Notices

It's time!

Old 09-27-2010, 07:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

It's time!

Time to quit smoking these stupid cigarettes today! I’ve smoked off and on for 42 years. I’m a serial quitter. I quit smoking once for 5 years, another time for 2-3 years, and many many times for 3-6 months but I always go back. I’m not a ‘heavy’ smoker, I smoke generally a ½ pack a day; 3 in the morning, 2 at lunch, and 5 in the evening (yes I count them) on weekends it is more though.
I quit drinking 3 yrs ago and planned on quitting smoking after my 1 yr anniversary and I did, but it only lasted about 3 months until Thanksgiving, then I decided I was either going to smoke or drink and chose to smoke. My 3rd sober anniversary was the first of September and my 54th (biological) birthday is Wednesday and I’d really like to go into this year smoke free! I can’t stand the smell of cigarettes and I don’t really like the taste. I generally don’t smoke in my own home even though I live alone because I can’t stand the smell; when I do smoke in the house I have one spot in the back room where I allow myself to smoke and I light 2-3 candles when I smoke there. I don’t smoke in my car, again because of the smell; and during the work day I don’t take smoke breaks because I never wanted to be one of “those people” who stand outside smoking. I smoke because it’s a habit/addiction, I smoke out of bordom, I’ve always been a loner, I’m prefer being alone. I’ve never really cared if I live or die, no I’m not depressed nor suicidal, I just never understand peoples desire to live forever.
There are 2 reasons why I want to quit smoking:
1. It’s expensive! That extra $150-$200 a month would be nice to have!
2. Although I don’t care about living a long time I don’t want to have breathing problems and not be able to care for myself. (My dad was a 3 pack a day smoker for 40+ years then at age 60 he was diagnosed with adult asthma and COPD, (he quit smoking at that time) he’s still alive at almost 88 but up until about 2 yrs ago he had to use a breathing machine 2-3 times a day and was hospitalized several times. For some reasons his breathing is fine now.)
In the past I was always worried about weight gain with quitting but I joined a gym 5 months ago and I workout 5-6 days a week and I have very healthy eating habits so I’m not worried about that, and I picked up an old hobby (crocheting) a couple of weeks ago and am making an afghan for my daughter for Christmas to try and keep my hands occupied. What I am worried about is waking up in the morning, the morning is probably the only time I actually “like” to smoke and in the past when I quit I’ve had trouble getting out of bed in the morning because I don’t have those 3 cigarettes to race outside for. I had my 3 cigarettes this morning so tomorrow will be my first morning w/o. Anyone have any ideas on how to handle that morning issue?
Old 09-27-2010, 06:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Judy,
I quit smoking over 2 1/2 months ago,and I remember that yes it was a bit tough in the beginning to not have those cigarettes first thing. I am a person who would smoke at least 2 cigarettes before I even thought about getting out of bed!! I definitely missed them at first but eventually I did adjust to it and now I dont.I would sugest,to make it eassier,to change your morning routine around. Maybe head for the shower first thing,if thats not what you nornally do. Or have your coffee in a different location.
I see from your post that you dont take smoke breaks at work. Thats good,one less thing to get used to. I had to get used to that because I did take smoke breaks.
It is good that you are a fairly light smoker.I smoked like a freight train! LOL almost 3 packs a day at my peak.If I can quit,I know you can. Perhaps some sort of nicotine replacement like the patch or gum or lozenges. I use the lozengses.
Post back and let us know how its going
Old 09-28-2010, 09:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I couldn't drag myself out of bed this morning and didn't get to work until 10:30 (normally here at 8am). This happens to me every time I quit smoking I just can't get up in the morning. I usually drink just half of a small can of diet Dr Pepper in the morning but w/o the cigarettes it doesn't taste right so I just layed in bed dozing off and on until I finally got up. When I don't smoke all I seem to do is sleep and that really sucks because I love being up at 5:30 a.m. and sitting outside communing w/God and nature it's my favorite time of day. I even had a piece of nicorette gum by my bed it didn't help I didn't want it I just wanted to sleep. I get very depressed when I quit smoking, when I OD'd 3 yrs ago I had been off cigarettes for a month or 2 and was depressed and 5 yrs ago when I apparently passed out in my car while driving home from work I'd been off cigarettes for a few months as well. Seems like when I quit smoking bad things happen. arghhjh
Old 09-28-2010, 10:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Black and Yellow

I am going to follow your story! I am quitting this monday (Oct. 4th) for the 3rd time in a little over a year. Last time I went 2 months. I am so sick of smoking and I feel more ready to quit than ever. I said that last time, but I feel stronger about it this time.

I am using the patch and that helps me a whole bunch!

Good luck, and keep us posted!
Old 10-02-2010, 04:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Slvrmag and everyone...

I too am going to pack in Smoking on Mon 4th. I really want to do this so it will be much more better to have a start date with some-one else on here..

I'm dreading it but Ive done it before and know it gets easier so here goes....
Old 10-03-2010, 07:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

to the ones quitting on monday. good luck and I hope you will post often as you go thru the first days. I know of a good usenet group if anyone familiar with usenet is intersted. PM me and I will give it too you. I love it there
Old 10-03-2010, 08:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Judy,hows your quit going? havent seen a post from you an was wondering how it is going
Old 10-03-2010, 01:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Im already for quit day tomorrow. Got Gum, patches and hopefully Will power.I will post tomorrow to let you know how its going! xx
Old 10-03-2010, 06:36 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

oH definitely post and let us know how it is going.I remember the first day quit so well.Keeping a positive attitude helps me a lot. best wishes to you
Old 10-04-2010, 07:40 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Black and Yellow

Originally Posted by Kitey View Post
Im already for quit day tomorrow. Got Gum, patches and hopefully Will power.I will post tomorrow to let you know how its going! xx

I would be very careful using those together. Not meaning to tell you how to work your nicotine program (LOL) but you are adding more nicotine to your system and that's not good for your body and I imagine it would take longer to wean yourself off of the extra nic.

I have the gum but only plan to use it on super-emergencies!
Old 10-04-2010, 10:27 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks for the advice Slvrmag, I think I will use the Gum rather than the two. Frankly, I prefer the gum. Lets do it, It's gonna be tough at first as you already know but we also know through past experience that it gets easier.

My Mother died at the tender age of 56 yrs with a massive Coronary and she smoked, I'm now 53 yrs and wouldn't mind living a lot longer so this has to be done..Good luck to everyone who gives up xxx