Notices

Almost did, but didnt!

Old 10-05-2010, 11:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Almost did, but didnt!

hey guys!
im feeling proud of myself after winning a minor battle with the devil on my shoulder lol

i was up visiting my sister and a bunch of us went up the mountain quading and 4x4ing, of course this is regular par for having beers and stuff, and everyone else was. i chose not do drink and just enjoy myself....

after we were up there for a bit and made a fire and stuff everyone else kept havin there beers...and i started to waiver...asked my sister for one of hers and she laid the guilt on me and said she didnt want to be the one that gave it to me...so as we all are, i gave the 'speech' lol "im a grown girl, its my decision if i want to have one and it has nothing to do with her etc..." anyways, took one of someone elses (was with people i just met so obviously they dont know me and my problem)

stood there with it in my hand, just holding it, going back and forth in my head, i want it, i dont want it, i should, i shouldnt.... played with the tap to open it, clicking it, flicking it, still wrestling...then it happened. i felt serenity come over me. i put the beer back in the box and spent the rest of the day/night sober, feeling really good i had the strength to do it. too tell the truth, i didnt even WANT it!

anyways, just wanted to share my moment lol
still going strong! Day 31 for me!!!
Old 10-05-2010, 11:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congratulations!!!

I know how hard that moment can be...but as you said, you chose to stay sober..you should be so proud!!! I'm only on day 7 and am hanging in there too..can't wait to be at day 31!

congrats again!
Old 10-05-2010, 11:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Seriously, good job. I'm 32 days and having a good day. Keep it up!!
Old 10-05-2010, 11:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Drunk in Recovery

Congratulations!!! Thanks for sharing.
Old 10-05-2010, 11:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

wow - that is awesome and so inspirational to me.

I'm so glad you did the right thing, which is usually the harder thing, but you came through it. Great job!
Old 10-05-2010, 11:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by duggy View Post
Congratulations!!!

I know how hard that moment can be...but as you said, you chose to stay sober..you should be so proud!!! I'm only on day 7 and am hanging in there too..can't wait to be at day 31!

congrats again!
i remember when i was on day 7 saying the same thing lol i cant believe its day 31 already. if you would have asked me before, i would say i could never make it. this is the longest ive been in like 5 years.
Old 10-05-2010, 12:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Vanilla, that is wonderful..really!!

I keep breathing..in with the good..out with the bad..rinse and repeat
Old 10-05-2010, 12:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

We are on the same number of days Thanks for sharing and having the power to put it down and focus on what's right for you.
Old 10-05-2010, 12:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
rode hard and put away wet

that's not minor! congrats!
Old 10-05-2010, 01:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on your 31 days Vanilla - I'm glad you have such good support too

D
Old 10-05-2010, 01:29 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Tryin Hard To Think Clear

Very inspirational. I've been having a rough go of it today with temptation as well, but your post is helping me beyond it.
Old 10-05-2010, 02:45 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

awh just reading your guys responses makes me feel even better. it was really hard, but once i decided not to open it, wow what a weight was lifted off my shoulders, after that, it was easy to not even be tempted for the rest of the night.

Dee74, u are right, i do have a good support system at home...but i get most of my support thought the people on this site. so glad i found it.

its kinda blurry, but this is the view from where i was standing during all of this lol

http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/3893/020lth.jpg

okay, this ones not so blurry lol
http://img641.imageshack.us/img641/7316/017cm.jpg

and then later on when the sun was setting.
http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/3331/018jx.jpg
Old 10-05-2010, 04:18 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Vanilla,

It's gett ing through the moments like that, that will make you stronger.
Old 10-05-2010, 06:53 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
part time member

I admire your strength! It will be easier next time. Perhaps don't pick at the tab while it is in your hand? MMMmmm. Leave it in the cooler and have a water or pop or something.
Old 10-05-2010, 07:20 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
EntertheSticks

Same thing happened to me today. I am not sure what I am at for days but its something 10-15 or so and I had a bad day at work, passed my favorite bar, and I pulled in the parking lot. I walked on looked around on the stools and it was a bunch of guys that had clearly been there since work that were already ridiculously drunk, even the bartender was drunk. I ordered a beer, paid for it, took in my surroundings, went to take a sip, stopped, tipped the bartender, and walked out.

I drove home and I am still in a terrible mood, but at least I will be able to manage it sober.

I know all too well the strength it took for you to say no, keep it up its a very hard thing to do but will only make you stronger.
Old 10-05-2010, 07:45 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Vanilla,

Glad you didn't drink. And I don't mean to rain on your parade, but it really isn't a good idea to be putting yourself in those kinds of situations in early sobriety. There's a saying that if you keep hanging around the barbershop, one of these days you're gonna decide to get a haircut.

No point in putting yourself in harm's way for no good reason.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:09 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

great pics Vanilla

D
Old 10-05-2010, 08:34 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LexieCat View Post
Vanilla,

Glad you didn't drink. And I don't mean to rain on your parade, but it really isn't a good idea to be putting yourself in those kinds of situations in early sobriety. There's a saying that if you keep hanging around the barbershop, one of these days you're gonna decide to get a haircut.

No point in putting yourself in harm's way for no good reason.
hey, no raining involved. lol i feel the same about what you just said. the difference is i wasnt around home. i was 5 hours away visiting my sister. i hadnt met these other people before, they were some new friends of theirs. didnt even know we were going to go do that until the day of. lol i could have just sat at their house while they all went i suppose, but you cant stop living just because you stopped drinking lol
my sister is a huge support for me, thats why i went out to see her in the first place, get away from here.