Notices

need some advice

Old 09-14-2010, 06:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

need some advice

Have not been here for a long time! Things have not changed husband and myself both drink like fish. Everynight its happy hour plus we have friends that come over to have one or 10. everyday I wake up going ok it has to end but never does. Husband does not seem to think it is a problem. I feel like the town drunk and he is fur sure the town drunk, but the best thing is we only drink at home. What to do? has anyone ever been there? Please send advice just dont know what to do
Old 09-14-2010, 07:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Stop having the drinking friends over.

Call AA, go to a meeting. Go to detox if you are drinking a LOT, because the withdrawal can be dangerous.

It doesn't work to simply get up hoping it will be different. You have to DO something to make it different. It's harder if your husband doesn't see that he has a problem and continues to drink, but you can still do something about your own drinking.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

What do u do for the withdrawals?
Old 09-14-2010, 07:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi fighttowin

I did a lot of declaring 'things must change...tomorrow' - but nothing really did.

To break the cycle, you have to break the cycle.
With action.

This is your life we're talking about here - it's up to you to make it what you want it to be

You'll find a lot of amazing support and help here.

I'd also advise you, like Lexie said, to go to your Dr, then go to a meeting of the recovery group of your choice (AA, SMART...whatever).

Work hard at changing your life - cos you deserve a better one

It would be great if your husband came along too, but it's not a deal breaker if he doesn't - many folks here have spouses who still drink.

It's hard, but not impossible....

Keep us updated with what you decide to do
D
Old 09-14-2010, 09:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

What Lexie and Dee wrote pretty much says it all. fight - up to you to do things to change things.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I get an impression that this is a very frequent situation in the times in which we live. Ideally it would be well to get your husband's cooperation, first by discussing it among yourselves and then possibly going to a counselor who might help to diagnose your situation and make a recommendation. It would be a good idea to seek a group (AA or otherwise) for discussion and support. If you require some kind of detox, then an experienced doctor can help you. It's more comfortable and safer that way. Good luck. All the best.

W.

Last edited by wpainterw; 09-14-2010 at 09:42 PM. Reason: typos
Old 09-15-2010, 06:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yeah, you just described my husband and me, except for we didn't have friends over all the time. Just drank every night. Then my drinking became a problem.. .his may be, but i am not going to make that call.

I quit. I had enough. I went to AA. I usually say glowing things about AA, and it does help to be around other alcoholics.

Are you done drinking? You really want to quit? Then do it.
Old 09-15-2010, 07:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think that if you want to change your life, then you can do it, but it will take a lot of commitment and hard work.

Have you talked to your dr because it can be dangerous to detox from alcohol?

There is lots of support here, so keep reading and posting.
Old 09-15-2010, 02:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

My husband also loves to drink but there is a difference between him and myself...he can turn it off and not have it bother him in any way, shape or form. He didn't want me to turn to a recovery group, he thought it was a bit of a pride pounding but you know what, in just 12 short days he has cleaned all of his booze out of our home, researched al-anon and is going to come to some open meetings with me. I have told him if he wants to go out with the boys and have a few, so be it but he has sworn himself off of any drink until I am stronger and further along in recovery.

When I told him I quit, I told him either support me or don't, but I have to get help with or without his blessing. This is your journey, your sobriety so you have to take a stand with or without his support. He will see in a very short time how much better you will feel and be without booze and he will be on board. His drinking, or drinking problem is up to him to measure, you can only help you and if you think you need to stop drinking, you probably do.

D.
Old 09-15-2010, 07:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for a little advice! I do know it will be hard and a lot of self control,but I want this so bad. I did have to laugh tonight when out on date night with hubby I had Ice tea, but all the way there that little voice in your head saying oh have a beer, its ok life is good have just one and it kept talking all the way there. The lonest I have ever quit is of course when I carryed my children and after that 3 weeks last april. Does that little voice ever shut up?
Old 09-15-2010, 07:41 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I find the harder and longer I work on my recovery, the less and less it can be heard fighttowin

D
Old 09-15-2010, 09:52 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Well the promise of addiction is it will progress and in time it will take you down. Maybe not today or tomorrow, but it will.
You know that you have a problem, that is the first step.. Don't wait on your husband, denial is a horrible thing and he may not ever get it. Go get some help for yourself.
Old 09-16-2010, 04:11 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fighttowin View Post
Thanks everyone for a little advice! I do know it will be hard and a lot of self control,but I want this so bad. I did have to laugh tonight when out on date night with hubby I had Ice tea, but all the way there that little voice in your head saying oh have a beer, its ok life is good have just one and it kept talking all the way there. The lonest I have ever quit is of course when I carryed my children and after that 3 weeks last april. Does that little voice ever shut up?
There's never just "ONE" beer. Anyway, that's how I was. In fact I saw no point in starting to drink anything if it was going to be only one drink. I mean what's the point? You don't even get a buzz. I could never understand people that would drink just one and sit there looking oh, sooo sober.......arhhhh, get a life, I use to think.

My husband is one of those that can drink one beer. NOT me.

It's hard to stop to drink cause we have all those good memories associated with drinking. (somehow we forget all the bad memories, getting sick, forgetting what you did last night), hiding the bottles, driving and drinking etc....

It's a brain thought turn around as well as keeping away from alcohol.

I"m still working on brainwashing myself.
Old 09-16-2010, 05:04 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

so you made a conscious choice last night...and posting here to put your thoughts down is also a good start....

it will be a challenge to yourself but you have to expect that you are going to experience withdrawals...(your drinking pattern sounds a lot like mine)...

you might seriously consider going to your doctor and being honest about your consumption....he can make it easier for you to de-tox and offer you options along with some blood work to see where you are at with your body's processing all of that alcohol.

60-70 drinks per week are alot! whether it be beer wine or hard stuff.