Notices

Very hard not having family support...

Old 10-10-2010, 09:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Soberliner

Very hard not having family support...

My sister and I have alot of bad history. We still do just not as bad as we had growing up. Shes 2 yrs older than me so we are pretty close yet distant at the same time. She is always right even when she is wrong, its a family trait. We both also have alot of family issues we cant put behind us. I cant never give her any advice. I'm always wrong and she has too much pride to think I know something she dont. Is there anything I can do to find some common ground with her? We are both pretty messed up from all the family drama and how we were raised. I hate seeing her suffer from not dealing with her issues about the family. When we could help each other accept our parents and all that has happened. Its just hard not having any support from family members with recovery. Or we might never see eye to eye until she stops thinking she has all the answers. Yet shes not right with her own life...
Old 10-10-2010, 10:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Forgive me if I don't completely understand...I don't wanna assume something. Are there bad feelings about alcohol and or drug use?

I'm in recovery myself. My sister had (has?) a problem with alcohol / drugs. I was ready to be done with her. The way it was affecting the family...ughh! We had offered help so many times and she refused help...denied problems. Things may be better and last night we were at a dinner together and she was sooooooo funny and we got along great. She may have had a drink (not sure), but she didn't have the numerous unexplained absences. So I'm hopeful she's getting, or is, better.

Anyway...the point is maybe it will take time. Have you tried talking to her about it? Hang in there. I hope things work out.
Old 10-10-2010, 10:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't have any support from most of my family.
I stopped trying to make something out of nothing, and I'm happier for it

I'm glad I can always come here and find support
D
Old 10-11-2010, 12:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi! Sorry for your difficulties with your sister. One thing I needed to get straight in my own relationships when getting sober where boundaries with my family and accepting limitations on my ability to influence their lives and to make sure I did not let their actionmeans lacl of support influence me. Bit its hard and sad so you Have my sympathy.
Old 10-11-2010, 02:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I also didn't have any support from friends/family. I got the ball started with SR.

SR was here for me and I glad I reached out.

All the best.
Old 10-11-2010, 04:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have very little family and pretty much built up my own support system, much of it here....I figured I can be a drinking problem alone or I can be a successful happier person on my own too.

it is not easy sometimes, but I still use ODAAT to get me through harder circumstances.
Old 10-11-2010, 09:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Soberliner

Thanks for the help with this. Me and my has problems with drinking because of the family. How disfuntional it was. I just thought that theirs got to be a way we can help each other find peace with where we are know, that were adults. Yeah I guess thats just something we gotta do on our own. THANKS AGAIN.