Notices

Making Changes

Old 09-20-2010, 04:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Making Changes

The first time I was around AA, 1988, I heard we had to make changes if we wanted to recover.

So, I shaved my beard off, stopped wearing a ridicules hat I had, changed my underwear everyday and wore clean clothes. And you know what happened? Nothing changed.

So 12 years later, the year 2000, I am back in AA, now for the 3rd time. And people were talking about making changes. I completely ignored what they said because I thought to myself, I already tried that and it didn't work.

Then one night at a speaker meeting, this guy gets up and says how his sponsor told him he had to change. He asked his sponsor, "just what do I have to change about myself?" and his sponsor replied, "everything!" But that was when I heard it, "change about myself," and that was when I got it. It's not the things on the outside I have to change, rather everything on the inside I have to change. The outside things I changed were the people I hung around with and the places I hung out at. Then the real work began, the inside. The attitude, ideas and the way I looked at life. And it was with the help of the spiritual program of the 12 Steps that made it possible to make all of those inside changes.

For this I will be forever Grateful. Thank you God.

Harry