Notices

The recovery of a mentally ill individual versus non ill

Old 09-13-2010, 11:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The recovery of a mentally ill individual versus non ill

I have heard that there are different methods for helping an addict who is also mentally ill. For example, my counselor told me that the treatment of an addict with bipolar disorder begins with the treatment of the underlying disorder, and then the addiction is tackled with full force when treatment for the BPD is under way.

I have both Bipolar Disorder and Borderline Personality Disorder, and while I have also been treated for stimulant and opiate addiction in the past, the focus on my mental disorders have been far more prioritized. I was told (when I asked) that this is because, if the mental illnesses are not addressed first, my addictions won't be properly assessed because a lot of my use came from the self-medication of my mental illness symptoms.

I sort of feel like things are harder for the addict without another mental illness, because it is usually a matter of self medication vs. a habit of use. It seems like recovering from a habit is more difficult, since there is no physical excuse for the use of a substance.

Are my deductions correct? What can you guys tell me about this?
Old 09-14-2010, 12:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

As someone who is also currently in counseling for bipolar disorder and borderline personality disorder I agree with you. My counselor and I talked about my need to self medicate to relieve the symptoms of my illnesses. We have always done this from day 1. I know that once I was stabilized on correct medication and cognitive behavioral therapy things started to become easier for me. I have been clean 7 months. I do understand what you mean and feel the same way. I know it wasn't much of a deduction but I understand.