Notices

Bricking it !!!!

Old 10-05-2010, 07:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Bricking it !!!!

i'm due at my 1st aa meeting at 7.30p.m-the only thing is-i'm ABSOLUTELY sh1tting myself-i spoke toa lovely woman on the phone today-for nearly an hour-she was great-welcomed me etc and said she would meet me outside-i'm still scared-is that normal ? ? ?
Old 10-05-2010, 07:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think recovery is always very scary at the beginning.

I'm glad you are seeking support.
Old 10-05-2010, 07:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Sure is normal...it's new, it's unknown, you don't know what's gonna happen, how it'll happen......etc etc.

Here's the other side though....what you DO know....what you HAVE been doing isn't working so well so, if things need to change in your life then you're going to have to change some things in your life...right?

--see the quote below in my signature--
Old 10-05-2010, 07:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

head is messed up
Old 10-05-2010, 07:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

I mean this with all the compassion I can get to come across a message board - I know...and that's just the way it is.....but it doesn't have to stay that way.....and it WON'T if you put some work into recovery.

I think you'll find that meeting you're so nervous about is "really no big deal." I remember walking out after my first one and thinking, "You've gotta be kidding me......THAT's it......doing THAT and coming to THESE is gonna help me stay sober???!!!" lol - I was kinda bummed that there weren't ppl levitating or spewing phenomenal words of wisdom for all to hear.... that first meeting was kinda anticlimactic for me - lol
Old 10-05-2010, 07:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Totally normal! I was so scared, but my fear dissolved within minutes of arriving to the meeting room.. and then, relief, that I finally found a place where everyone understood me.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
April 18, 2010

Joey, I was terrified to go. I first considered going several years ago but was too chicken. When I finally went to one, this year, I was still terrified, but in the end I found that overall it was a worthwhile experience to try it. Good luck. They don't bite, at least around these parts.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:49 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Tryin Hard To Think Clear

I felt really uncomfortable my first meeting too. What helped for me was kind of the same thinking as when you go swimming. Just dive in! I shared my last meeting, and it really helped!
Old 10-05-2010, 11:10 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Drunk in Recovery

Let's see -- facing your own worst fear *and* doing it in a room full of total strangers?! Yep, pretty scary no matter how you slice it...

All I can say is, I was so terrified it took me three days to actually go to my first meeting (kept planning it and then making some excuse or just plain backing out at the last minute). Then I went, and it wasn't so scary to keep going after that.

If I can do it, joey, believe me, you can too!!
Old 10-05-2010, 11:36 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I was very scared of my first meeting. In fact just 10 days earlier I had not intent to ever even give AA a try. People on this forum replied to a thread I started just like this one (that was in August). So with my decision that I needed to reach out to make this work and encouragement from people here I braved my first meeting. Not only was it not frightening but I actually felt relatively relaxed - although it was strange as anything new. But people make me feel welcomed and seemed to understand how I might be feeling. Everyone has a "first" meeting and you only have one "first" meeting. Subsequent meetings are much different because you know what to expect and are not nearly as worried. Try different meetings if you get a chance - you will get something different out of different meetings. Let us know how it goes.
Old 10-05-2010, 11:43 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Look at it this way Joey, when I went to my first meeting I was forced to go by the courts. I used that as an excuse to get all the info I needed yet still stay on the outside edge of the meeting. I didn't feel obligated to participate more than I wanted. I just went, said I was checking it out and sat back and listened until I got comfortable. That is all you have to do. Go in, say you are just checking it out, then once you are comfortable you can start taking part. There is no obligation on your part to do anything other than listen. Once I felt ok with my surroundings I started making contact with people and started learning. There is really nothing to fear.
Old 10-05-2010, 11:47 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I felt the same way when I went to my first group meeting. I was nauseous and nervous. The counselor who was directing me said "it's ok honey, they won't bite". I thought about it once I was there since these were people who had been in my same situation. Many people I'm sure will lend an open because they remember being there at one point and know how much support is needed to battle this addiction. Good job on seeking the support
Old 10-05-2010, 01:25 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope it went well for you Joey

D
Old 10-05-2010, 02:42 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Hey, Joey,

Glad you found a meeting. I emailed you a list of Liverpool AA meetings that I got from my friend. She's got her phone number on that list--a lovely lady named Danielle.

Totally normal to be scared to go in, but my hope is that you find, as a lot of us have, it's a friendly and welcoming place.

Looking forward to hearing about your experience.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:22 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Hey Joey....... how was that meeting?