"Sometimes we hear an alcoholic say that the only thing he needs to
do is to keep sober. Certainly he must keep sober, for there will be
no home if he doesn't. But he is yet a long way from making good to
the wife or parents whom for years he has so shockingly treated."

Alcoholics Anonymous, 1st. Edition,
Into Action, pg. 82
Old 09-26-2010, 07:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It's true to some extent. But I've found if I want a half decent, fulfilling life I'm going to have to do more than just stay sober. I think a more accurate description is I must do many things in life but sobriety has to be #1 on the list.

And that's going to vary on the individual. That also means that some people are going to be able to handle more things than other people. I think it's important for the alcoholic to just do what they can handle at this given moment in their life.

If you can stay sober, have a complex job, have time for a variety of activities, then that's ok as long as you're putting your sobriety first.

If you're staying sober but can hardly work because of the stress, don't have much energy or mental capacity do to many other things, then that's what you do. As long as you're staying sober then that's the most important thing.
Old 09-26-2010, 08:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Sometimes we hear "the most important thing to me in my life is my sobriety." Sounds good.....but I heard a speaker question this belief/thought recently and what he said made sense.

IF your sobriety is the most important thing in your life........and if you're an alcoholic described in the BB........then the the most important thing to you in your life is something you're powerless to bring about.

Might it not your connection/relationship with the Power that keeps you sober be substantially more important than the sobriety itself since, without that Greater Power, you wouldn't and wont be sober?
Old 09-26-2010, 09:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DayTrader View Post

Might it not your connection/relationship with the Power that keeps you sober be substantially more important than the sobriety itself since, without that Greater Power, you wouldn't and wont be sober?
I just assumed that the two went together. For without God, sobriety wouldn't be possible for me. But what about the alcoholics who have a strong connection/relationship with their higher power but aren't staying sober? Certainly sobriety would have to be at the top of the list.