects? Will I be able to work and support my family through this?

Help please. I'm afraid of disappointing my family as I go through this....

*could a moderator please change the title of this threat to"What do I need to
do"* thanks

Last edited by Dee74; 10-13-2010 at 03:13 AM. Reason: by op request
Old 10-13-2010, 01:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I read my post and I hope that my being embarrassed of my problem doesn't give the impression that I think badly of those with similar issues. I just need to know what I can do? What to expect? And how to deal with this?

I'm sorry if my post offends. It's not my intent. I'm a grown man and I can't believe for the first time... I am scared.

I really need help from someone who has gone through or is going through similar experience...
Old 10-13-2010, 02:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hiya Tigger...I think your post sounds pretty normal I don't know much about your DOC but I know it can get better. Welcome and I'm sure someone will be along shortly with some advice
Old 10-13-2010, 03:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Tigger

Your post was fine

If I was you I think my first port of call would be my doctor - be honest and open with them about the whole situation. They should have some ideas of where you can go from there.

A support group like NA or SMART is another option.

I know you'll also find a lot of support here too. You should also check out our substance abuse forum

Substance Abuse - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

Welcome aboard
D
Old 10-13-2010, 03:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR and you have our support.

You are wise to see this is as a problem and to seek help. Your post was not offensive and no need to be worried....we have been there. I am a firm believer in that removing any harmful substance from our lives is a good thing and it seems you are addressing this before it becomes a long term problem.

My suggestion is to contact your Dr. and discuss this with them. I think that is your best bet and that will help you find the best plan.

All the best.
Old 10-16-2010, 03:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am also new to recovery, and I think the first thing you need to do is remind yourself that you need to do it for your family. Yes, it will be awful but you clearly do not accept the state you are in now.

Also, research recovery options in your area. Groups/therapists/anything that will help. Next take the time to go to these. You may not be able to tell your family and friends about your problem now-but maybe after working on the problem you will get the courage.

Just remember a lot of people go through this and you are not alone.
Old 10-16-2010, 04:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome!

Your post doesn't offend at all. We're all pretty scared when we arrive here.

You really need to talk to the dr who is prescribing the pills and he can give you the advice you need to stop.

I'm glad you are seeking support.
Old 10-16-2010, 05:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome

I'm sorry you are feeling scared, I know what that's like.

Your doctor may suggest slowly weaning you off, or other solutions, but the advice given to see your DR is the route to take.

I hope you feel better soon
Old 10-17-2010, 12:33 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Tigger - glad you're here. You're not alone - a lot of people take medication for legitimate reasons and get addicted to it. I really doubt that a doctor would be surprised or look down on you for it - I know we certainly don't!