Notices

Sunday Morning - 4 Days Sober

Old 09-12-2010, 09:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sunday Morning - 4 Days Sober

Hi Everyone,

I'm new here, I had my last drink Wednesday night, before midnight. I woke up feeling anxious, tired, sick to my stomach, hating myself. Wishing that I didn't have to go to work - but knowing that I had to get up and work 8 hours straight on my feet, dealing with people. Hoping that my alcohol breath would not wilt the faces of the sober people that would be looking me straight in the red eyes. I've been in this war of self will, hating myself, and drunkeness for many years.

I drink, wake up hating myself for what I've done, promise not to do it again, about 2 days later when all effects of hangover are gone - my thinking tells me I can do it again. Insanity.

So, last night, on the third day of sobriety - my brain told me I wanted to drink, rationilazation said "you don't have to work until 11am, go ahead drink, take a melatonin, go to bed by 10, you won't wake up with a hangover". So I kept arguing with myself and I started to eat some food. Wow, what a normal concept for normal people - eating food at dinnertime. So, I ate healthy food and filled my stomach and my craving passed. I went to bed at 9:30pm, woke up this morning at 6:30am, took my dog for a long walk, drank some coffee, and now I've just registered and now I'm posting. I'm going to work at 11am, not hungover.

I will look into AA Meetings because I know they work for me, if I stick to the suggestions and keep going to them.

I'm happy right now.

Thanks for being here for me to post.
Old 09-12-2010, 09:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Welcome back to the land of the living!

Yeah, do get back to AA. If it was helping you before, it will help you again. It will help even more if you follow instructions. (That's me talking to myself, too--I have a tendency to want to do things my own way, and it doesn't always work so well.)
Old 09-12-2010, 09:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That's great! 3 days is quite an accomplishment! Being an alcoholic is insane, isn't it? I had a number of arguments with myself, convincing me that it would be fine to have a drink. I never made it passed 2 or 3 days before I started coming here. I went 22 days and then last night... so Back on Day 1 and sticking to coming here this time! It really helps!!

3 and 4 days were toughest for me but it's different for everyone. you CAN DO THIS!
Old 09-12-2010, 10:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It's crazy, the arguing with myself. I know I'm addicted to alcohol because I can't stop not drinking. I found out about 10 years ago that I was allergic to dungeness crab. I ate some, got sick, thought wow, it must be the crab. I doubted that answer only once. I tried it again, got sick, and said "I can't eat that crab ever again". I have never had it again, I can look at it in the store and not give it a second glance. I can look at in a food magazine, not give it a second thought. I can even pass on appetizers right in front of me with it in it - not even try to take a bite. Now do that with alcohol? No way. Proof again that I obsess over alcohol, drink it even though I know it will make me sick, and do it over and over again. Sick.
Thank you for the words of encouragement, one minute at a time for me right now.
Old 09-12-2010, 10:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good job last night, Junior! I could have written your post a couple of days ago. I, too, lose the craving for alcohol once I've eaten a meal. Yes, "normal" people (not us) automatically go right to the meal and don't even consider derailing and making the side-trip to a party for one. Keep on keeping on!
Old 09-12-2010, 10:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Junior,

Happy SOBER SUNDAY! My first sober Sunday was last sunday but it was only day 2 not drinking so felt like sh't. Today is great and the people here are great. Listen and take in what they say and learn from it what you can. This is a wonderful place and I know that I will stay, I hope that you do too.
Old 09-12-2010, 10:26 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I kept a journal for the first week jotting down how I was feeling each day, what triggers came my way, and how I got through it. Also, I stocked up on chocolate and candy. Sugar cravings hit me big time! Come here and keep posting, letting us know how you're doing. I posted daily and I think it really helped me as well as others who were struggling.

Your accomplishments encourage others! Keep it up!
Old 09-12-2010, 11:42 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Junior - I know the feelings and thoughts you have described well. I am on day 24 but have been down this path before. But in the past I always made the decision to give "normal" drinking a try because I couldn't begin to entertain the idea of saying good-bye to wine forever and ever and ever. So this time I reached out here and am giving AA a try and it has been very good so far. I need to keep things structured. I am enjoying how I feel and my rational mind tells me I'd be crazy to ever pick up a drink again. But this is not all about being rational or none of us would be here!! But we are on the right path.
Old 09-12-2010, 01:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Grateful Member

Hi and welcome Junior! Glad to have you with us!

And welcome back eremc!!
Old 09-12-2010, 01:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Welcome to SR! Nice job Junior...Congrats!
Old 09-12-2010, 03:07 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Junior
and welcome back eremc - good to see you got right back up again.

D
Old 09-12-2010, 04:00 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Ok guys, I made it through work, short day today - 11-3. I came home, unloaded the dishwasher, and there was my wine glass from last Wednesday night. Of course, trigger for me. I looked at it and the thoughts of "oh, it's ok, just tonight and start over again tomorrow". But, instead I ate a bunch of watermellon and made a cup of hot tea with lemonaide crystal lite added to it. I'm drinking that now and I'm posting to keep connected and to keep honest.
We are invited to dinner at my sister in-laws at 5pm. They are not alcoholic. Normally I would sneak booze down my throat before we go, hold my breath or talk real low while in the car for the drive over so my husband won't smell my breath. Instead today I am drinking my tea, defrosting chicken breasts to grill, and I will not sneak before we leave.
I have a plan to go walking after dinner when we get home too.
One minute at a time for me - so far so good. Also, I have the pocket version of BB with me - going to read some right now.
Thanks for listening.
Old 09-12-2010, 04:20 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Good decisions Junior...stay strong.
Old 09-12-2010, 08:09 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

K, so now I'm home from dinner at my sister in-laws. No drinking for me on this first Sunday in a long time without alcohol. I've prepared my coffee pot for brewing in the morning, going to take a shower, pamper my skin with good lotion, brush my teeth (which is something that I don't do when I'm drunk at night) and go to bed. I can't tell you guys how good it feels to have made it through today.

Earlier this afternoon my brain was telling me to drink. I read the BB, stayed busy, and ate healthy food and drank a lot of water. I usually don't eat, I like drinking on an empty stomach, get drunk faster. So to go through a day with proper eating schedule is huge. I'll get up in the morning, take the dog for a walk, drink coffee, eat a bowl of grapenuts with raisins, and go to work - without a hangover.
I'm writing all this, as I need to see my plan in writing - it makes it do-able.
Thanks for being here, g'night.
Old 09-12-2010, 11:05 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hi Junior - good to have you with us, and good job for getting through the weekend sober! It sounds like you are doing some really positive things (like eating!). And those mornings with a hangover...... priceless! Keep posting and reading - we're all in this thing together!:ghug3
Old 09-13-2010, 02:27 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Junior33 View Post
Hi Everyone,
I drink, wake up hating myself for what I've done, promise not to do it again, about 2 days later when all effects of hangover are gone - my thinking tells me I can do it again. Insanity.
Welcome to SR!! You will find plenty of support and info and experience. I read this quote from your post and said.....oh man that was my life. Not always 2 days....usually the next morning or maybe a day off. Then right back into the vicious cycle. Year after year.

I got sober and got help and reached out for support. You can do this and I am proud of you for standing up and saying.....no more.

Keep sharing.....looking forward to the journey.
Old 09-13-2010, 04:35 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family Junior! Congrats on your good start to a better sober life!
Old 09-13-2010, 02:39 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Good Job! It is weird at first to eat instead of drinking the feeling away - I can relate to that. I've been reading this book "Under The Influence" by James R. Milam, and he talks about the severe malnutrition we put our bodies through while drinking. I'm just over the 30 day mark and I am enjoying the feeling of waking up hang-over-free immensely. Plus, the up and down mood swings are not near as bad now. Keep it up and keep posting! Congratulations!