Notices

How do you practice the principles?

Old 09-23-2010, 05:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How do you practice the principles?

"We practice these principles in all our affairs" (BB 1st ed)

How do you, personally, practice the steps in your everyday life? How do you keep the steps and principles at the forefront when someone cuts you off in traffic, the bank makes an error or some other 'daily calamity' occurs?

For me, I try to be kind first. It helps me remember that God sees more than I do and he is working through everyone- not just me. (Gotta keep that ego in check!) I also use HALT all the time. If I'm hungry, particularly so, then I know that my fuse is shortened and I need to take care of my needs.

What do YOU do?
Old 09-23-2010, 05:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

HALT never really worked for me.... well, the T does have an impact but I found I can't always control when I'm hungry, angry or lonely. I also found I gained a bunch of weight in my first 2 yrs by "treating" my hunger and thinking it was right. I also learned, over time, that what I want / what I think I need and what I REALLY need aren't always in agreement.
--Not knockin' ya NG......just tossing that out there, yanno?

As for the 12th step and practicing these things in all our affairs, I really try to keep the program and my HP at the forefront of my mind all the time. When I post here, where I say hi to someone, when I'm in the car, when I'm closing a deal at work, when I'm cutting the grass.....pretty-much EVERY thing I do all day long, I really try to keep my friendship with HP first. When I'm doing that, I don't really have to worry about much because the right things to do just flow naturally. I look back at parts of my day when I was putting God first and...low and behold....I didn't do anything I regret, anything I need to make amends for, anything other than stuff that made my life and the lives of the ppl around me better.

Heh.....the key, of course, is staying in that place of connectedness.......which certainly has its challenges. My mind doesn't like to turn all control over to anyone or anything.....including God. See....I LIKE to play God myself - and believe me.....there's not much good comin' when I'm believing I'M the higher power.
Old 09-23-2010, 05:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
skg

If you're a regular device user, there are random number generator applications you can place on your desktop/celltop that you can use to create a number from 1-12, and then practice THAT principle for the day.
If you're NOT a device user, do what I do: Pick a dollar bill out of your wallet/purse, look at the Federal Reserve Bank number, and practice THAT principle for the day. Drop the dollar in the basket at your AA meeting.
If you're unfamiliar with the Federal Reserve Bank numbering, click here.
Two easy ways to practice the principles and leave the actual number up to "coincidence," if you believe in that stuff... ~wink~
Old 09-23-2010, 06:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NewGrowth View Post

I try to be kind first. It helps me remember that God sees more than I do and he is working through everyone- not just me.
That works for me...

I also try to detach... His will, not mine... That I will, in fact, get what I need, maybe not what I think I need... Trust has to play in there... Inventory is big for me also... ongoing... If I am troubled, I try to see what the resentment (I use that word loosely... it can be anxiety, anger, whatever) effects.. Does it effect my pride? I start at pride since that's where I usually find the answer

Good stuff, thanx NewGrowth.
Old 09-23-2010, 06:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Treat others the way you
want them to treat you.

With kindness, courtsey
understanding, etc.

Living the principles is
living the way my HP
wants me to live.

Im a good person. No
holy roly but do have
my faith for guidance
and protection.

Principles to me are
similar to the 10
Commandments that
were set before us millions
of yrs ago.

Not to lie, steal, cheat,
etc. living them in my
life to the best of my
ability.

H.A.L.T. and R.I D. along
with other sayings are
simple guidelines to help
us in recovery.

H for hunger can mean
feed ur tummy cause ur
empty. If your car runs
out of gas you fill up to
keep going. If ur body
runs out of food, you
stop. You chug along
sluggishly. Filling ur
body with good foods
give you a boost of
energy to keep going.

Notice ur car when u
fill it up and go. Doesnt
it feel like a better ride?

Mine does.

A for anger.
L for loneliness.
T for tired.

All those are triggers
or sensors to let you
know somethings not
right inside you.

They all affect each
other. When all are
addressed and taken
care of then you feel
mentally, physically,
emotionally and spiritually
fit.

R is for restlessness
I is for irritability
D is for discontent

Something isnt right
inside you. What is
causing you to be RID?

Triggers that alert you
to do something about
it.

Talking or sharing about
why you feel any of those
triggers allows others to
help you. They could be
in the same situation as
you or have been thru it
and can suggestion some-
thing to help that you may
not have thought of before.

That's why I come here
to share, so I know at least
theres someone who has
been there done that before
and can shed some light
on me to help.

I always know I never have
to go thru anything by myself
ever again.

I never have to figure out
anything by myself again.

SR always comes thru for
me.

And that is why Ive collected
a many one days at a time
together to get me to 20 yrs
sober.

It's my way of life to live
by each day.

Thank you SR. !!!
Old 09-23-2010, 06:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I start my day with prayer and meditation. After that it's all about acceptance. I try not to react and think things out if something isn't right. If I'm still disturbed about something then it's time to turn it over to my higher power.

It's also about faith. If I'm not drinking, doing the steps, going to meetings, then it's all about faith and acceptance after that. No matter what happens I know I can't drink. So I just do the best that I can with what I've got.
Old 09-23-2010, 07:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I try to keep it simple so I don't get overwhelmed (which can be a problem for me).
I try to be kind and honest in all my dealings.
I pray a lot. I don't know to whom or what, but I regularly say the serenity prayer and/or "thy will be done," and I carry a little card in my wallet that has the prayer of St Francis on it.
Attend a meeting and/or speak with other alcoholics.
Remind myself that I need to remain teachable. This helps me keep things in perspective.
I try to be of service or at least available for service.

If I'm having an introspective day then I'll get more in depth about how I'm practicing things, but most days following these steps reminds me of the principles and helps me to practice them.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:10 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

NG.......

For over a year HALT ...the Serenity Prayer..daily meetings
were vital for me. They kept in focus.

After a deepening in my spiritual connection...
.now as a recovered AA alcoholic......

I daily use The Golden Rulefor social interaction
God grants me serenity and joy.....
Old 09-23-2010, 08:54 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

How do you, personally, practice the steps in your everyday life?
I just follow the directions I've been given. Real simple.

Short version is, late in the evening, I review my day. On awakening, I take those things from the previous day's review into prayer and meditation. I ask that my motives stay out of selfishness, fear, and dishonesty. I ask to stay in God's will, not mine, so that I can be of use to those around me. Throughout my day, I pause often, seeking God's will for me and the willingness to follow it.

I find that when I do these things consistently, I don't get riled about the traffic, the bank trouble, the things around me. I glide through life without a lot of resistance.

Doing any more than that, is just me trying to run the show. I suck without God. So I keep that force in between me and those I interact with. I'm not in the business of taking care of my needs. I'm in the business of taking care of your needs, to paraphrase Chuck C.

And yeah, it takes a lot of practice. I can't be less selfish by trying to be less selfish. I can't be less resentful by trying to be less resentful. I practice keeping tuned into that power. It's not always easy.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:59 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

86/87 every morning...if i actually DO what it says...not just read it.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:00 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

@Keith, great post......
Old 09-23-2010, 04:52 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Smile

Staying spiritually fit and responsible with being of service to others balanced with being true to myself is a foundational daily practice I depend on to keep me in the zone. The Serenity Prayer, The Lord's Prayer, The Steps and the Fellowships guide me faithly thru all my best and worst times.

Remembering where I have come from, loving others as I love myself, and loving God with all my heart, all my mind, all my spirit, and with all my strength. I do onto others as I would have done unto me as best I can, and to not only love those who love me, but to love all persons as best I can for each new day in my life.

For me, living a sober spiritual life is the total thing to do. Nothing else is worth doing. There is nothing else to do.
Old 09-24-2010, 12:33 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Continue to nuture a connection to god......Continue to trust and let go.
I spend more time now in contemplation and prayer than i ever have...Some will call that a review i guess.

When the road get bumpy........the bank after my house for example, i soon discover whether im a talker or a doer..

i look for progress and i see it.......little by little i become something completely opposed to who i was ...

somewhere squarely in the middle i aim........not a perfectionist nor alkie without a drink.
Old 09-24-2010, 01:32 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

What do YOU do?
See my signature line----------->
Old 09-24-2010, 01:45 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

I like Keith`s answer cause I do very similar.
I live steps 10-11-12 daily according to the way they are laid out
In the Big Book
Because of step 4,resentments,fear and the sex stuff,I now have the tools to use....to stay free
I start with prayer and meditation seeking God`s will for me very early in the morning,what does He want me to do?I try and then do it.I go thru my day and sometimes stop and pray more,and rarely a day goes by when I do not pray during the day.I stop sometime during late evening and do the "upon retiring" and do what is necessary....
during the day,like Keith,the bank and traffic stuff rarely affects me in a bad way
during the day I try and remember to be of service to God and others