Notices

Back home...

Old 10-04-2010, 09:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Back home...

Well made it through the first day of University. Registered for the course and received all the library cards etc.

I commute from home and it takes an hour to drive there and then there's the parking which the first car park I went to was full so I had to find another one to park in. One way streets the wrong way and that good stuff! All gravy!! Lol.

The driving and parking is stressful man. I used my 'tools' to cope and I couldn't remember where I'd parked the car so was walking around for about an hour feeling anxiety trying to well up but I used my recovery tools and breathing exercises and I was OK.

The University seems really nice and it was great seeing loads of young people who are all starting too. I went for a drink in the Student Union bar and had a coke. I'm glad that I've lived in at University before as I don't feel like I'm missing out. There is stuff going on every night but I'm just glad to make it home in one piece! Lol. been there done it and got the drink driving conviction! ha-ha.

I am so grateful for SR for always being there for me and it's also comforting to know AA meetings are there too.

My recovery is always so prominent in my mind and it's great that it's that way as I have undoubtably an alcoholics mind. I can instantly over analyse my thoughts and go negative and it really helps having a recovery program to work.

It isn't surprising to me that I dropped out of life when I was drinking. I don't know how I could cope when drinking and drugging. 'One day at a time' really helps me and stops my mind from trying to race ahead and start projecting about stuff. I guess my mind just tend to worry so keeping it in the day stops it!

Thank you so much to everyone on SR who has supported and inspired me on my journey. One thing is for sure that it really comforts me when I know that I can come onto SR and get my thoughts/emotions/feelings out and I'm really grateful.

It really is a case that as an alcoholic then drinking simply ain't an option so anxiety and stress has to be felt and worked through with the tools, most of which I picked from SR, breathing exercises I find really useful!! I am so grateful for my acceptance of my alcoholism and drug addiction as I know what the score is for me and what I should and shouldn't be doing. Also I am ever warey of the old alkie ways prominent in my natural traits like worry and over analysis.

Thanks for letting me share, I know that before i got sober then i would have sat in that student bar all day long and made drunken conversation with all the new students on a real high. Not anymore and that's OK as I can just about cope with life now, before I couldn't. I know I have a natural tendency to think negatively when under stress. However I should feel proud that I am the path to where I want to go to. All the other stuff will slot in place in good time.

Grateful to be sober.

Peace
Old 10-04-2010, 12:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Cool, good stuff,sounds like things is falling nicely into place..well done.
Old 10-04-2010, 12:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good for you!
Old 10-04-2010, 12:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Cool!
Old 10-04-2010, 01:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well said Neo. Awesome work and way to go on your new path. I could've written some of your sentences myself. I totally could relate.

I remember getting ready for college (I had worked for a few years so I went in later then others) and man I felt amazing.

Making the change and seeing these good things come out of our hard work just leaves me smiling quite often these days.

All the best!
Old 10-04-2010, 03:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good luck, Neo. You deserve all the good stuff coming your way.
Old 10-04-2010, 03:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Glad you had a good first day Neo

D
Old 10-04-2010, 04:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're doing well, Neo!
Old 10-04-2010, 05:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I remember when I went back to university for my second year and really buckled down that I made a lot better friends when I wasn't drinking. That drinking crew fizzled out - many of them either dropped out or were forced to drop out. The new friends I made were with me for the years that remained, and I am still friends with 4 or 5 of them. We shared a lot of laughs over coffees instead. And my marks, well it goes without saying how much better they were. They had to be since I was on a probationary term and was facing the possibility of getting kicked out.

Have a great year at school, Neo! You really deserve all the best that life has to offer!
Old 10-05-2010, 08:04 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Excellent post Neo!
I wish mine was similar, only I went to the student bar and had a beer. Que relapse central. I'm gonna love your posts this year seeing as they'll be 100% applicable to what I'm going through too.

What subjects are you taking do you mind me asking?
Old 10-05-2010, 08:54 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Tryin Hard To Think Clear

Wow, Neo...long commute! Just like my commute as well...I use the time to ponder where I'm at, what I can do better.

I really feel you on the parking situation. I started parking at free parking about 20 minutes away and riding my bike.

Good work! You're an inspiration!