Notices

Around the Year with Emmet Fox - 30 September 2010

Old 09-30-2010, 06:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Around the Year with Emmet Fox - 30 September 2010

CUT MY OWN THROAT!

A man came to see me in London in great distress. He had attended some lectures I gave, and wanted advice. He was the owner of a general grocery store in a village in the south of England, and hitherto there had been no competition. Now, one of the big chain stores was opening a branch almost opposite to him in the main street, and he was in a panic.

He said, "How can I compete with them? I am ruined."
I said, "You know the Great Law. You know where your supply comes from. Why be afraid?"
He said, "I must do something."
I said, "Stand in your shop each morning and bless it, by claiming that divine Power works through it for great prosperity and peace for all concerned." He nodded his head in agreement.
I added, "Then look down the street to where they are fitting up the new store, and bless that in the same way."
"What? Cut my own throat?" he almost screamed.

I explained that what blesses one, blesses all. I told him that he was really hating his competitor (through fear) and that his hatred would destroy him, while blessing the "enemy" was the way to get rid of hate. I finished by saying, "You cannot cut your thrat with prayer; you can only improve everything."

It took some time to persuade him, but at last he got the idea, and when I met him several years later he told me that his business had been better than ever since the chain store appeared; and that it seemed to be getting on well too.

This is what Jesus meant when he said, Love your enemies (Luke 6:27)
Old 09-30-2010, 06:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

I'll add, on a personal note, that my own personal experience doing what was is described above has a perfect batting average.....100%.

The experiences in my life however are not 100% positive.....I wonder if that has anything to do with all the times I refuse to do what was described above because I have a "justifiable resentment" against "them"? lol