Notices

What big book mean at aa meetings?

Old 10-06-2010, 08:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What big book mean at aa meetings?

What does ' big book ' mean, I know it's the blue aa book.
There's a meeting I want to go and it says bb for big book. Do they just read and discuss or what do they do? Also just curious do all meeting end by saying the Lords prayer? And if so why? I've only been to one group and that what they do.
Old 10-06-2010, 12:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm a little confused...the BB is the big blue book: Alcoholics Anonymous. And, although I have never been to that "kind", I assume that , like Step Meetings, the attendees read from the book, out loud.

About the Lord's prayer....yes, or the serenity prayer.

Now for my disclaimer! I have found that meetings vary widely in the US and abroad, in terms of format, chips for sobriety, protocol, etc. However, prob. all would follow the "traditions" in the manner in which they interpret them.
Old 10-06-2010, 12:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome.....

The reason the AA text book is often called the Big Book
is because the First Edition was published on inexpensive
paper....and thus....was larger than most printed at that time.

You are correct...BB meetings usually consist of
reading and discussing whatever section the group
is on. They are also Closed meetings...only
people who consider themselves alcoholic attend.

Please read this excellent link about meetings

Your First AA Meeting<

Each group votes on their choice of format...readings
and what prayers ...if any ...are used when.

All my best.....thanks for asking about AA
Old 10-06-2010, 01:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

BTW if you don't choose to join in prayers
all you have to do is remain silent and respect
those who do.

This is not unusual....please don't let that stop
you from going.....there is much beneficial to your
continueing sobriety to be found in meetings...
Old 10-07-2010, 05:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
dopeless hope fiend

i have an aversion to the lord's prayer(a me problem i know) and have never really understood why a christian prayer is said in a non-religious program. but when i am in an aa meeting where it's said i just remain silent. no justification for being an azz about it.

but honestly, the absence of the lord's prayer and non substance specific language are two things that really attracted me to NA, which is the fellowship i'm a member of.

i'm just glad that so many 12 step programs exist, because they work!
Old 10-07-2010, 06:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A work in progress

At a Big Book meeting, they read/discuss (and hopefully study) the Big Book. The reason is, the BB is the basic "textbook" for recovery in AA. Many books with wisdom can be read endlessly, and you find something new each time. Sometimes something that once seemed irrelevant or confusing will suddenly take on new meaning when it is read or considered in a slightly different context.

So far as the prayers are concerned, some people do have a problem with them, though many people lose that aversion after a bit. Regardless of your religious beliefs (or lack thereof), standing together with others and expressing feelings of gratitude for what we have, a desire to forgive others and be forgiven ourselves, a desire for strength in the face of evil, is still a powerful thing. As Carol mentioned, if it bothers you, standing or sitting quietly and respectfully is always appropriate.

I've gone to weddings, funerals, or other religious events that didn't fit with my personal beliefs. But being in the company of others expressing their faith has never bothered me.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:49 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Bill W made a number of statements regarding the reciting of the Lord's Prayer at the closing of (some/many) AA meetings.

In a letter in 1959, Bill W stated that the reciting of the Lord's Prayer at AA meetings probably was just early AA members carrying over a tradition they had used when they were in The Oxford Group (a noted Christian group of the time).

In a 1955 letter, Bill W wrote (in part), "...it is sometimes complained that the Lord’s Prayer is a Christian document. Nevertheless, this Prayer is of such widespread use and recognition that the argument of its Christian origin seems to be a little far-fetched..."

....its Christian origin farfetched.....? I've often wondered if this is the height of arrogance or the height of ignorance.......mebbe it's just me.

The question regarding the Lord's Prayer comes up every so often. At a General Service conference in 1962, the following Q/A came up.....:

"Question: What is the procedure for dealing with individuals who refuse to stand during recitation of the Lord's Prayer? Answer: Participation--or non-participation-in recitals of the Lord's Prayer should be considered a matter of personal conscience and decision."

Yes, if I go to a Baptist Church or a Jewish Synagogue, I expect 'their concept' of HP/God. I've always been told that AA is 'spiritual' and not 'religious.' However, I've always found it interesting that for a group that espouses all-inclusiveness, why it should put something 'out there' knowing that some may not participate (sounds exclusionary to me). IMHO, to be truly all-inclusive, choosing something that nobody, more than likely, would 'opt-out' of would be more appropriate.

....But, then again, that's just me.

(o:
NoelleR
Old 10-07-2010, 10:51 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Originally Posted by NoelleR View Post
In a 1955 letter, Bill W wrote (in part), "...it is sometimes complained that the Lord’s Prayer is a Christian document. Nevertheless, this Prayer is of such widespread use and recognition that the argument of its Christian origin seems to be a little far-fetched..."

....its Christian origin farfetched.....? I've often wondered if this is the height of arrogance or the height of ignorance.......mebbe it's just me.
Heh,

Hmmm, maybe a case could be made that it's of Judaic origin (since it was taught by a Jew TO Jews), but no matter.

I think Bill was stretching himself a bit thin when he wrote that.
Old 10-07-2010, 12:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
dopeless hope fiend

i could endorse the spirit of the lord's prayer philosophically, and do wholeheartedly endorse forgiveness(amongst us humans), but the first part just makes me feel uncomfortable.

I do not believe in a supernatural creator being, and if i did it wouldn't be a man. i don't believe in heaven(or hell). being that i don't believe in this version of god, being forgiven by him isn't on the table either. basically, however noble the rest of the prayer may be, the our father who art in heaven hallowed be thy name part is a non-starter for me. i feel disingenuous praying to something i don't believe in.

now, everyone is entitled to their beliefs, and i don't hold judgment of them. Now, i'll replace the words in my mind with my definition and understanding in cases like this, and when others share about their HP in meetings. It's semantics really, and not a huge deal.

But, i've always found it quite odd that a program that encourages us to find a god of our understanding and states clearly that's it not aligned with a particular religion would use a christian prayer.

the serenity prayer is absolutely perfect and applicable to anyone, and doesn't have the dogmatic implications of the lords prayer.

anyway, just my $.02
i didn't intend to turn this into a lord's prayer thread. carry on my friends.