Notices

I've been away from SR more than I would have liked...

Old 10-10-2010, 08:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Bob

I've been away from SR more than I would have liked...

but I have great news... I am an hour away from completing my eighth day of sobriety!!!

We went to dinner with another couple last night, the husband (the one who just lost his job, and we suspect due to how he acts while drunk) only had two beers, and the ladies each had wine. I had 3 diet cokes and a water.

The topic of my quitting drinking came up, and as so many of you stressed in your posts... it wasn't nearly as big of a deal as I had been envisioning it.

We walked around the town a bit after, and then my wife and I did something we haven't done for years together... went to Borders to have a coffee and browse around until they closed.

Today I went to the Browns game (although they lost again ), and the same guy from last night had his share of beers, but me and another guy had our pop and pricey stadium food. Honestly, very little craving last night and today.

And, I've started to realize, both last night and today... when I would drink, I would obsess on how I was going to keep my buzz going. Like last night... we left the restaurant and walked around, not a bar in site. The old me would have pushed to have us drive somewhere else for a "nightcap", and then I'd be anxious to get home so I could "relax with a beer or two alone".

Today, the same thing. I used to stress towards the end of the 3rd quarter because they stop selling beer. I'd then look forward to the game ending so that I could get home ASAP to get back to drinking my Sunday away. Instead, I came home, picked up my wife and we went shopping for two hours.

Long winded... but to sum it up...

Happy to be sober, and so happy as I begin to learn that living without alcohol is much better than I ever expected.

My wife is happy as ever too... she's not lonely in bed falling asleep while I spend my hours in the basement nightly.

Thanks to all of you for helping me get to this point!!!
Old 10-10-2010, 08:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

congratulations on your 8 days

D
Old 10-10-2010, 08:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Being Me for the first time

big old smiles for ya .. " who'da thunk" aye ??/ we always thought that there was no fun if something to blurr the mind wasnt involved and how we would seek the alternitive routes etc to get that last call .. or last stop at the bottle shop .. Im supper happy for you Race and Im sorry your team lost .. dont feel bad .. Mine sucked big time .. ooh well its only football .. and congrats on the WEEK !! wahoo I know its a extra day as well but didnt see yah to say that yesterday .. right on Bob .. huggles Endzy
Old 10-10-2010, 08:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congrats on your 8 days Racin

One of the little blessings of my sobriety is remembering the second half of football games.

Glad you're happy and sober, all at the same time.
Old 10-10-2010, 09:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Awesome racin! Nice job. Let's not talk about Football though. Packer fan.

Good to read about all the success you're having.
Old 10-11-2010, 05:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Way to go!!
Old 10-11-2010, 05:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on your sober time, and many more sober days to come.
Old 10-12-2010, 04:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi, Racin! Love the name because that's my sport, NASCAR! It is so nice to be sober and go to a sporting event, or just take a walk like you and the missus did. Sunday I decided "what the heck, I need a day for ME! Yes, ME!" LOL. So I put gas in the car, got an ice cold bottle of water, and drove out to Fontana to watch NASCAR up close.

Yeah, it was 65 miles each way, yeah I forgot sun screen, yeah those cars are loud!, yeah that racing fuel stinks, yeah it was hot: BUT, yeah , I had one heck of a great time!

And I watched all the ones buying those $12 beers and acting totally stupid (jeese, I remember I thought it was cool to act like that! *sigh*) and I totally enjoyed my day sober. That was day 39 for me. I guess you're up to day 10 now? Congrats. One day at a time. It does get a lot better.
Old 10-12-2010, 05:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good for you, it sounds like you're doing well!
Old 10-13-2010, 01:25 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

when I would drink, I would obsess on how I was going to keep my buzz going
Oh wow... thats so what I am like. I hate the looking for the next buzz... should we leave now... is there more drinks at the next place... is there still time for offsales (11pm close for Canada). It ruins everything. GLad you are enjoying your sobriety. There is more enjoyment to come!!!