Notices

Around the Year with Emmet Fox - 28 September 2010

Old 09-28-2010, 04:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Around the Year with Emmet Fox - 28 September 2010

THE HIDDEN STUDIO

We are all engaged in building our consciousness druing every waking hour. This work is invisible, silent, and consdquently overlooked by the bulk of mankind. Nevertheless, it is the most fundamental and the most far-reaching activity in life. Hour by hour, and moment by moment, we are building good or evil, failure or success, happiness or suffering into our life by the ideas that we harbor, the beliefs that we accept, the scenes and events that we rehearse in the hidden studio of the mind. This fateful edifice, upon the construction of which we are perpetually engaged, is nothing less than our self--our personality, our identity on this earth, our very life story as a human being.

That wondrous building, the spiritual consciousness, is called in the Bible the Temple of Solomon, and we are told two wonderful things about that building. It was built without any noise (and we know that thought is soundless), and it was built upon a rock.

And the house, when it was in building, was built of stone made ready before it was brought thither; so that there was neither hammer nor axe nor any tool of iron heard in the house, while it was in building
(1 Kings 6:7)

...be thou my strong rock, for a house of defense to save me (Psalm 31:2)
Old 09-28-2010, 04:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

first off, I LOVE how Emmet explains what some of these Biblical passages mean - and maybe it's just what they mean to him..... I guess it doesn't matter....... I dig it.

Second..... this part: Hour by hour, and moment by moment, we are building (our consciousness) by the ideas that we harbor, the beliefs that we accept, the scenes and events that we rehearse in the hidden studio of the mind. really hits home today.

I look back at the thoughts I've been harboring.....the things I've used as the building blocks for my mind...and I can see some room for improvement. My Temple of Solomon sometimes more resembles a flop house than an actual Temple.