Notices

Overconfident

Old 10-12-2010, 04:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Overconfident

As the days have passed I have become less worried that I will drink . It is becoming easier to get through the day . Today at work I convinced myself that it would be great to drink tonight . I really felt in my heart that it was ok and felt happy about it .

At the same time I knew logically it was a craving . I tried to think of the reasons I am quitting and get the mindset of that decision back and I figured out it was my own mind blocking me from remembering the things that made me quit .
I cant believe how powerful and sneaky ones own mind can be to trick itself ! I hope that makes some kind of sense for some .
I kept saying I quit for good reasons but I cant really focus on them at the moment . I just ate dinner and the craving has passed . I got too confident and relaxed in this early stage and almost blew about 3 weeks of sober living .
Old 10-12-2010, 04:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I had to keep my guard up in early sobriety (still do) but it does get better. My cravings are few and far between and it's no big battle to get rid of them. I'm really good at 'talking back' to the addict voice these days...

Do whatever you need to do to work on and strengthen your sobriety. It will get better and you will feel more positive and stronger as you get further into recovery, at least, I have.
Old 10-12-2010, 04:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks least . I agree it takes time to build strength . It is like work building the days of sobriety . I have heard people say "hard work never killed anybody" I grin and know it is true .
Old 10-12-2010, 05:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Good work, lleaves! I cringe sometimes when people come on and say how it's easier than they thought it would be, or that they are going out to a bar but aren't going to drink, etc. If they can do it, great, but I always caution them to guard their sobriety. It isn't hard at all to get complacent or over-confident and find themselves wishing they had just stayed home or gone somewhere else.

Congratulations!
Old 10-12-2010, 05:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Lleaves, I think what's good about that is that you are recognizing how your mind works. It's OK to ponder whether you are being overconfident, but maybe at the same time - looking at it the other way - you can build confidence out of spotting these instances when your mind plays these games. In other words, when people become familiar with things like this, they can see that they know themselves. Sometimes it's possible to turn this around, so that you are not the enemy but the ally, with yourself. I'm not a PhD on Confidence and I wish I were, but I think healthy confidence has to do with being your own ally.
Old 10-12-2010, 05:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I was very cautious in early sobriety. I felt quite vulnerable. And, I still acknowledge the power of addiction. The thing is, this disease is relentless and it can pop up out of nowhere.

I'm glad you're doing well and feeling good!
Old 10-12-2010, 07:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
6/20/08

The point it you didn't cave in! You can learn from this, and become stronger!

So glad you are here and posted this.
Old 10-12-2010, 07:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
SR Fan

I can identify with your thinking. I used to feel that I deserved a drink for surviving the last hangover - how insane! I'm so glad you took the extra time to think it through. That shows real progress! Keep up the good work.....
Old 10-12-2010, 07:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I've found that having a cold drink such as soda, milk, or even SunnyD, helps quiet the whisperings of my mind.
Old 10-12-2010, 07:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Once I stopped drinking,
I had to learn how to
stay stop from drinking.

That's why we learn how
to take one day at a time
or one minute, hour.

Changes from old habits
to new healthier ones.

We also hear how cunning
baffling and powerful
alcohol can be to us.

We drank for all sort of
reasons or occasions,
because it all went hand
and hand with each other.

Remember that while
you are at the beginning
of ur recovery journey
you never have to be
alone. NEVER. Always
have a support system
and a program of recovery
in place as u build a
strong foundation to
live upon day after day.

Happy recovery journey.
Old 10-12-2010, 11:40 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Nice work. I am quite vigilant with my sobriety as I see you are too.

Well done