Notices

getting off of the tramadol -

Old 09-26-2010, 10:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

getting off of the tramadol -

and wow, i had no idea that so many say it's worse than opiates. damn, never had any idea or i probably wouldn't have started. i guess what i've been doing with them hasn't been horrible, and frankly, i hadn't really considering getting off of them until i was unable to reup my supply in time. so since i'm here, i might as well stop - and now i'm reading the horror stories so that's a little more help.

i started taking the trams regularly in january. i've had experience with oxys and vics and all of that, but never had enough to get really hooked, but damn i probably would have if i could. anyway, i got on the trams to help with some joint pain, but stayed with them because they helped my mood. little did i know that they offer some kind of anti depressant effect. so for the next several months i was actually a pretty happy guy, more so than normal. don't get me wrong, i'm not a clinically depressed person, but i don't often experience true happiness. it seemed that with the trams i was just a little bit happier as i went through my days. for the entire time since january, i've only taken somewhere between 8 and 12 pills a day and have really tried not to drink much after i had recently taken a pill. but anyway, i took them because they elevated my mood. duh.

so aside from being addicted, i haven't felt like i've had much of a problem. or any problem. i never thought about it as substance abuse and figured i'd just stop whenever i got around to it. i was on oxys pretty heavy for a month after an operation and for a couple of nights those sweats and shakes sucked, but hey, big deal. after a couple days i was fine. little did i know that tramadol might be worse. oh ****!

anyway, i was running dry on wednesday so i only took about three or four on thursday. that night i received a nasty concussion. what timing! since i wouldn't be able to reup until monday, i'd have to go through the entire weekend without the pills i'd decided it was an opportune time to give it up. i'm never get any kind of opiate like euphoria anymore and i'm not convinced it's doing anything for my mood anymore either. so why bother.

friday i'm miserable with a nasty foggy concussion - and a painful as hell tooth that broke. what a perfect time for some pain relief and what a horrible time to be quitting! but it was done, the supply wasn't coming until monday so there i was. anyway, friday was miserable. i had saved three pills to take throughout the weekend to "taper". not much of a taper i'm sure, but i didn't have a choice. took two on friday night and the last one on saturday. nothing today.

over the weekend i've had a horrible headache but that could be from the concussion, i'm not sure. i've had the hot and cold - completely expected. sucks, but hey, i knew that part was coming. restlessness is definitely big for me right now. then there's the sleeping or desire to lay down and close my eyes. but again, maybe that could be from the concussion. i don't know what's what at this point, but if my life is going to be miserable, why not go all out!

so here we go. 10 pills a day to three to two to one and now to zero. and the only reason i got on these things was because they helped me be a slightly happier person. and they genuinely did. i don't have any sob stories about how the trams messed up my life. i never had any seizures, didn't lose all my money, haven't jumped to other things. in fact, lots of really cool things have happened to me the last year. that said, i'm not sure they've been having that same "happy" effect lately so losing the trams would be no loss anyway.

it's sunday night now. i'm hungry. i'm restless. my head hurts. i'm tired but i'm not. and the best news...tomorrow i'm on the hook for 180 tramadols. :rotfxko i guess that'll really put my dedication to the test. but i must confess that after reading about the horrors and actually learning about what i've been taking over the last couple of days, i'm actually motivated to get off of them because i can see that there could be a problem. so for that, i thank all of you good people out there that have had horrible experiences and shared them.

i'll get my trams tomorrow or the next day. i'll hold on to them. i won't take them. i'll probably look at them, but i doubt i'll jump all over them. most of you think i'm crazy or fooling myself. maybe. doubt it.
the plan is to stay tram free for a long time and then have them for then i may actually need a little pain relief or even catch a buzz. don't shame me for that, i still like to get high in moderation. like i said, i'm not all that happy anyway and there's no way i'm getting on those antidepressents that tend to really screw people up. i'm sure i'm not depressed enough to warrant anything like that.

anyway, i don't know why i wrote this other than just to give me something to do as i work my way through this restless and concussed night. my head really is hurting from that injury that i'm kind of forced to sit here, which only makes the tramadol withdrawals stick out more. i know nobody here is supposed to give medical advice and i wouldn't ask for that. maybe if anybody out there has any similar experiences or anything else with tramadol they'd like to share, i'm happy to listen. thanks for listening.
Old 09-26-2010, 10:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi lamar,

Welcome. This is one of the best recovery websites around.

It is inappropriate to promote the use of alcohol or drugs on our addiction recovery forums...but if you want to get off the trams completely and stay that way - not just sometimes still catching a buzz or getting high in moderation - you'll find a lot of support here.

D
Old 09-27-2010, 10:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

i understand what you're saying - but the thing is, i never had any idea they would be addictive. completely stupid to let it get to that place, i know. i'm much wiser for it. so the point for me now is that i'm into my second day without any tramadol after only having one little pill the day before and two the day before that. it hasn't been a pleasant time - but i'm fully committed to breaking my addiction. i slept about five minutes last night. i'm very uncomfortable for no apparent reason and it's very difficult to describe. restlessness is another thing i'm battling. today is pretty rough. yesterday was pretty rough. i'm guessing tomorrow and the next day will be too.

forget the stuff about "catching a buzz". i'm making no bones about this that i'm getting clean from this, but damn this is tough. when i was on oxys a few years back, it was just a couple of days and i was free. i knew from that moment i didn't want to experience that again and i haven't. never ever been tempted to get anywhere close. the same will be the case with tramadol - and like i said before, it was my ignorance that got me in this position in the first place.

i'm not saying i can't get addicted to other things. i've loved smoking pot over the years. if i had some, i had to smoke it. i could not put it in the drawer and just get it out on a random friday night like some people. i learned a lot about myself and cut ties with smokers and now i don't even know of a "guy". if i really want some, it's a just hassle, but knowing how i can't say no when i have it, i don't have it. so yes, i acknowledge the danger of having any of this stuff around. the difference between weed and the pills, however, is that i could always run out of weed and just be out. i'd probably be grumpy and restless for a few days without it but that would be it. i'd soon be on my way, not to mention that it's a natural substance - which really does make a big difference in the way i view it. heck, many many times i'd smoke the hell out of what i had just so i could be out and get back to some normal motivation filled days. weird huh? with the pills, you know that you're really and truly addicted to some crazy chemically produced stuff. it feels like a completely different ballgame to me.

so here i am, cutting myself off of the last pills i'll ever be addicted to. i assure you but most importantly me that i'll have full knowledge of what i'm taking before i ever take something again. but damn, today sucks. get me through these withdrawals and i'll be so happy. and yes, i feel as badly as i probably can and i have no interest in taking anything other than some tylenol. i don't even know why or care why i'm trying to convince others why this is for real. i know it is. i'm just hoping the pain will end soon. these last few days have been pretty rough.
Old 09-27-2010, 03:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope cutting yourself off means you're not going to buy more now - that would be a really good choice.

You may want to see your Doctor - as I understand it, getting off Tram can be a long and sometime arduous process.

As for natural vs chemical - I think it's a specious distinction Lamar - I destroyed my life pretty good on 'natural' drugs like marijuana - alcohols pretty natural too....

D